The myserious star has been located

Old January 17th 06, 08:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default The myserious star has been located

You may recall I was trying to find a star located at 11h 10m 52s
37deg 43' 46"

Well, I found it on an image.

Using Cartes du Ciel I went to that location and zoomed in so I could
see from about 11h 11m 30s to 11h 10m 0s
and +37deg 36 to +37deg 51

This is in the area of HIP 54666

I then get the image from HEASARC Skyview Digitized Sky Survey.
Coord: 167.7210 , 37.7191
Field 0.372
Pixel X 300
Pixel Y 229

So, is this for real? I can't really tell anything about this particular
star.

But it is there, or appears to be there, on the image.

Regards
Nigel
--
www.myoldcontacts.com - Tell your friends to tell their friends
www.sysadmininc.com - Consultancy, Service, Sales, Networking...

"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" --Adam Savage.
Old January 17th 06, 11:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Nigel Reed wrote:

So, is this for real? I can't really tell anything about this particular
star.

But it is there, or appears to be there, on the image.

Nigel,

If you didn't see a For Sale sign on that star it is either the wrong
one or perhaps the image was taken after it had been sold ?

Bill

--

William R. Mattil : http://www.celestial-images.com
Old January 18th 06, 06:00 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

William R. Mattil wrote:
If you didn't see a For Sale sign on that star it is either the wrong
one or perhaps the image was taken after it had been sold ?

Thanks, Bill, for a useless post *sigh*. I'm just trying to find this
girls "star" for her. Is that a crime?

Regards
Nigel

Old January 18th 06, 04:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Nigil, I have to say that, while I laud your efforts to let this girl see the
star someone "bought" for her, I think the people who run this star selling
stuff should be hung upside-down by their toes for hours for inflicting this
sort of stuff on amateur astronomers. I once had to locate a star for a couple
who "bought" one, since it was 9th mag and I had an imager out for a public star
party, and therefore I was the only one who had a chance under light polluted
skies to show it. I couldn't find it because it was located in one of those
areas of the sky where no bright enough stars existed for me to use my finder to
locate it, my usual technique since I can't look through the main scope, and in
this case how would I know which one of the dozens of 9th mag stars it was.
Rather than fake it (in retrospect I should have, since how would they know?) I
decided to stay honest and tell them I couldn't find it. So yes, this issue
does have some personal interest for me.

I can just image some telescope operator at some planetarium or observatory
being asked to show someone "their star." Considering the time and effort it
will take, even with GOTOs, and a line of people, I know what their response is
going to be.

Yes, I know those companies (are there more than one?) are supposed to put up
disclaimers, but as Joe General Public rarely reads or listens to those, even
when they are prominently displayed, I can't blame him for now, so I'll blame
the companies doing this, especially since they've gone to selling stars of 9th,
10th, and fainter magnitudes.

--- Dave
Pinprick holes in a colorless sky
Let inspired figures of light pass by
The Mighty Light of ten thousand suns
Challenges infinity, and is soon gone

Old January 18th 06, 05:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

David Nakamoto wrote:

Nigil, I have to say that, while I laud your efforts to let this girl see the
star someone "bought" for her, I think the people who run this star selling
stuff should be hung upside-down by their toes for hours for inflicting this
sort of stuff on amateur astronomers. I once had to locate a star for a couple

I certainly agree with your point. I think my question was, since the
star is obviously on an image (unless it's a blot on the lens) then I
wonder why it doesn't show up. Maybe I need a more detailed catalogue?

I've indicated the star at the following URL.
http://cartman.wehostmuds.com/~nigel/star.jpg

The larger star on the 37deg 42' line is HIP45666

Yes, I know those companies (are there more than one?) are supposed to put up
disclaimers, but as Joe General Public rarely reads or listens to those, even
when they are prominently displayed, I can't blame him for now, so I'll blame
the companies doing this, especially since they've gone to selling stars of 9th,
10th, and fainter magnitudes.

So, what sort of scope would I need to see a 9th or 10th magnitude star
under urban and clear skies?

Regards
Nigel

Old January 18th 06, 05:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Nigel Reed wrote:
I certainly agree with your point. I think my question was, since the
star is obviously on an image (unless it's a blot on the lens) then I
wonder why it doesn't show up. Maybe I need a more detailed catalogue?

I've indicated the star at the following URL.
http://cartman.wehostmuds.com/~nigel/star.jpg

The larger star on the 37deg 42' line is HIP45666

That star would probably have a GSC ID only. It looks to be about the
12th magnitude. I'll see if I can look it up.

So, what sort of scope would I need to see a 9th or 10th magnitude star
under urban and clear skies?

A 60 mm would do it pretty easily, I should think, but you'd need to know
exactly where to look. But as I said, I think the star in question is
dimmer than that.

--
Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.html
Old January 18th 06, 05:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

You are looking for a star at RA = 11:10:32, Dec = +37:43:46.
Since you didn't mention the epoch or equinox, I'll assume
that both are 2000.0.

I used the Aladin tool

http://aladin.u-strasbg.fr/aladin.gml

to examine the Palomar Sky Survey plates for this position.
There is a very faint star within a few arcseconds of this
position. It appears in the USNO B1.0 catalog as
entry 1277-0239614, at (J2000) RA = 11 10 52.02 and
Dec = +37 43 51.4. The star has an apparent B-band
magnitude of about B=18, and an apparent R-band
magnitude of about R=16.6.

I don't think you are going to succeed in showing this
star to the girl in question.

Michael Richmond

Old January 18th 06, 06:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Brian Tung wrote:
That star would probably have a GSC ID only. It looks to be about the
12th magnitude. I'll see if I can look it up.

Thanks, appreciate that.

A 60 mm would do it pretty easily, I should think, but you'd need to know
exactly where to look. But as I said, I think the star in question is
dimmer than that.

Oh really. That's neat then. I have an Orion Skyview Pro 8, 203mm
diameter, fl=1000mm f/4.9

Regards
Nigel

Old January 18th 06, 06:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Stupendous_Man wrote:

You are looking for a star at RA = 11:10:32, Dec = +37:43:46.

11h 10m 52s not 32.

I used the Aladin tool

http://aladin.u-strasbg.fr/aladin.gml

to examine the Palomar Sky Survey plates for this position.
There is a very faint star within a few arcseconds of this
position. It appears in the USNO B1.0 catalog as
entry 1277-0239614, at (J2000) RA = 11 10 52.02 and
Dec = +37 43 51.4. The star has an apparent B-band
magnitude of about B=18, and an apparent R-band
magnitude of about R=16.6.

I'll take a look, the Dec is still wrong for that one but the RA would
be correct.

I don't think you are going to succeed in showing this
star to the girl in question.

Me neither, since she's in a different state, my original question was
actually, would anyone be able to image it...or at least that part of
the sky.

Regards
Nigel

Old January 18th 06, 06:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Nigel Reed wrote:
Oh really. That's neat then. I have an Orion Skyview Pro 8, 203mm
diameter, fl=1000mm f/4.9

Probably good enough to get down to 12th magnitude in truly urban skies,
and 14th magnitude (a large jump) in dark skies. In the hands of the
right observer, it could probably go a little deeper than that, but it
would not be an easy sighting.

I see that someone else has identified it as an 18th-magnitude star. It
doesn't seem that dim to me on the screen, but if that is correct, you
will not be able to see it visually.