Apollo One: Where Was the Power Switch Located?

Old June 30th 04, 02:01 PM

Default Apollo One: Where Was the Power Switch Located?

No. Roger Chaffee switched over to internal power DURING the fire.
(See the timeline.) At 12.4 and 13.6 he switched the entry bats over
to the main bats. According to NASA, this was done to keep the
floodlights on; that explanation is absurd. Roger did it to keep power
to the suit compressor so they could BREATHE in the event GSE power was
lost.
LaDonna

Old June 30th 04, 03:08 PM
John Maxson

wrote in message
No. Roger Chaffee switched over to internal power DURING the fire.
(See the timeline.) At 12.4 and 13.6 he switched the entry bats over
to the main bats. According to NASA, this was done to keep the
floodlights on; that explanation is absurd. Roger did it to keep power
to the suit compressor so they could BREATHE in the event GSE power was
lost.
LaDonna

Hmmm. Thanks, I remember reading that now. I didn't make the necessary
connection at the time, possibly because of the "Entry Batt" terminology.

I don't think I'm buying into NASA's speculation for Roger's motive yet,
because I know why *I* might have instinctively switched power sources in
that emergency situation (after considering crew comments related to
anomalous events and earlier test results of that day).

John Maxson

Old June 30th 04, 04:45 PM
Scott Hedrick

wrote in message
According to NASA, this was done to keep the
floodlights on; that explanation is absurd. Roger did it to keep power
to the suit compressor so they could BREATHE in the event GSE power was
lost.

Then let's see Roger Chaffee's report on the matter, where he says this.
Otherwise, this is *supposition* on your part.

Old June 30th 04, 09:41 PM
Bruce Palmer

Scott Hedrick wrote:
wrote in message

According to NASA, this was done to keep the
floodlights on; that explanation is absurd. Roger did it to keep power
to the suit compressor so they could BREATHE in the event GSE power was
lost.

Then let's see Roger Chaffee's report on the matter, where he says this.
Otherwise, this is *supposition* on your part.

Funny how she knocks others who "ass u me" things but her entire effort
consists of nothing more than one assumption after another.

--
bp
Proud Member of the Human O-Ring Society Since 2003
Old July 1st 04, 01:00 AM
LaDonna Wyss

wrote in message
No. Roger Chaffee switched over to internal power DURING the fire.
(See the timeline.) At 12.4 and 13.6 he switched the entry bats over
to the main bats. According to NASA, this was done to keep the
floodlights on; that explanation is absurd. Roger did it to keep power
to the suit compressor so they could BREATHE in the event GSE power was
lost.
LaDonna

Hmmm. Thanks, I remember reading that now. I didn't make the necessary
connection at the time, possibly because of the "Entry Batt" terminology.

I don't think I'm buying into NASA's speculation for Roger's motive yet,
because I know why *I* might have instinctively switched power sources in
that emergency situation (after considering crew comments related to
anomalous events and earlier test results of that day).

John Maxson

Well, don't leave us in suspense: Why would YOU have switched power sources? :-)
LaDonna
Old July 1st 04, 02:16 AM
John Maxson

om...

wrote in message
[...]

When you found out the telemetry was classified, did it bother you that NASA
nevertheless cited both GSE and PCM telemetry as evidence that Roger
switched to battery power on Main B, some 12-13 seconds into the fire? Were
there flames over his head by then?

John Maxson

Old July 1st 04, 01:24 PM
LaDonna Wyss

wrote in message
[...]

The flames weren't over his head by then, Mr. Maxson. At 12.4 is when
the surge tank pressure dropped dramatically, indicating the fire was
now consuming the cabin oxygen. It was originally contained in the
lower equipment bay for eight seconds, so there was time for the crew
to do what they needed to do. As for the telemetry, fortunately I
also have the Post-Fire Switch Configuration List, and it does confirm
the batteries were switched over.
LaDonna