Eclipse wiped out in Toronto

Old December 21st 10, 04:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rich[_4_]

Default Eclipse wiped out in Toronto

Immobile, low-hanging clouds killed even a glimpse. But, after seeing a
Christmas day solar eclipse under flawless conditions years ago pretty much
used up Toronto's quota of tolerable eclipse weather...However, there are a
few hours left, something might change.
Old December 21st 10, 04:41 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

Rich wrote:
Immobile, low-hanging clouds killed even a glimpse. But, after seeing a
Christmas day solar eclipse under flawless conditions years ago pretty much
used up Toronto's quota of tolerable eclipse weather...However, there are a
few hours left, something might change.

Slowly disappearing into ground fog here(Netherlands).

O well, back to the webcam page.
Check NASA, or the url below.
http://www.astronomerswithoutborders...ts/13/521.html

Old December 21st 10, 06:56 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

Sjouke Burry wrote:
Rich wrote:
Immobile, low-hanging clouds killed even a glimpse. But, after seeing a
Christmas day solar eclipse under flawless conditions years ago pretty much
used up Toronto's quota of tolerable eclipse weather...However, there are a
few hours left, something might change.

Slowly disappearing into ground fog here(Netherlands).

O well, back to the webcam page.
Check NASA, or the url below.
http://www.astronomerswithoutborders...ts/13/521.html

Found a working link:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/coaste...weather-center

Old December 21st 10, 01:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rich[_1_]

On Dec 20, 11:41*pm, Sjouke Burry
wrote:
Rich wrote:
Immobile, low-hanging clouds killed even a glimpse. *But, after seeing a
Christmas day solar eclipse under flawless conditions years ago pretty much
used up Toronto's quota of tolerable eclipse weather...However, there are a
few hours left, something might change.

Slowly disappearing into ground fog here(Netherlands).

O well, back to the webcam page.
Check NASA, or the url below.

http://www.astronomerswithoutborders...ts/13/521.html

Spoke too soon! The skies cleared in Toronto! Stayed clear for most
of the eclipse and it was a good one, the Moon showing very distinct
orange hue with a bright totality.
Old December 21st 10, 03:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
cosmo[_2_]

To: Rich
From Newsgroup: sci.astro.amateur

On Dec 20, 11:41=A0pm, Sjouke Burry
wrote:
Immobile, low-hanging clouds killed even a glimpse. =A0But, after

=

much
used up Toronto's quota of tolerable eclipse weather...However, there
a=

re a
few hours left, something might change.

Slowly disappearing into ground fog here(Netherlands).

O well, back to the webcam page.
Check NASA, or the url below.

http://www.astronomerswithoutborders...ts/13/521.html

Spoke too soon! The skies cleared in Toronto! Stayed clear for most
of the eclipse and it was a good one, the Moon showing very distinct orange
hue with a bright totality.
--- Synchronet 3.14a-Win32 NewsLink 1.85

Same here in Northern Ohio. I went to bed, but found out the next day that the
more hardy observers got some good shots of the eclipse during a last-minute
clearing.
--- Synchronet 3.14a-Win32 NewsLink 1.85
:: OFN Message Gateway :: - http://ohiofreenet.org - Mega newsgroup server
Old January 3rd 11, 11:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brian Tung[_5_]

On Dec 20 2010, 8:29*pm, Rich wrote:
Immobile, low-hanging clouds killed even a glimpse. *But, after seeing a
Christmas day solar eclipse under flawless conditions years ago pretty much
used up Toronto's quota of tolerable eclipse weather...However, there are a
few hours left, something might change.

I live in the Los Angeles area, but drove up to the San
Francisco Bay Area the night of the eclipse (not for
that purpose, but to visit family). Southern California
was almost completely clouded out, but the weather began
to clear up as we made our way up north, and by the time
we arrived at about 10:30 (near the start of totality),
it was only partly cloudy. I was able to make out the
very first nibble of the umbra at the (selenographic)
western edge of the Moon. But I had to haul our luggage
in.

'Round about 12:20, it occurred to me that we should be
near mid-totality, and went outside with my Canon 10x30
IS binoculars. I was able to get a brief glimpse of the
Moon: Danjon about 3 (I had rated it 2 initially, but it
turned out I had misremembered the scale), and the umbra
seemed noticeably darker in the middle than at the
edges, and slightly off center of the Moon. I had about
ten seconds before the clouds wiped it out, and the sky,
of course, was rather dark now. Still, ten seconds is
better than nothing.

--
Brian Tung (posting from Google Groups)
The Astronomy Corner at http://www.astronomycorner.net/
Old January 3rd 11, 11:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brian Tung[_5_]

On Jan 3, 3:32*pm, I (Brian Tung) wrote:
I live in the Los Angeles area, but drove up to the San
Francisco Bay Area the night of the eclipse (not for
that purpose, but to visit family). *Southern California
was almost completely clouded out, but the weather began
to clear up as we made our way up north, and by the time
we arrived at about 10:30 (near the start of totality),
it was only partly cloudy. *I was able to make out the
very first nibble of the umbra at the (selenographic)
western edge of the Moon. *But I had to haul our luggage
in.

Hunh, that must have been the penumbra, I suppose.

Old January 4th 11, 12:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester[_2_]

"Brian Tung" wrote

Hey, look who's come out from the umbras!

:-)