Ideal Intermediate astro book?

Old September 10th 03, 03:48 PM
Adam

Default Ideal Intermediate astro book?

Is there an intermediate stage astro book/map that falls between (for
example) the Collins pocket guide and Burnams that provides a map of each
constellation and short description of more than just a handful of objects
contained in the constellation. I'm looking for a few more descriptions
than you can find in Petersons, and with much more usable maps.

Adam

Old September 10th 03, 06:42 PM
edz

"Adam" wrote in message ...
Is there an intermediate stage astro book/map that falls between (for
example) the Collins pocket guide and Burnams that provides a map of each
constellation and short description of more than just a handful of objects
contained in the constellation. I'm looking for a few more descriptions
than you can find in Petersons, and with much more usable maps.

Adam

Adam,

you need more than one book to fill that void. I let you read these
short reviews and you can make your own choice, if any seem what you
are looking for.
http://www.cloudynights.com/books/books-general.htm

edz
Old September 10th 03, 09:04 PM
SPQR

"Adam" wrote in message ...
Is there an intermediate stage astro book/map that falls between (for
example) the Collins pocket guide and Burnams that provides a map of each
constellation and short description of more than just a handful of objects
contained in the constellation. I'm looking for a few more descriptions
than you can find in Petersons, and with much more usable maps.

Adam

"Skywatching," by David Levy. It's a Nature Company publication.
Avaliable new from Amazon for around $25.00 but you can get used
copies through Amazon for under $10.00.

I bought a used copy from an Amazon affiliate, paid $9.00 plus
shipping and it was in perfect condition.

Also:

"Turn Left at Orion"

SPQR

Old September 10th 03, 09:16 PM
Rune Allnor

"Adam" wrote in message ...
Is there an intermediate stage astro book/map that falls between (for
example) the Collins pocket guide and Burnams that provides a map of each
constellation and short description of more than just a handful of objects
contained in the constellation. I'm looking for a few more descriptions
than you can find in Petersons, and with much more usable maps.

I take the liberty to join in on this question, hoping for tips about
basic and intermediate book(s) that give descriptions of
"Messier-type"
objects. Half an hour ago I was outside to see the M57 nebula, and
have
just found a web page where it was described,
http://www.seds.org/messier/m/m057.html.

This M57 thing is a quite fascinating object, and I want to learn more
about it as well as other objects. I guess a book on basics on stars
and star evolution would be useful as well.

Rune
Old September 11th 03, 05:22 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Adam wrote:
Is there an intermediate stage astro book/map that falls between (for
example) the Collins pocket guide and Burnams that provides a map of
each constellation and short description of more than just a handful of
objects contained in the constellation.

Your description of what you wanted made me think of Levy's
_Skywatching_ (although I would classify it more as a beginners' book,
not an intermediate one). More details of it, and several other astro
books (some of which may meet your requirements) in the books section of
my web site.

Best,
Stephen

--
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +