Galaxies?

Old March 14th 04, 12:10 AM
Whisper

Default Galaxies?

Has it actually been proven there are actual stars in 'galaxies', or is it
just theory?

Old March 14th 04, 01:08 AM
vapour

are you serious or what?

Old March 14th 04, 01:20 AM
The Ancient One

"Whisper" wrote in message

Has it actually been proven there are actual stars in 'galaxies', or is it
just theory?

Go out and look at the Sun tomorrow. If it's there, then you have your
proof.

Old March 14th 04, 05:03 AM
vapour

.....Just in case you are not. We are in a galaxy. Our galaxy is the milky
way. Our sun is one of billions of stars in the galaxy, the milky way. Other
galaxies are made up of many sun type things... known as stars.

No, it's not a theory, it's a fact.

Old March 14th 04, 05:30 AM
Mike Ruskai

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:10:48 +1100, Whisper wrote:

Has it actually been proven there are actual stars in 'galaxies', or is it
just theory?

Large telescopes can resolve individual stars in nearby galaxies. The
spectrum of light from galaxies matches that of stars.

That's sufficient evidence, in my opinion, to transfer the burden of proof
to contrary opinions.

--
- Mike

Remove 'spambegone.net' and reverse to send e-mail.

Old March 14th 04, 05:37 AM
Kilolani

"Whisper" wrote in message

Has it actually been proven there are actual stars in 'galaxies', or is it
just theory?

Yes, it has been proven, but not until fairly recently. Up until the early
20th century, many astronomers believed that everything we can see was
inside our galaxy. The "Andromeda" Galaxy was originally called the
Andromeda nebula. It wasn't until Edwin Hubble's pioneer work in discovering
Cepheid varaible stars in other galaxies that we knew for sure that other
galaxies had stars like ours. Just to add confirmation, we also see
supernovae occur in other galaxies.

Old March 14th 04, 10:33 AM
Whisper

"vapour" wrote in message
u...
....Just in case you are not. We are in a galaxy. Our galaxy is the milky
way. Our sun is one of billions of stars in the galaxy, the milky way.

Other
galaxies are made up of many sun type things... known as stars.

No, it's not a theory, it's a fact.

Great, thanks for the 'proof'.

Old March 14th 04, 10:40 AM
Whisper

"Mike Ruskai" wrote in message
.earthlink.net...
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:10:48 +1100, Whisper wrote:

Has it actually been proven there are actual stars in 'galaxies', or is

it
just theory?

Large telescopes can resolve individual stars in nearby galaxies.

Interesting. If there are billions of stars in most galaxies, how are these
telescopes able to resolve individual stars? Unless they only resolve a
handful of the super giants, & there is only a limited number of them? I
can't imagine they can resolve ordinary stars in other galaxies if there are
billions of them - doesn't make sense.....

The
spectrum of light from galaxies matches that of stars.

That's sufficient evidence, in my opinion, to transfer the burden of proof
to contrary opinions.

Ok, I wasn't sure if it had been proven 'beyond reasonable doubt'. Looking
at pictures of galaxies it certainly doesn't look like there's any stars
there - just revolving mists of gas...? And why couldn't these mists exist
in our 'galaxy' (which may be the only one = universe?)....

I just want confirmation that's it's been proven, & not just accepted theory
(ala big bang crap)....

Old March 14th 04, 01:32 PM
Benoît Morrissette

It was Edwin Hubble who first resolved individual stars in the Andromeda
galaxy in 1923.
http://home.cwru.edu/~sjr16/20th_people_hubble.html

He could only resolve the super giants but that was enough for him to find a
few cepheids wich gave him a way to measure the distqance and to proove that
the "Andromeda nebulae" was in fact a real galaxy with real stars. Before
that, it was believed that those "spiral nebulaes" were clouds of gas in our
own galaxy.

An other proof is given by sir Isaac Newton: using spectroscopy analysis, we
can measure the rotation speed of galaxies about themselves and around other
galaxies. Gas alone do not have enough mass to account for the
gravitationnal force that do that. Only billions of stars can do that.

While i think about that: we can see those galaxies, right? Where do you
think the "light" comes from? Clouds of gas do not emit light, stars do...

Now, do you need a proof that air is composed of individual molecules?

Old March 14th 04, 03:27 PM
Peter Perlsø

On 2004-03-14 11:40:21 +0100, "Whisper" said:

I just want confirmation that's it's been proven, & not just accepted theory
(ala big bang crap)....

That isn't crap. It's the current bet for the creation of everything.
Unless youre a pseudo-scientific creationist, of course.

--

http://haxor.dk +45 2685 5909

We communists have to string along with the capitalists for a while. We
need their credits, their agriculture, and their technology. But we are
going to continue massive military programs and by the middle 1980s we
will be in a position to return to a much more aggressive foreign
policy designed to gain the upper hand in our relationship with the
West.

- Leonid Brezhnev. Remarks in 1971 to the Politburo at the beginning of
détente.