Never mind the shuttle crash, the real threat is the CAIB report

Old July 30th 03, 02:05 AM
steve podleski

Default On the importance of mandate

From: "Greg Kuperberg"
..... It is also secondary to the initial
point, which is that bombing London was a bad mandate to begin with.
It was an evil business and von Braun was really lucky that they didn't
actually help the Nazi war effort or do any more to destroy London.

How is using V2s different than using B-17s and Lancasters?

Old July 30th 03, 02:08 AM
Kupperberg Non Grata

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:03:11 GMT, Doug... wrote:

Bombing London was an evil business? It was war. Was bombing London
more evil than bombing Dresden, or Hiroshima? If von Braun is guilty of
evil acts for helping design the V-2, what's your estimation of Curtis
LeMay or Robert Oppenheimer? Or Sergei Korolev?

Why bother to ask? It's obvious he's lacking in the clue department as
it is. As with most peaceniks, he's oblivious as to the difference
between "war" and "atrocity".

Old July 30th 03, 12:09 PM
Cardman

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 01:27:04 -0700, jimmydevice
wrote:

So, You don't have a problem if the USA bombs the Arabs back
into the stone age and grabs all the oil?

That would make for a War that the USA would lose, where it is kind of
evil to even try.

One day it would be interesting if these oil producing countries
simply stopped supplying the U.S. As soon enough this oil dependant
country would soon suffer economic collapse.

The U.S has stored an entire year's worth of oil I hear, in old
abandoned coal mines, but I am starting to suspect that this is
responsible for those ground fires.

Anyway, the U.S is indeed very touchy over the oil, when its whole
society depends on it.

Germany and Japan were the invaders,

Germany did begin with those who wanted to be invaded (Austria, Czech
Rep) and form once more the old empire. Then of course they got
carried away invaded and occupied what is now Slovakia, were warned to
never do that again, then they invaded Poland and WWII started.

Japan on the other hand just did not like the U.S, sided more with
Germany and decided to drop some bombs on Pearl Harbor. What followed
then was just a part of War.

We were too lenient, they should be buried or living in a agrarian
society.

No forgive and forget then?

Remember that leaders start Wars and not the people, even if following
orders is not much of an excuse, where sure enough the victors in this
War are only too happy to try and execute those very leaders.

The Germans and the Japanese are generally nice people these days.

Cardman.
Old July 30th 03, 12:27 PM
Paul Blay

"Cardman" wrote ...
wrote:

So, You don't have a problem if the USA bombs the Arabs back
into the stone age and grabs all the oil?

That would make for a War that the USA would lose, where it is kind of
evil to even try.

Only 'kind of' ?

One day it would be interesting if these oil producing countries
simply stopped supplying the U.S. As soon enough this oil dependant
country would soon suffer economic collapse.

Though possibly not as soon as the contries selling the oil to the U.S.
collapsed.

The U.S has stored an entire year's worth of oil I hear,

Ah, that good old reliable 'I hear'.

in old
abandoned coal mines, but I am starting to suspect that this is
responsible for those ground fires.

I'm starting to suspect you haven't a clue about ground fire causes.

Anyway, the U.S is indeed very touchy over the oil, when its whole
society depends on it.

Well, that bit's true enough.

Germany and Japan were the invaders,

Japan on the other hand just did not like the U.S, sided more with
Germany and decided to drop some bombs on Pearl Harbor. What followed
then was just a part of War.

*ahem* I have a sneaky suspicion that Japan did their share of invading before
then. It still counts as 'invading' if the countries invaded aren't in Europe - you know.

We were too lenient, they should be buried or living in a agrarian
society.

No forgive and forget then?

Meh, he'd probably recomend genocide as a suitable punishment for the Eurovision
Song Contest.
Old July 30th 03, 12:50 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Cardman" wrote in message

The U.S has stored an entire year's worth of oil I hear, in old
abandoned coal mines, but I am starting to suspect that this is
responsible for those ground fires.

Salt mines. And they have nothing to do with "...those ground fires."

Anyway, the U.S is indeed very touchy over the oil, when its whole
society depends on it.

As is most of Europe and Japan. Any major industrial nation depends greatly
upon oil.

Germany and Japan were the invaders,

Germany did begin with those who wanted to be invaded (Austria, Czech
Rep) and form once more the old empire. Then of course they got
carried away invaded and occupied what is now Slovakia, were warned to
never do that again, then they invaded Poland and WWII started.

"... got carried away." Wow, talk about a euphamism.

Japan on the other hand just did not like the U.S, sided more with
Germany and decided to drop some bombs on Pearl Harbor. What followed
then was just a part of War.

Holy Simple History Batman. You do realize there's a lot more than this to
it. In fact it involves, you guessed it, OIL.

Might want to look into the Japanese invasion of Manchuria and the US oil
embargo that resulted.

Cardman.

Old July 30th 03, 06:22 PM
Cardman

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:50:05 GMT, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

"Cardman" wrote in message
.. .

The U.S has stored an entire year's worth of oil I hear, in old
abandoned coal mines, but I am starting to suspect that this is
responsible for those ground fires.

Salt mines.

Ah I knew it was somewhere, but have they really got enough salt mines
to store all that oil?

And they have nothing to do with "...those ground fires."

I am still doubtful, when coal is a little hard to get burning on its
own. Add some oil though and you will have your underground fire in no
time.

So you can just imagine the US Army packing thousands of oil drums
into a coal mine, then it is "whoops" some soldier dropped a match.

Anyway, the U.S is indeed very touchy over the oil, when its whole
society depends on it.

As is most of Europe and Japan. Any major industrial nation depends greatly
upon oil.

Yes, but no one depends on it as much as the US does. As you do not
even have sidewalks between your towns, where also everyone drives
just about everywhere including the local shop.

We in the UK have our own oil in the North Sea.

Germany and Japan were the invaders,

Germany did begin with those who wanted to be invaded (Austria, Czech
Rep) and form once more the old empire. Then of course they got
carried away invaded and occupied what is now Slovakia, were warned to
never do that again, then they invaded Poland and WWII started.

"... got carried away." Wow, talk about a euphamism.

Well you have to look at the more global situation at the time, when
the likes of the U.S.S.R did a good job with invasion and occupation,
which is not quite sorted out even these days.

Germany may have got away with it for that reason, but of course after
WWI they were still on probation. After all even occupation is better
than going to War, but the UK simply would not put up with what their
old enemy Germany was doing.

Japan on the other hand just did not like the U.S, sided more with
Germany and decided to drop some bombs on Pearl Harbor. What followed
then was just a part of War.

Holy Simple History Batman. You do realize there's a lot more than this to
it. In fact it involves, you guessed it, OIL.

Naturally. Not long now before this evil stuff runs out. :-]

Might want to look into the Japanese invasion of Manchuria and the US oil
embargo that resulted.

Ah well these days you cannot even do an invasion to reclaim a lot of
your own former land without p***ing off some superpower or other.

Ok, so it was a bad idea for Iraq to do that, but you have to wonder
how much Kuwaiti oil played a part. Then these days the U.S has
"freed" the oil in Iraq for the benefit of the people, but no sign of
those weapons of mass destruction yet.

Anyway, the good news is that the Iraqi People can now have a
McDonalds and Pepsi, under the US oil for cheese burger scheme. ;-]

Cardman.