a scientific "proof" of astrology

Old June 11th 21, 04:18 AM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

Default a scientific "proof" of astrology

As the man said, if someone says something is IMPOSSIBLE they are most
likely wrong.

I recalled Einstein's comment in the middle of a project that was
looking into predicting earthquakes. These are the kinds of
interesting number-crunching exercises you get into in the exciting
world of Data Science.

On yet ANOTHER project I tinkered up a simple s/w that runs a series
of statistical tests to decide whether some dataset exists that "looks
like" a given target. The s/w is complex and somewhat AI (aka
"unpredictable" aka "unreliable") so I won't go into that. But the
summary is you can take a dataset like the average depth of mag
4+ earthquakes month by month since 2015 (say) and find out which
other data seems to predict that.

You could have knocked me down with a feather when 2 things showed up.

(a) cosmic rays
(b) planetary positions

It seems unambiguous that the strength of cosmic rays seems to affect
the depth of earthquakes. The strongest relationship the s/w found was
the more radiation at IRK3 (a cosmic ray telescope at Irkutsk) the
more shallow major quakes around the world. Usually the average depth
of major quakes in a month is at ~75 km. But if radiation at IRK3 is
around 6k events/min higher then the depth approximately halves. A
big effect, one would think.

Almost every cosmic ray telescope in the network I used (based in
Moscow) showed a similar effect. The more radiation the shallower the
average major quake activity in a given month.

As some of you may know cosmic rays are not usually detected directly,
but via secondary radiation that streams down from the upper atm as
"real" cosmic particles slam into gas molecules. So there may be some
quibble as to if we're really seeing something related to cosmic rays
or from some other effect in the upper atm. Either way it's "unusual".

As to the second effect -- planetary positions. Also a bit of a
surprise. The RA and Dec of outer planets seems to highly correlate
with quake depth. How can this be?

The obvious like -- it's the same thing. I.e. the position of some
planets modifies the solar radiation/megnetic/wind fields in such a
way that cosmic rays as detected on earth are affected.

So -- as I said -- you could have knocked me over with a feather when
I realized all that talk from my mother that the planets rule the fate
of men and she was a white witch and all that ... it was all true!

It seems there is then something ever so slightly to astrology. The
positions of the planets seem to affect cosmic rays and cosmic rays
seem to influence at least earthquakes. Other output from the AI also
showed planetary positions affect weather and even climate as well.

So when some scientist examines the data and claims there is nothing
to astrology they are most likely talking through their hat.

If anyone begs me for the outputs from the computer s/w I can of
course post or email them.

--
Upcoming events:
9 Jul 2021 NOAA bn Dollar Disasters Q2

New quantum entanglement verification method cuts through the noise
physicsworld.com, 10 Jun 2021 10:15Z
Quantum error correction - a crucial ingredient in bringing quantum
computers into the mainstream - relies on sharing entanglement between many
particles at ...

Eviation's All-Electric Luxury Aircraft Is About to Take Flight
Interesting Engineering, 09 Jun 2021 20:14Z
This all-electric airplane uses its fuselage as a third wing! And its ultra-
lightweight materials optimize its 500-mile range.

Contacting aliens could end all life on earth. Let's stop trying.
Washington Post, 10 Jun 2021 09:09Z
the govt plans to publish a report revealing what they know.
Reportedly, the govt will say there's no proof of ...

'It's gone, it's just gone': Kelly's property was devastated by last night's
storm
ABC News, 10 Jun 2021 04:36Z
Kelly van den Berg knew she was in for a tough night when water started
pouring out of the light fittings in her ceiling. She's one of 1000s of
Victorians cleaning up after last night's storm.

Asteroid 16 Psyche might not be what scientists expected
Phys.org, 09 Jun 2021 20:45Z
The widely studied metallic asteroid known as 16 Psyche was long thought to
be the exposed iron core of a small planet that failed to form during the
earliest ...

Heat wave hits fifth day, but relief on the way
WFSB, 09 Jun 2021 20:43Z
Hartford, CT (WFSB). The first heat wave of the season for Connecticut hit
its fifth day on Wed. The temperature hit 90 degrees at Bradley ...

Victoria investigates source of infection for 4 new local cases
ABC News, 9 Jun 2021 at 10:58pm
The new cases are from the same household and were detected from 23,679
tests processed on Wed, Victorian health authorities said.

NSW Health Minister says Victorian couple placed state in 'real danger' of
COVID outbreak
ABC News, 10 Jun 2021 0:54Z
Investigations continue into why a Victorian couple left lockdown in
Melbourne, travelling across NSW and into Queensland while infectious, with
NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard saying they should face action if they have
"simply thumbed their nose at the law".

Husband of woman who tested positive to COVID-19 on Sunshine Coast also has
the virus
ABC News, 9 Jun 2021 at 11:28pm
The husband of a COVID-positive woman who left Melbourne lockdown
and travelled into south-east Queensland tests positive for the
virus as people across the region scramble to get tested.
[Initial reports said the couple had travelled together in a car
across 2 states for a week after she started showing covid symptoms
yet he was not infected. Had not been tested, more like].

[Mystery Radio Signals:]
More than 500 mysterious quick radio bursts detected by Chime telescope in
its first year of operation
The Sun, 09 Jun 2021 21:05Z
HUNDREDS of mysterious fast radio bursts have been recorded by a telescope
in its first year of operation, astronomers said ...

Mysterious fast radio bursts come in 2 distinct flavours
Nature.com, 10 Jun 2021 11:24Z
A trove of new detections suggests that the bursts could be the result of
at least 2 separate astrophysical phenomena.

[Mystery Boom:]
`Earthquake, sonic boom, or explosion?' Mystery rumble jolts California city
Fort Worth Star-Telegram, 09 Jun 2021 14:34Z
Earthquake, sonic boom, or explosion?" Residents from Coronado to Chula
Vista and Vista reported hearing a loud booming noise just before 8:30 p.m.,
KGTV reported. The US Geological Survey did not ...

[The Tsar:]
With a Ban on Navalny's Group, Putin Sends a Message to Biden
The New York Times, 10 Jun 2021 00:39Z
The move, just a week before their summit, will likely push the Russian
opposition further underground and was a signal that the country's domestic
affairs are ...

Major Scientific Leap: Quantum Microscope Created That Can See the Impossible
SciTechDaily, 09 Jun 2021 15:57Z
In a major scientific leap, University of Queensland researchers have
created a quantum microscope that can reveal biological structures that
would otherwise ...

Keystone XL Pipeline Project Is Canceled
The New York Times, 10 Jun 2021 00:12Z
The Canadian pipeline company that had long sought to build the Keystone XL
pipeline announced Wed that it had terminated the embattled project, ...

It's not just your imagination - ticks are out of control this year
Salon, 09 Jun 2021 14:00Z
Here's why, and what climate change has to do with it.

Tue's Internet Outage Was Caused By One Customer Changing A Setting,
Fastly Says
NPR, 09 Jun 2021 11:58Z
London. Fastly, the company hit by a major outage that caused many of
the world's top websites to go offline briefly this week, blamed the problem
on a ...