What kind of computers are in use at Mission Control Center?

Old December 10th 06, 03:32 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
j_m_k__

Default What kind of computers are in use at Mission Control Center?

Hi,

Here in Sweden we have seen a lot of clips from Mission Control Center,
Mission Launch Center and from Flight Control. I wonder what kind of
computers are in use and what operating system they are using? I have
seen tracking with familiar Linux and windows IDE. Mission critical
software runs on Unix, maybe?

Old December 10th 06, 04:51 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jorge R. Frank

"j_m_k__" wrote in news:1165764768.618660.208500
@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com:

Here in Sweden we have seen a lot of clips from Mission Control Center,
Mission Launch Center and from Flight Control. I wonder what kind of
computers are in use and what operating system they are using?

Mainly DEC Alpha workstations running Unix for the critical tasks, PCs
running Windows (on a separate network) for the non-critical tasks.

The DECs are quite obsolete (two mergers ago...) and NASA is looking at
replacing them with PCs running Linux.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old December 10th 06, 08:35 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
j_m_k__

So mainly DEC's True64 Unix, no VMS? All that stuff looks like kind of
new on TV with nice graphics, I mean mainly clips with computers behind
Mike Leinbach.

Old December 10th 06, 09:42 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Danny Dot[_1_]

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message
"j_m_k__" wrote in news:1165764768.618660.208500
@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com:

Here in Sweden we have seen a lot of clips from Mission Control Center,
Mission Launch Center and from Flight Control. I wonder what kind of
computers are in use and what operating system they are using?

Mainly DEC Alpha workstations running Unix for the critical tasks, PCs
running Windows (on a separate network) for the non-critical tasks.

The DECs are quite obsolete (two mergers ago...) and NASA is looking at
replacing them with PCs running Linux.

What about the mainframe (I think called the MOC)? Is it still in
operation?

Danny Dot

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.

Old December 10th 06, 09:43 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jorge R. Frank

"j_m_k__" wrote in
ups.com:

So mainly DEC's True64 Unix, no VMS? All that stuff looks like kind of
new on TV with nice graphics, I mean mainly clips with computers
behind Mike Leinbach.

Right, no VMS. Though I don't remember it being "True64" Unix.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old December 10th 06, 09:49 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jorge R. Frank

"Danny Dot" wrote in news:3b%eh.6266$qp1.3100
@tornado.texas.rr.com:

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message
"j_m_k__" wrote in news:1165764768.618660.208500
@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com:

Here in Sweden we have seen a lot of clips from Mission Control Center,
Mission Launch Center and from Flight Control. I wonder what kind of
computers are in use and what operating system they are using?

Mainly DEC Alpha workstations running Unix for the critical tasks, PCs
running Windows (on a separate network) for the non-critical tasks.

The DECs are quite obsolete (two mergers ago...) and NASA is looking at
replacing them with PCs running Linux.

What about the mainframe (I think called the MOC)? Is it still in
operation?

Nope, it's finally been decommissioned, replaced by a new Trajectory
Server.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old December 11th 06, 05:49 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
j_m_k__

Jorge R. Frank skrev:

"j_m_k__" wrote in
ups.com:

So mainly DEC's True64 Unix, no VMS? All that stuff looks like kind of
new on TV with nice graphics, I mean mainly clips with computers
behind Mike Leinbach.

Right, no VMS. Though I don't remember it being "True64" Unix.

No, of course not. It's 'tru64 unix', derivate from OSF/1 I think. My
mistake, sorry...

Old December 13th 06, 02:45 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Danny Dot[_1_]

[...]

Does it emulate the MOC (e.g. use GDR and run the MOC code), or did they
bite the bullet and rewrite a BUNCH of code?

Danny Dot

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.