SRB Gimbal potential issues

Old December 7th 06, 02:31 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

Default SRB Gimbal potential issues

Hi all,
Just a general question to the group as I can't do any research on this
issue due to web restrictions. I'm wondering how the gimbals on the SRB's
are controlled and whether there have been any issues / glitches in the
development of the system that controlling them. I'm also curious as to
whether any issues have ocurred to date with the SRB's (related to the
gimbals) in flight before separation?

Any response appreciated - thanks :-)

Old December 7th 06, 03:14 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Danny Dot[_1_]

"B" wrote in message
Hi all,
Just a general question to the group as I can't do any research on this
issue due to web restrictions. I'm wondering how the gimbals on the SRB's
are controlled and whether there have been any issues / glitches in the
development of the system that controlling them. I'm also curious as to
whether any issues have ocurred to date with the SRB's (related to the
gimbals) in flight before separation?

Any response appreciated - thanks :-)

The SRB gymbals are very much like the SSME gymbals one the orbiter. There
are power units on the SRBs that generate hydraulic power. The commands
from all 4 computers that are in the shuttle, GPCs, are "filtered" in a box
called the Aero Surface Amplifier (ASA) and this command then goes to the
hydrualic actuator on the SRBs.

I know of now problems with the system that has ever happened in testing or
in flight.

Danny Deger