Hobbies that are slowly dying due to apathetic millenials

Old October 16th 16, 08:56 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

Default Hobbies that are slowly dying due to apathetic millenials

Electronics, ham radio, amateur astronomy, microscopy, stamp collecting, woodworking (most of it), metal working. The millenials and teens only want to play video games, text on their cellphones and go to restaurants to be seen. One growing hobby is metal-detecting because of the desperation of the fading middle class.
Old October 16th 16, 03:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Sunday, 16 October 2016 09:56:23 UTC+2, RichA wrote:
Electronics, ham radio, amateur astronomy, microscopy, stamp collecting, woodworking (most of it), metal working. The millenials and teens only want to play video games, text on their cellphones and go to restaurants to be seen. One growing hobby is metal-detecting because of the desperation of the fading middle class.

Desperately fading? Are we talking colours as in the [allegedly] desperate habit of wearing fawn polyester into maturity? Or do they suffer from some half-life which denies them the internal glow of youth? Is there some peculiar metallic content of the middle classes which makes them particularly suitable targets for metal detecting by millennials? And, does this involve burying them first? Perhaps we should be told? Preferably before I have to start searching unnecessarily for my pick and shovel and change out of my fawn polyester jacket and trousers in case I get muddy.
Old October 16th 16, 03:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 1:56:23 AM UTC-6, RichA wrote:
Electronics, ham radio, amateur astronomy, microscopy, stamp collecting,
woodworking (most of it), metal working. The millenials and teens only want to
play video games, text on their cellphones and go to restaurants to be seen.
One growing hobby is metal-detecting because of the desperation of the fading
middle class.

You forgot model railroading!

John Savard
Old October 16th 16, 03:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 00:56:16 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

Electronics, ham radio, amateur astronomy, microscopy, stamp collecting, woodworking (most of it), metal working. The millenials and teens only want to play video games, text on their cellphones and go to restaurants to be seen. One growing hobby is metal-detecting because of the desperation of the fading middle class.

And get off my lawn!
Old October 16th 16, 03:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 8:35:43 AM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

Desperately fading? Are we talking colours as in the [allegedly] desperate
habit of wearing fawn polyester into maturity? Or do they suffer from some
half-life which denies them the internal glow of youth?

I should have thought his meaning was clear.

The middle class is being eroded by economic changes, and so people are being
kicked out of it due to a lack of money. This makes them desperate, and so
they're turning to metal detectors in the hope of finding buried treasure.

John Savard
Old October 16th 16, 03:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Sunday, 16 October 2016 16:48:16 UTC+2, Quadibloc wrote:
On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 8:35:43 AM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

Desperately fading? Are we talking colours as in the [allegedly] desperate
habit of wearing fawn polyester into maturity? Or do they suffer from some
half-life which denies them the internal glow of youth?

I should have thought his meaning was clear.

The middle class is being eroded by economic changes, and so people are being
kicked out of it due to a lack of money. This makes them desperate, and so
they're turning to metal detectors in the hope of finding buried treasure.

John Savard

Thank you for the clarification.
Do you get out much..?
With your humour detector. ;o))
Old October 16th 16, 04:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Sunday, 16 October 2016 10:48:16 UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 8:35:43 AM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

Desperately fading? Are we talking colours as in the [allegedly] desperate
habit of wearing fawn polyester into maturity? Or do they suffer from some
half-life which denies them the internal glow of youth?

I should have thought his meaning was clear.

The middle class is being eroded by economic changes, and so people are being
kicked out of it due to a lack of money. This makes them desperate, and so
they're turning to metal detectors in the hope of finding buried treasure.

John Savard

I've read a couple of stories about just this. Unfortunately, metal detecting tends to yield things like old dimes to most people who engage in it. Some get lucky.
Old October 16th 16, 04:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Sunday, 16 October 2016 17:00:14 UTC+2, RichA wrote:
On Sunday, 16 October 2016 10:48:16 UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 8:35:43 AM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

Desperately fading? Are we talking colours as in the [allegedly] desperate
habit of wearing fawn polyester into maturity? Or do they suffer from some
half-life which denies them the internal glow of youth?

I should have thought his meaning was clear.

The middle class is being eroded by economic changes, and so people are being
kicked out of it due to a lack of money. This makes them desperate, and so
they're turning to metal detectors in the hope of finding buried treasure.

John Savard

I've read a couple of stories about just this. Unfortunately, metal detecting tends to yield things like old dimes to most people who engage in it. Some get lucky.

What is the law on found archeological items in precious metals?
The UK has a fairly decent system [I believe] which rewards the finder.
Other countries do not and the find belongs to the crown or the exchequer.
This is likely to lead straight to eBay.
Old October 16th 16, 04:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

RichA wrote:
On Sunday, 16 October 2016 10:48:16 UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 8:35:43 AM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

Desperately fading? Are we talking colours as in the [allegedly] desperate
habit of wearing fawn polyester into maturity? Or do they suffer from some
half-life which denies them the internal glow of youth?

I should have thought his meaning was clear.

The middle class is being eroded by economic changes, and so people are being
kicked out of it due to a lack of money. This makes them desperate, and so
they're turning to metal detectors in the hope of finding buried treasure.

John Savard

I've read a couple of stories about just this. Unfortunately, metal
detecting tends to yield things like old dimes to most people who engage
in it. Some get lucky.

Almost all the people I see doing this are middle aged or older.

http://www.norfolkmetaldetectingtours.com/site/

And finds in Norfolk can be good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34930450

Old October 16th 16, 06:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Sunday, 16 October 2016 17:18:12 UTC+2, Mike Collins wrote:

Almost all the people I see doing this are middle aged or older.

It can make you old before your time!
I tried it once and didn't like it.
It kept howling in the earphones because the garden is full of old, iron junk. Probably from hundreds of years of agricultural occupation by obsessive, scrap metal farmers!