Mercury sequence

Old February 25th 06, 10:46 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

Default Mercury sequence

I popped down to the beach to capture a quick picture of Mercury. It
was perishing tonight. Took one shot and decided to try and be clever
and take a sequence. Unfortunately to be clever you need to prepare
and I hadn't! I'd left my remote timer at home as well as my watch.
The only timer I had was in my head so between each photo, I stood on
the freezing sea wall like a lemon counting from 1 to 60! At least it
proves I'm consistent ;-)

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/Mercury...006-02-25.html

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old February 25th 06, 11:54 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

Pete Lawrence wrote:
I popped down to the beach to capture a quick picture of Mercury. It
was perishing tonight. Took one shot and decided to try and be clever
and take a sequence. Unfortunately to be clever you need to prepare
and I hadn't! I'd left my remote timer at home as well as my watch.
The only timer I had was in my head so between each photo, I stood on
the freezing sea wall like a lemon counting from 1 to 60! At least it
proves I'm consistent ;-)

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/Mercury...006-02-25.html

Pete,

With images like that to look at on line, this "Aging Amateur
Astronomer" can be a virtual astronnomer .. letting the zealots like
you run out to capture neat stuff like you always do

Phil
Old February 26th 06, 12:04 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 23:54:34 GMT, Phil Wheeler
wrote:

Pete Lawrence wrote:
I popped down to the beach to capture a quick picture of Mercury. It
was perishing tonight. Took one shot and decided to try and be clever
and take a sequence. Unfortunately to be clever you need to prepare
and I hadn't! I'd left my remote timer at home as well as my watch.
The only timer I had was in my head so between each photo, I stood on
the freezing sea wall like a lemon counting from 1 to 60! At least it
proves I'm consistent ;-)

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/Mercury...006-02-25.html

Pete,

With images like that to look at on line, this "Aging Amateur
Astronomer" can be a virtual astronnomer .. letting the zealots like
you run out to capture neat stuff like you always do

That would be sad Phil - especially as my intention is to try and
encourage rather than discourage. Still it was cold out there and I
would have been happier to have stayed indoors for this one if I'm
brutally honest :-o
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old February 26th 06, 12:05 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

Pete Lawrence wrote:

Pete,

With images like that to look at on line, this "Aging Amateur
Astronomer" can be a virtual astronnomer .. letting the zealots like
you run out to capture neat stuff like you always do

That would be sad Phil - especially as my intention is to try and
encourage rather than discourage. Still it was cold out there and I
would have been happier to have stayed indoors for this one if I'm
brutally honest :-o

The real thing is that, since I seem never to see a sunset (coastal
clouds) no way I can see Murcury either.

Same problem this morning when I popped out before sunrise to see Venus
and the comet: No dice.

Lately it's been clear days, but cloudy nights. And we have rain in the
forcast for 4 of the next 5 days.

Phil
Old February 26th 06, 12:06 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
I popped down to the beach to capture a quick picture of Mercury. It
was perishing tonight. Took one shot and decided to try and be clever
and take a sequence. Unfortunately to be clever you need to prepare
and I hadn't! I'd left my remote timer at home as well as my watch.
The only timer I had was in my head so between each photo, I stood on
the freezing sea wall like a lemon counting from 1 to 60! At least it
proves I'm consistent ;-)

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/Mercury...006-02-25.html

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk

Cloud Cloud Cloud here. Mercury is surprisingly high. Nice sequence.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/uncg...4.05&ew=Wes t

Old February 26th 06, 12:16 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 00:05:02 GMT, Phil Wheeler
wrote:

Pete Lawrence wrote:

Pete,

With images like that to look at on line, this "Aging Amateur
Astronomer" can be a virtual astronnomer .. letting the zealots like
you run out to capture neat stuff like you always do

That would be sad Phil - especially as my intention is to try and
encourage rather than discourage. Still it was cold out there and I
would have been happier to have stayed indoors for this one if I'm
brutally honest :-o

The real thing is that, since I seem never to see a sunset (coastal
clouds) no way I can see Murcury either.

Same problem this morning when I popped out before sunrise to see Venus
and the comet: No dice.

Lately it's been clear days, but cloudy nights. And we have rain in the
forcast for 4 of the next 5 days.

In the south east of the UK we're currently being prepared for water
shortages in the months ahead. Reservoirs are very low and there
hasn't really been the winter rainfall to replenish them. Plenty of
cloud though
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old February 26th 06, 12:17 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 00:06:57 GMT, "Mike Thomas"
wrote:

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
.. .
I popped down to the beach to capture a quick picture of Mercury. It
was perishing tonight. Took one shot and decided to try and be clever
and take a sequence. Unfortunately to be clever you need to prepare
and I hadn't! I'd left my remote timer at home as well as my watch.
The only timer I had was in my head so between each photo, I stood on
the freezing sea wall like a lemon counting from 1 to 60! At least it
proves I'm consistent ;-)

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/Mercury...006-02-25.html

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk

Cloud Cloud Cloud here. Mercury is surprisingly high. Nice sequence.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/uncg...4.05&ew=Wes t

It makes a tremendous difference having a sea horizon Mike. Things
which look quite low from my garden seem to get an altitude boost when
I drive down to the beach.
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old February 26th 06, 12:43 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

Pete Lawrence wrote:

In the south east of the UK we're currently being prepared for water
shortages in the months ahead. Reservoirs are very low and there
hasn't really been the winter rainfall to replenish them. Plenty of
cloud though

Amazing: Not the way I remember that area at all. Rain seemed perpetual.

Here rain is more surprising, since Los Angeles is essentially a
terraformed desert fed with water from hundreds of miles away (Sierras
and Colorado River). But we did have much more rain last year than
this. The coming storm is supposed to be a big one -- 4 to 10 inches,
the larger amount in the northern foothills.

I'm located about one mile from the Pacific Ocean, so marine effects
often dominate my weather and seeing conditions, even if it is clear
5-10 miles inland. A few days ago I set up to do some imaging at dusk
and managed only 10 shots (in about as many minutes) after dark before
the clouds did me in.

Phil

Old February 26th 06, 07:04 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
I popped down to the beach to capture a quick picture of Mercury. It
was perishing tonight. Took one shot and decided to try and be clever
and take a sequence. Unfortunately to be clever you need to prepare
and I hadn't! I'd left my remote timer at home as well as my watch.
The only timer I had was in my head so between each photo, I stood on
the freezing sea wall like a lemon counting from 1 to 60! At least it
proves I'm consistent ;-)

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/Mercury...006-02-25.html

Very nice, and thanks for suffering to bring us this ! Btw, what are the
red lights at bottom left, some kind of mast and an aeroplane ?