LRO; Apollo impacts and their debris soon to be identified

Old July 10th 09, 08:06 PM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.sci.planetary,sci.astro,rec.org.mensa,sci.space.history
BradGuth

Default LRO; Apollo impacts and their debris soon to be identified

On Jun 18, 4:28*pm, BradGuth wrote:
LRO is up and away. *Finally, absolutely no excuse whatsoever for not
detecting each and every significant Apollo item that’s bright and
shiny while situated upon such a naked surface that’s crystal dry,
electrostatic charged, generally reactive and nearly dark as coal.
The undisclosed dynamic range of their primary imager should knock our
socks off, whereas even earthshine illumination should be entirely
sufficient, as well as whatever desired color/hue saturation at less
resolution shouldn’t be a problem unless they intentionally assign
false colors.

At the altitude of 50 km (30–70 km polar orbit) it should offer 0.5
meter resolution. *Better resolution may have to remain restricted, as
well as other science data may have to be need-to-know (same as the
JAXA and ISRO missions).

What’s new http://wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc_browse, and otherwise of
what’s old is better late than never; at least images robotically
obtained from the Apollo era of numerous lunar orbits are finally
getting their badly needed digital scans, to be compared with the LRO
images of the exact same terrain in order to see what if anything has
changed in 40 years.

Apollo: “Color images will use 48-bit pixels to capture the full
dynamic range of the film. Robinson says that combining high
resolution and wide brightness range produces very large raw image
files.”
http://researchstories.asu.edu/2007/...digitally.html

“The project will take about three years to complete. Technicians will
scan some 36,000 images. These include about 600 frames in 35 mm.
There are also almost 20,000 Hasselblad 60 mm frames (color, and black
and white), more than 10,000 mapping camera frames, and about 4,600
panoramic camera frames.”

“To extract all the details from the film, Robinson decided to scan
the black and white images at a resolution of 200 pixels per
millimeter. That is far beyond what most scanning involves. Color
images are at 100 or 120 pixels per millimeter.”

"We're going well past the film grain," White says.
“The scanner was built by Leica Geosystems. Its software was specially
modified for the project to increase the brightness range from the
normal 12-bit tone depth to 14 bits. This means black and white images
record more than 16,000 shades of gray. Color images will use 48-bit
pixels to capture the full dynamic range of the film.”

We certainly needed this effort as of nearly 4 decades ago, or even as
of one decade ago.

The DR of their LROC KLI-5001G image detector is worth 66 db (film and
the typical lens offers roughly 10 db to work with, possibly 11 db on
their large format terrain mapping, making the dynamic range of this
LROC 55 db better than film)

Imager ADC9225 is an eight-channel by 12 bit/digit ADC (96 bit)
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lea...pm/Vondrak.pdf
http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...uctSummary.pdf

LROC / terrific images that apparently our local NASA and those
wizards of Google Usenet/newsgroups doesn’t want to share with us.
http://wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc_browse

As they get our spendy LRO fully established in its 50 km circular
orbit, all things of terrific observationology should sharpen up
considerably, as well as offering color/hue composites of crisp
digital images and loads of secondary fluorescence data that’ll begin
telling us what kinds and to some extent of how much of a given
element is exposed. After all, our Selene/moon is only physically
dark but otherwise not a passive monochromatic geology environment,
nor is it nonreactive to the UV spectrum.

The LRO radar imaging should be half as good of resolution but
otherwise far better pixel truth worthy because of the number of radar
confirming looks per pixel.

In these initial monochrome images we simply need to know how much of
the overall spectrum and/or which of the 7 narrow bandpass spectrums
are being utilized or intentionally excluded. In other words, LROC
and of its other cameras are actually performing as a visual
spectrometer, and even though the full color spectrum of 400 to 750 nm
(12 bit DR/channel) is getting recorded within 7 specific channels
worth, however, thus far we only get to see their results in
monochrome. There’s also a UV camera that’ll further extend their
color and secondary fluorescence spectrum, although of less resolution
and false color to us because the human eye simply doesn’t record
direct UV, nor do most of us correctly process those secondary/recoil
photons for what it truly represents.

~ Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth BG / “Guth Usenet”
Old July 11th 09, 12:49 AM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.sci.planetary,sci.astro,rec.org.mensa,sci.space.history
BradGuth

[...]

what’s old is a whole lot better late than never; at least images
robotically obtained from the Apollo era of numerous lunar orbits are
finally getting their badly needed digital scans, to be compared with
the LRO images of the exact same terrain in order to see what if
anything has changed in 40 years.

Old Apollo stuff: “Color images will use 48-bit pixels to capture the
[...]

The newest stuff of the dynamic range(DR) of their LROC KLI-5001G
image detector is worth 66 db (film and the typical lens offers
roughly 10 db to work with, possibly 11 db on their large format
terrain mapping, making the dynamic range of this LROC 55 db better
than film), and a good digital scan of that old film might pull out as
much as another db, making that film worth 12 db and not likely the 14
db as suggested.

[...]

and of its other cameras are actually performing as a mostly visual
spectrometer, and even though the full color spectrum of 400 to 750 nm
(12 bit DR/channel) is getting recorded within 7 specific channels
worth, however, thus far we only get to see their results in
monochrome. There’s also a UV camera that’ll further extend their
color and secondary fluorescence spectrum, although of less resolution
and false color to us because the human eye simply doesn’t record
direct UV, nor do most of us correctly process those secondary/recoil
photons for whatever it truly represents.

~ Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth BG / “Guth Usenet”