Canon Digital Rebel Questions

Old December 28th 04, 11:21 PM
J C

Default Canon Digital Rebel Questions

Thanks for the responses.
If the price is right I think I'll pick one up.
Laura: where did you purchase yours?

John C.

Old December 29th 04, 12:15 AM
Bill Becker

And here's a better place to get one:
http://www.buytelescopes.com/product...&pid=6313&m=45

Best regards,
Bill

PS: Price should never be the sole reason for choosing where to buy. ;^)

Old December 29th 04, 01:02 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 23:21:32 -0000, J C wrote:

Thanks for the responses.
If the price is right I think I'll pick one up.
Laura: where did you purchase yours?

I can highly recommend Butterfly Photo, http://www.butterflyphoto.com . I bought
one there, and in the last few months three of my friends have. $689 after the
$100 rebate, for the kit with the 18-55mm lens (it is a nice lens- I recommend
you get it for the tiny additional cost it adds). You can knock another $100 or
$200 off that if you plan on buying any of the Canon lenses on the rebate list.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old December 29th 04, 05:48 AM
laura halliday

I bought my Digital Rebel at my favourite local professional camera
store (Leo's Cameras, Vancouver): the usual kit with the body and 18-55
lens, plus a 512 MB compact flash card. I know I could have gotten it a
bit cheaper from Anacortes or B&H, but there is something to be said
for local support and backup.

I also picked up an EOS T ring this afternoon (Vancouver Telescope
Centre) and tested it by taking pictures of the mountains through a
couple of my refractors. Sadly, Mother Nature had other ideas this
evening. :-(

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Old January 7th 05, 07:47 PM
W. Watson

laura halliday wrote:

I bought my Digital Rebel at my favourite local professional camera
store (Leo's Cameras, Vancouver): the usual kit with the body and 18-55
lens, plus a 512 MB compact flash card. I know I could have gotten it a
bit cheaper from Anacortes or B&H, but there is something to be said
for local support and backup.

....snip
I'm about to purchase one myself, and just talked to a highly respected tech guru
from SFran about the possibility of the price dropping. He suggested that I put off
any purchase at least until tomorrow. He thinks the MacWorld show currently running
in LV might have an announcement that has to do with Canon. I mentioned the CES, but
he thought MacWorld might be the more likely of the two shows to have anything to say
about it. We had to end are call abruptly, but that's the story.

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

Old January 8th 05, 04:21 PM
W. Watson

W. Watson wrote:

laura halliday wrote:

I bought my Digital Rebel at my favourite local professional camera
store (Leo's Cameras, Vancouver): the usual kit with the body and 18-55
lens, plus a 512 MB compact flash card. I know I could have gotten it a
bit cheaper from Anacortes or B&H, but there is something to be said
for local support and backup.

...snip
I'm about to purchase one myself, and just talked to a highly
respected tech guru from SFran about the possibility of the price
dropping. He suggested that I put off any purchase at least until
tomorrow. He thinks the MacWorld show currently running in LV might
have an announcement that has to do with Canon. I mentioned the CES,
but he thought MacWorld might be the more likely of the two shows to
have anything to say about it. We had to end are call abruptly, but
that's the story.

Strange. The guy said wait until tomorrow, which is today. Maybe he misspoke. I asked
if it wasn't more likely CES, and I'm pretty sure he said MacWorld in reply. He might
have been in a hurry. I was lucky to get to him and we got interrupted by another
call. When I asked him about the camera, he immediately enthused he had one and
called it a "kick-ass" camera.

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews
Old January 9th 05, 03:04 AM
W. Watson

W. Watson wrote:

laura halliday wrote:

[...]

Well, it was CES, and here's their announcement.
http://www.macobserver.com/article/2005/01/05.20.shtml.

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews
Old January 28th 05, 06:19 PM
Ed Majden

One thing that still bothers me about these digital cameras is how they
assign film speed to them. The way I understand it a ccd does not have
variable sensitivity. How can you state that the film speed is say ISO400
and you can also select ISO1600? How is this accomplished, by binning, or
some other way? With film, fast films are coarse grained and slow films are
fine grained. What is the base film speed for the 300Dm Canon D20 etc? I
see they use ISO100 for flash. Is this the base speed for a digital?