'Cyclic universe' can explain cosmological constant

Old May 8th 06, 02:15 AM posted to alt.astronomy

Default 'Cyclic universe' can explain cosmological constant

Charles D. Bohne wrote:

'Cyclic universe' can explain cosmological constant
19:00 04 May 2006
NewScientist.com news service
Zeeya Merali
http://www.newscientistspace.com/art...-constant.html

A cyclic universe, which bounces through a series of big bangs and "big
crunches", could solve the puzzle of our cosmological constant,
physicists suggest.

The cosmological constant represents the energy of empty space, and is
thought to be the most likely explanation for the observed speeding up
of the expansion of the universe. But its measured value is a googol (1
followed by 100 zeroes) times smaller than that predicted by particle
physics theories. It is a discrepancy that gives cosmologists a real
headache.

In the 1980s, physicists considered the possibility that an initially
large cosmological constant could decay down to the value measured
today. But this theory was abandoned when calculations showed that it
would take far longer than 14 billion years – the time since the big
bang – for the constant to reach the level seen today.

Now physicists Paul Steinhardt at Princeton University, in New Jersey,
US, and Neil Turok at Cambridge University in the UK, are resurrecting
the idea. They point out that if time stretches back beyond the big
bang, the problem could be solved. At that is just what is predicted by
their cyclic model of the universe – an alternative to the Standard Big
Bang theory – which the pair first developed in 2002 (see "Cycles of
creation").
Endless cycle

"Ever since the 1960s, people assumed that the big bang was the
beginning of time, because the laws of physics seem to break down
there," says Turok. But the equations of string theory tell a different
story, allowing time to exist before the big bang, he says.

According to Steinhardt and Turok, today's universe is part of an
endless cycle of big bangs and big crunches, with each cycle lasting
about a trillion years. At every big bang, the amount of matter and
radiation in the universe is reset, but the cosmological constant is
not. Instead, the cosmological constant gradually diminishes over many
cycles to the small value observed today.

The physicists' calculations show that the cosmological constant
decreases in steps, through a series of quantum transitions. Crucially,
the higher the value of the constant, the more rapid the transitions,
says Turok. But as the constant reaches lower levels, it changes more
slowly, lingering on the lowest positive value for an extremely long
time. That means that today's universe is most likely to have a small
cosmological constant, just as we currently observe, says Turok.

"This is an ingenious solution," says cosmologist Alexander Vilenkin at
Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts, US. But he points out that
there are other cosmic coincidences that the cyclic model cannot
explain, like why the size of the cosmological constant is so similar to
the density of matter in the universe today.

Turok says that he and Steinhardt will be looking at that problem next.
"This is an initial attempt to go beyond Einstein's theory of gravity,"
says Turok. "It would be surprising if we solved everything first time."

Journal reference: Science (DOI: 10.1126/science.1126231)

nightbat

Thank you number one for your excellent report and yes they go
on and on trying to patch what they don't understand Rube Goldberg
style. Have you received any separate contact from the apparent fakeian
Seans yet? What a sad condition since bones left with promise of March
or April more contact.

Nothing coming comm. through and no positive word from Officer Greysky
either oh heaven help us for I sense trouble in Sean space paradise.

carry on,
the nightbat
Old May 8th 06, 09:01 PM posted to alt.astronomy

Could you clear up what exactly is causing trouble for sean, frootbat?
Such powerful beings...

Saul Levy

Old May 9th 06, 11:50 AM posted to alt.astronomy

nightbat wrote

"Charles D. Bohne" wrote:

On Tue, 09 May 2006 04:36:27 -0500, nightbat
wrote:

potential Bird Flu epidemic and possible Sean no resistance

Officer Bohne
Do you suggest, Sir, that they might have perished from BFE?
Oh the tragedy!

:-)))
C.

