The Edge of the Universe?

Old October 14th 07, 05:06 PM posted to alt.astronomy
User

Default The Edge of the Universe?

I was surfing around recently, and came across links to the farthest
known galaxy yet detected, apparently via gravitational lensing around
the cluster Abell 2218. They put the distance to this farthest galaxy
as some 13 billion light years away.

It truly boggles the mind.

What is the general consensus about what lies beyond this galaxy? If
you were located in that galaxy 13 billion years ago (when it looked
like how we see it now), what would you see if you looked in a
direction away from earth (i.e. yet even farther than 13 billion light
years from earth)? A total void? What might you see if you were
located in that galaxy now?

Imagine a magical spacecraft that is able to transport you 100 billion
light years away in an instant. If you looked around, would you see
only total blackness (i.e. it'll be another 86.3 billion years before
the light from the 13.7 billion year old galaxy reaches you)?

Thanks for any conjecture.

Old October 14th 07, 06:02 PM posted to alt.astronomy

"User" wrote in message .. .
I was surfing around recently, and came across links to the farthest
known galaxy yet detected, apparently via gravitational lensing around
the cluster Abell 2218. They put the distance to this farthest galaxy
as some 13 billion light years away.

It truly boggles the mind.

What is the general consensus about what lies beyond this galaxy? If
you were located in that galaxy 13 billion years ago (when it looked
like how we see it now), what would you see if you looked in a
direction away from earth (i.e. yet even farther than 13 billion light
years from earth)? A total void? What might you see if you were
located in that galaxy now?

You're stuck in 3-dimensional thinking. The light we see from
that galaxy 13 billion light years away is 13 billion years old.
If were located in that galaxy you'd look out and see pretty
much the same thing we see: 13-14 billion light years of
progressively older galaxies in all directions. You wouldn't
even see our galaxy, since it's only ~4.5 billion years old.

The universe has no edge or center.

Old October 14th 07, 07:18 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Anthony Buckland[_2_]

wrote in message
. net...
"User" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

A more relevant question would be, what would we see from
_here_ if we look beyond the distance of 13 billion light years?
The answer being that in another 700 million light years or so
we will reach a distance corresponding to the origin of the
universe. Before that we will be looking at the very first
galaxies, and then at the moment when the universe achieved
a density low enough that light and other radiation could start
doing the radiating thing. Then, a more constructive thing than
looking in the narrow band of visible (to us) light becomes
looking in the high end of the radio spectrum. Which was
first done decades ago when the background radiation began
to be studied.

And if somebody asks, what if we look beyond 13.7 billion
light years?, then the answer is that there _is_ no beyond,
in space and in time. But this isn't an edge, it's a point, the
zero point. And every second it becomes one light second
further away.

Old October 14th 07, 11:18 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Greg Neill[_5_]

"User" wrote in message
.. .
I was surfing around recently, and came across links to the farthest
known galaxy yet detected, apparently via gravitational lensing around
the cluster Abell 2218. They put the distance to this farthest galaxy
as some 13 billion light years away.

It truly boggles the mind.

What is the general consensus about what lies beyond this galaxy? If
you were located in that galaxy 13 billion years ago (when it looked
like how we see it now), what would you see if you looked in a
direction away from earth (i.e. yet even farther than 13 billion light
years from earth)? A total void? What might you see if you were
located in that galaxy now?

If you were there, 13 billion years ago, you'd see a
younger universe all around you in every direction with
a radius to the surface of last scattering (where light
decoupled from matter after the Big Bang) of about 700
million light years.

Imagine a magical spacecraft that is able to transport you 100 billion
light years away in an instant. If you looked around, would you see
only total blackness (i.e. it'll be another 86.3 billion years before
the light from the 13.7 billion year old galaxy reaches you)?

You'd see a universe that looked like ours does to us
now, if you were transported "in an instant" and so the
age of that portion of the universe was the same as here.

Old October 15th 07, 02:47 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest

"User" wrote...
What is the general consensus about what lies beyond this galaxy?

Beyond this galaxy...more galaxies

But beyond this universe...the outer limits.

The universe's pedestal.

Old October 15th 07, 03:37 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Llanzlan Klazmon the 15th

wrote in
. net:

"User" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I presume you meant the solar system ~4.5 billion years old. The milky way
galaxy is much older, probably as ancient as any galaxy judging by the
estimated age of many pop II stars.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...ge_040817.html

The universe has no edge or center.

Old October 15th 07, 09:01 AM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

To Ya All There can be no edge to a universe with the space expanding
at an accelerating. It not like a balloon blowing up Best to keep in
mind the "density" of a universe determines its geometry. However if
the universe is shaped like the surface of a sphere it would be
"closed" (its open) The universe is saddle shape,and that means it
has a negative curve or "open" Thus the volume of the universe is
unbounded. My convexing of deeper and deeper space theory predicts
this. Saddle shape is the only shape that fits Bert

Old October 15th 07, 11:06 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Mdmeenken

"Llanzlan Klazmon the 15th" schreef in bericht
7.6...
wrote in
. net:

"User" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

yes it has,

we are in the center,
but then ,offcourse,
the other beings, in other galaxies (if there are any),
(what I dont think they are )are also in the centre,
everyone has his own centre!
actually,
the BB started here under my finger working on my keybord,(not to much
offcourse,I am rather lazy!!)
I was there,(well my molecules/atoms?quarks whatever you want) were ,and
still am,not in the same form offcourse,but still!,

after that,because of expansion,(you know , your fridge works like that),
it got a bit colder,
whats left over we call ,backgound radiation
its actually very cold,about 3 k,
and believe me thats really cold,
ice skating is well and truly possible,,

well then ,
what about the edge,

as i read here allready ,i think we have to think in more dimensions,
hawkings told us allready about that,
more or less in the same way ,as ,
as we ask, what is more north than the northpole,
see,then we have to go in an 1 more dimension,

and may be, probably there are more ,than 1 more ,

see you,

marten

Old October 15th 07, 03:48 PM posted to alt.astronomy
John \C\

"Bob Officer" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 20:47:41 -0500, in alt.astronomy, "Mark Earnest"
wrote:

"User" wrote...
What is the general consensus about what lies beyond this galaxy?

Beyond this galaxy...more galaxies

But beyond this universe...the outer limits.

The universe's pedestal.

"It's turtles all the way down" Wally.

You are Wally, loony Tune.

HJ

Old October 15th 07, 06:18 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
To Ya All There can be no edge to a universe with the space expanding
at an accelerating. It not like a balloon blowing up Best to keep in
mind the "density" of a universe determines its geometry. However if
the universe is shaped like the surface of a sphere it would be
"closed" (its open)

The universe is closed, for now.
That is why when we look at outer space, all we see is darkness:
that which is enclosing us.