Reprint of "lost" spaceflight classic...

Old January 10th 06, 01:30 PM posted to sci.space.history

Default Reprint of "lost" spaceflight classic...

I've just this week made available a reprint of a "lost" classic
spaceflight novel, "The Moon-Maker", by Arthur Train and Robert
Williams Wood.

It's plot about a nuclear-powered rocket on a mission to divert an
asteroid from an imminent collision with the earth might not sound
exactly like ground-breaking science fiction...except that this book
was written in 1916.

The science in the novel is extraordinary...it is probably the most
accurate description of a spacecraft and spaceflight until the latter
part of the 20th century...indeed, there is very little wrong even by
today's standards. Moreover, it is the first time that the threat of an
asteroid impact was ever made in literature...and the solution to the
problem is precisely that being advocated by Jay Melosh and others.

The story is fast-paced and filled with humor and adventure (to say
nothing of featuring a heroine who was at least 50 years ahead of her
time)---and is as readable now as it was 90 years ago.

The two authors were Arthur Train---one of the best-selling mystery
writers of his time---and Robert Williams Wood---one of the premiere
physicists of the past century.

This is the first time the book has been made available in half a
century. The reprint can be found he

http://www.lulu.com/content/215456

Ron

Old January 10th 06, 04:58 PM posted to sci.space.history

Ron Miller wrote:

I've just this week made available a reprint of a "lost" classic
spaceflight novel, "The Moon-Maker", by Arthur Train and Robert
Williams Wood.

Are you ever going to do a illustrated version of "The War Of the Worlds"?
I'd love to see your take on the interior of a Martian War Machine, and
its operating principles.

Pat
Old January 10th 06, 06:40 PM posted to sci.space.history

Pat Flannery wrote:
Ron Miller wrote:

I've just this week made available a reprint of a "lost" classic
spaceflight novel, "The Moon-Maker", by Arthur Train and Robert
Williams Wood.

Are you ever going to do a illustrated version of "The War Of the Worlds"?
I'd love to see your take on the interior of a Martian War Machine, and
its operating principles.

Pat

Me, too!

That's a pretty good idea! Make a nice project for this Spring...

Old January 10th 06, 09:07 PM posted to sci.space.history

Ron Miller wrote:

Me, too!

That's a pretty good idea! Make a nice project for this Spring...

Your plans for the interior of the Nautilus are gracing the inside lid
of my cigar box with "Mobilis in Mobile" and a big "N" on the lid.
The Thunder Child would be fun to see also; it's based on this ship:
http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.u...polyphemus.htm
That bow ram was really something:
http://www.geocities.jp/ironclad_tri...polyphemus.jpg

Pat
Old January 11th 06, 07:21 PM posted to sci.space.history

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Ron Miller wrote:

I've just this week made available a reprint of a "lost" classic
spaceflight novel, "The Moon-Maker", by Arthur Train and Robert
Williams Wood.

It's plot about a nuclear-powered rocket on a mission to divert an
asteroid from an imminent collision with the earth might not sound
exactly like ground-breaking science fiction...except that this book
was written in 1916.

[...]
The two authors were Arthur Train---one of the best-selling mystery
writers of his time---and Robert Williams Wood---one of the premiere
physicists of the past century.

And legendary prankster! He orginated the massive-gyroscope-in-a-suitcase
trick, alarming bellboys everywhere. He'd conspicuously spit into a puddle
while covertly tossing a sliver of metallic sodium into it. I hadn't
realized he'd written any science fiction.

This is the first time the book has been made available in half a
century. The reprint can be found he

http://www.lulu.com/content/215456

Sounds like a cool book. Eight bucks for the paper edition. I see there's
an e-book version for $1.57.

Looking further, you seem to be bringing out a bunch of your own
out-of-print books through Lulu, a print-on-demand publisher. Calendars,
too.

For those who need to add more of Ron Miller's art and/or writings to their
libraries: http://www.lulu.com/Black-Cat-Press

--
Bill Higgins | "After the Singularity,
Fermilab | sarcasm will be reliably transmitted on Usenet."
Old January 11th 06, 07:53 PM posted to sci.space.history

Bill Higgins wrote:

http://www.lulu.com/content/215456

Sounds like a cool book.

It is. I got me a copy a few years back, thanks to the magic of Ebay...
it's surprisingly good. Not near as cheesy as a lot of the sci-fi works
of the time.

Old January 11th 06, 09:02 PM posted to sci.space.history

In article .com,
Ron Miller wrote:
This is the first time the book has been made available in half a
century. The reprint can be found he
http://www.lulu.com/content/215456

"Item not available."
Old January 11th 06, 11:07 PM posted to sci.space.history

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:02:33 GMT, (Henry Spencer)
wrote:

In article .com,
Ron Miller wrote:
This is the first time the book has been made available in half a
century. The reprint can be found he
http://www.lulu.com/content/215456

"Item not available."

"Persons buying this item also purchased..."

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old January 11th 06, 11:26 PM posted to sci.space.history

In message , Henry Spencer
writes
In article .com,
Ron Miller wrote:
This is the first time the book has been made available in half a
century. The reprint can be found he
http://www.lulu.com/content/215456

"Item not available."

Works OK here.

Show some netiquette Saul Levy Misc 18 September 11th 05 10:52 AM
Show some netiquette Rising Loonie Astronomy Misc 17 September 11th 05 10:52 AM
kookdancers digest [email protected] Astronomy Misc 4 July 30th 05 06:41 AM
kookdancers digest [email protected] Astronomy Misc 43 July 25th 05 10:20 PM
Talk to Congress about Commercial Human Spaceflight Edward Wright Policy 16 October 14th 03 12:20 AM