Just imagine that wonderful hermaphrodid meremaid Darla
wrecked by a simple bird virus! ... after millions of years?
P.S.: How did you like "The War Of The Worlds" (the movie)
http://www.war-ofthe-worlds.co.uk/

nightbat

I am beside myself in thoughts of misery Number One that we may
have lost our Sean friends due to BFE, oh the humanity! After so many
reported years in space and visits to Earth they may have all fatally
been terminated due to the Bird Flue virus. So many large mammalian fish
beaching themselves should have given us a clue. My Sil, my beautiful
Sil, please don't let it be true, I'd be so lost. What else could it be
because they were so fearless thinking nothing could hurt them, but that
Bird Flu virus once it gets you it's hopeless without the vaccine.
And the Hollywood movie book based of the same name " The War Of The
Worlds " was extremely frightening and the last book Dr. Einstein was
reading before he died. Very troubling indeed and very sad if we have
lost the peaceful Seans to a virus.

ponder on,
the nightbat
Old May 9th 06, 02:57 PM posted to alt.astronomy

nightbat I'm not worried about Darla catching the bird flu. They are
much to clever for that to happen. They would not land on any planet
before testing it for viruses,and bacterial infections first. That would
be their first specimen probe. TreBert

Old May 9th 06, 06:52 PM posted to alt.astronomy

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
nightbat I'm not worried about Darla catching the bird flu. They are
much to clever for that to happen. They would not land on any planet
before testing it for viruses,and bacterial infections first. That would
be their first specimen probe. TreBert

I think that the bacteria and virus issue will be a big impediment to
aliens visiting us or for us to visit other inhabited planets. To
expose yourself to the environment of an alien planet would be like
your taking a swim in a cesspool! Remember the epidemics such as
smallpox that decimated the Indian populations after they came into
contact with explorers from Europe? They had never come into contact
with those microbes before and therefore their bodies had no defense
against them. The Europeans carried back some bugs with them to Europe
too, such as syphilis. Montezuma's revenge!

Double-A

Old May 9th 06, 07:26 PM posted to alt.astronomy

Double-A Montezuma infection is bad drinking water. I;m sure Darla makes
her own drinking water. Living and traveling for 2 million years has
taught her about bacterial infections. Her great spacetime gives that
reality TreBert

Old May 10th 06, 10:36 AM posted to alt.astronomy

nigthbat wrote

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

nightbat I'm not worried about Darla catching the bird flu. They are
much to clever for that to happen. They would not land on any planet
before testing it for viruses,and bacterial infections first. That would
be their first specimen probe. TreBert

nightbat

They have reported to me of affirmation of previous Earth planet
visitations and remember that cruise ship fiasco? They are net advised
very fearless and know the dangers of virus contamination for they say
they have been around a long time. But the Bird Flu virus is something
else for there is no present known 100% vaccine to counter it. Officer
Bohne and myself are very concerned that they may have come in contact
with same. Oh the humanity, why, why, why didn't they listen to you and
just bury the infected birds instead of burning them?

So even if they took or monitored initial Earth planetary wide spectrum
virus scans analysis and took all precautionary actions the Bird Flu
particular type is so new and deadly they may not have been able to
guard against it. I can't stand it knowing my lovely Sil per Indy Base
One wanting to quickly reach me may have Earth atmosphere exposed
herself to it's deadly air borne spreading grip, heaven help us! Sure
and as each Sean went to her rescue they all fall victims to it just as
in the referenced movie in which Officer Bohne net cited. Even the
stayed behind Starship crews would have no known defenses as they may
have brought back infected returning rescued crew members.

sad, very sad if true,
the nightbat

Old May 10th 06, 04:18 PM posted to alt.astronomy

"nightbat" wrote in message
nigthbat wrote

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

[...]

Commander Fruitbat ... err Nightbat,

The Sean are obviously light-years ahead of us mere mortals, not only in the
realm of technology, but also in the manipulation of quantum states and time
differential accessibility in localized warped time/space continuum.

Since their spaceship must be of gigantic proportions to not only support
them with the daily requirements of nourishables, but also centuries worth
of fuel supplies, huge ion/plasma drives as well as redundant protective
force field and time shifting generators, I am sure they are well prepared
to deal with a spate of the dreaded BFE.

They could, for example, rev up their space/time warp generators, creating a
time well of, say, a six months diameter. Then they simply move the ship to
the trailing edge of the well and kill the field. This would put them back
in time prior to the BFE event and all they will have lost is the past three
month of communications with you (remember, the other three months haven't
happened as yet). The six months boundary is also just within the dreaded
Cosmic String limit, which would prevent any distortion. Sil could be
inoculated, sent back via the personal space warp transport to just outside
the BFE sphere and then instantly returned to you, as good as new.

Keep the faith, commander; they are smarter than we give them credit.

Old May 10th 06, 06:07 PM posted to alt.astronomy

nightbat Best to remember "No news can be good news" It is still
spring. Bert