Better spent

Old November 30th 06, 06:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Paul Bunion

Default Better spent

Where would we be if all the money spent on Iraq were spent on NASA?
Old November 30th 06, 06:59 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:35:56 GMT, in a place far, far away, Paul
Bunion made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Where would we be if all the money spent on Iraq were spent on NASA?

Not that there's any chance of this happening, but probably not much
more advanced in space from where we are, given the way NASA wastes
money.
Old November 30th 06, 07:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Eric Chomko

Rand Simberg wrote:
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:35:56 GMT, in a place far, far away, Paul
Bunion made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Where would we be if all the money spent on Iraq were spent on NASA?

Not that there's any chance of this happening, but probably not much
more advanced in space from where we are, given the way NASA wastes
money.

But not like the DOD does. At 26 times the NASA budget, is our war
machine worth 26 times our space program? I don't think so.

I dare you take a poll asking if people think that the DOD is worth 26
times more than NASA. Go ahead, Rand...

Eric

Old November 30th 06, 07:58 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

"Eric Chomko" wrote in message
ups.com...
I dare you take a poll asking if people think that the DOD is worth 26
times more than NASA. Go ahead, Rand...

Depends. Are you polling the sci.space readership, registered US voters,
the entire American public, or what?

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Old November 30th 06, 09:14 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Paul Bunion

Rand Simberg wrote:
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:35:56 GMT, in a place far, far away, Paul
Bunion made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Where would we be if all the money spent on Iraq were spent on NASA?

Not that there's any chance of this happening, but probably not much
more advanced in space from where we are, given the way NASA wastes
money.

For that amount of money seems we could have a growing moonbase with
minderal exploration, mining, smelting and construction of robotic and
manned space exploration vehicles. Not to mention all the support,
personal flying transportation, hydroponic gardening, electrical
generation and waste disposal/recycling.
Old November 30th 06, 09:37 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 20:14:46 GMT, in a place far, far away, Paul

Rand Simberg wrote:
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:35:56 GMT, in a place far, far away, Paul
Bunion made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Where would we be if all the money spent on Iraq were spent on NASA?

Not that there's any chance of this happening, but probably not much
more advanced in space from where we are, given the way NASA wastes
money.

For that amount of money seems we could have a growing moonbase with
minderal exploration, mining, smelting and construction of robotic and
manned space exploration vehicles.

Unlikely. Perhaps some new space agency could do that, but not NASA.
And even if it weren't so laughably unrealistic to think that the
nation would spend that much, NASA doesn't lack money. It lacks the
national will to do those things, rather than ensure continued jobs in
key congressional districts.
Old November 30th 06, 10:49 PM posted to sci.space.policy
zonker

Paul Bunion wrote:
Where would we be if all the money spent on Iraq were spent on NASA?

A massive moon base and our manned flight to Mars would probably be
under way as well as being able to send another probe to Titan.

Peace
Zonker

http://2000ah.blogspot.com/

Old December 1st 06, 02:31 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Frank Glover[_1_]

Paul Bunion wrote:
Where would we be if all the money spent on Iraq were spent on NASA?

Didn't we do this one, lately...?

--

Frank

You know what to remove to reply...

Check out my web page: http://www.geocities.com/stardolphin1/link2.htm

"To confine our attention to terrestrial matters would be to limit the
human spirit."
- Stephen Hawking
Old December 1st 06, 02:34 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 01:31:15 GMT, in a place far, far away, Frank
Glover made the phosphor on my monitor

Paul Bunion wrote:
Where would we be if all the money spent on Iraq were spent on NASA?

Didn't we do this one, lately...?

The supply of (anonymous, since it's unlikely that there's anyone with
the actual name of "Paul Bunion") clueless people is endless...
Old December 2nd 06, 06:59 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

"Eric Chomko" wrote:

:
:Rand Simberg wrote:
: On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:35:56 GMT, in a place far, far away, Paul
: Bunion made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
: such a way as to indicate that:
:
: Where would we be if all the money spent on Iraq were spent on NASA?
:
: Not that there's any chance of this happening, but probably not much
: more advanced in space from where we are, given the way NASA wastes
: money.
:
:But not like the DOD does. At 26 times the NASA budget, is our war
:machine worth 26 times our space program? I don't think so.
:
:I dare you take a poll asking if people think that the DOD is worth 26
:times more than NASA. Go ahead, Rand...

I suspect the answer he'll get back is "No, it's worth much more than
26 times what NASA is worth."

--
You have never lived until you have almost died.
Life has a special meaning that the protected