Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and Black Holes - New Scientist article

Old March 10th 06, 11:25 PM posted to alt.astronomy

Default Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and Black Holes - New Scientist article

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...25423.600.html

Exclusive from New Scientist Print Edition
Zeeya Merali

DARK energy and dark matter, two of the greatest mysteries confronting
physicists, may be two sides of the same coin. A new and as yet
undiscovered kind of star could explain both phenomena and, in turn,
remove black holes from the lexicon of cosmology.

The audacious idea comes from George Chapline, a physicist at Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory in California, and Nobel laureate Robert
Laughlin of Stanford University and their colleagues. Last week at the
22nd Pacific Coast Gravity Meeting in Santa Barbara, California,
Chapline suggested that the objects that till now have been thought of
as black holes could in fact be dead stars that form as a result of an
obscure quantum phenomenon. These stars could explain both dark energy
and dark matter.

At the other end of the size scale, small versions of these stars
could explain dark matter. "The big bang would have created zillions
of tiny dark energy stars out of the vacuum," says Chapline, who
worked on this idea with Mazur. "Our universe is pervaded by dark
energy, with tiny dark energy stars peppered across it." These small
dark energy stars would behave just like dark matter particles: their
gravity would tug on the matter around them, but they would otherwise
be invisible.

Abramowicz says we know too little about dark energy and dark matter
to judge Chapline and Laughlin's idea, but he is not dismissing it out
of hand. "At the very least we can say the idea isn't impossible."

--

Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."
Old March 11th 06, 12:11 AM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.philosophy

Bad or even incomplete theories might be worse than nothing at all.
People latch onto them, use them as a crutch, get narrow minded and
lazy, and then, when the theories raise more questions than they
answer, everyone tries to patch them up instead of starting over again
and looking for something that makes sense.

A patched up theory in the high sciences means it's time to start over.

Bret Cahill

"Psychology, the queen of sciences."

-- Nietzsche

Old March 11th 06, 06:09 AM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.philosophy

On 10 Mar 2006 16:11:55 -0800, "Bret Cahill"
wrote:

Bad or even incomplete theories might be worse than nothing at all.
People latch onto them, use them as a crutch, get narrow minded and
lazy, and then, when the theories raise more questions than they
answer, everyone tries to patch them up instead of starting over again
and looking for something that makes sense.

A patched up theory in the high sciences means it's time to start over.

Which is probably why we are due for a new one on subatomic matter
sometime in the next decades. :-)

Old March 11th 06, 07:30 AM posted to alt.astronomy

nightbat wrote

"Wally Anglesea™" wrote:

[...]

..

[...]

nightbat

I originally explained this long ago via my profound model of
the nightbat " Black Comet ". Center of galaxy strong gravity zone
objects that do not emit light are not stars but cosmic metamorphosis
altered energy ones into " Black Comets ", nuff said. Yes, I'm back from
the JPL in Pasadena, did you miss me?

See:
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/sto...34.htm&sc=1501

ponder on,
the nightbat

Old March 11th 06, 07:50 AM posted to alt.astronomy

nightbat wrote:
nightbat wrote

"Wally Anglesea™" wrote:

[...]

Good to see you back, nightbat!

... It's getting very, very snowy around here.

Cordially

RL

P.S. Yeah, I missed you. ;-)

Old March 11th 06, 08:35 AM posted to alt.astronomy

nightbat wrote

Raving Loonie wrote:

nightbat wrote:
nightbat wrote

"Wally Anglesea™" wrote:

[...]

Officer RL
Good to see you back, nightbat!

... It's getting very, very snowy around here.

Cordially

RL

P.S. Yeah, I missed you. ;-)

nightbat

Why thank you Officer RL for I missed you and my whole profound
Earth Science Team Officers too. My trip to the research laboratory was
very exciting and advanced data encompassing. The success of this Mars
mission is going well. I have photos taken of the Captain standing next
to lab's small and large models of it. There is no telescope on the
reconnaissance spacecraft but an array of instruments and a very large
camera to hopefully take spectacular shots of the Mars surface. It's
just beautiful to look at up close and I was scientifically thrilled.
Got to view the operations room and Moon Mars rover test facilities. The
bulk of the Lab's research is now devoted to space robotics and what fun
it was seeing the secret work going on. I also explained to them about
our select net science teams research with the Seans and now they look
forward to our success too. The race for first official contact is every
scientist's and researcher's dream. Dr. Why claimed the main Seans space
exploratory team are now on their way back and Official First Contact
should hopefully occur around the end of this month or early April,
we'll see.

Thanks again for your warm return welcome to me Officer RL and I will do
my best to continue to deserve it.

your respectful Captain,
the nightbat

Old March 11th 06, 08:52 AM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.usenet.kooks

nightbat , the drawling freeloader and solid bun
duster who likes savage sexual traumas with grizzly bears, and whose
partner is a pavement-pretty with a moist finger warmer, wrote in
:

Raving Loonie wrote:

nightbat wrote

[...]

And they didn't lock you up in the loony bin?

--
DISCLAIMER: The content does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either
my ISP, myself, my company or employer, my friends (if any,) my goldfish or
my neighbour's mad dog; don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything;
all rights reserved; the post is distribution copyrighted to the extent that
you may distribute the post and all its associated parts freely but you may
not make a profit from it or include the post in commercial publications
without written permission from the Prime Minister of Hutt Province; other
copyright laws for specific posts apply wherever noted or not noted, either
deliberately, negligently, or otherwise; posts are subject to change without
notice; posts are slightly enlarged to show detail; any resemblance to
actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental;
hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat; do not bend, fold, mutilate, or
spindle; do not pass go; do not collect $200; your mileage may vary; no
substitutions allowed; for a limited time only; the post is void where
prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted; the post is provided "as is"
without any warranties expressed or implied; user assumes full liabilities;
not liable for damages due to use or misuse; an equal opportunity abuse
employer; no shoes, no shirt; quantities are limited while supplies last; if
defects are discovered, do not attempt to fix them yourself but return to an
authorised post service centre; caveat emptor; read at your own risk;
parental advisory - explicit words; text may contain material some readers
may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised; not suitable for
children; not suitable for adults; not for human consumption; keep away from
sunlight, pets and small children; limit one-per-family; no money down; no
purchase necessary; to approved purchasers only; facsimiles are acceptable
in South Australia; you need not be present to read this post; some assembly
required; batteries not included; action figures sold separately; no
preservatives added; tools not included; safety goggles may be required
during use; sealed for your protection, do not use if the safety seal is
broken; call before you dig; for external use only; if a rash, redness,
irritation or swelling develops, discontinue use; use only with proper
ventilation; avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool, dry place; keep
away from open flames, naked flames and old flames; avoid inhaling fumes;
avoid contact with mucous membranes; do not puncture, incinerate, or store
above 60 degrees Centigrade; do not place near flammable or magnetic source;
smoking the post may be hazardous to your health; the best safeguard, second
only to abstinence, is the use of a good laugh; text used on the post is
made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles; no animals were
used to test the hilarity of this post other than Synapse Syndrome; no salt,
MSG, artificial colour or flavour added; may contain traces of replies to
peanuts; if ingested, do not induce vomiting, if symptoms persist, consult
your humourologist; post is ribbed for your pleasure; slippery when wet;
must be 18 to read; possible penalties for early withdrawal; post offer
valid only in participating newsgroups; slightly higher in South Australia;
allow four to six weeks for delivery; damage from hurricane, lightning,
tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, flood, orgasm, misuse,
self-abuse, neglect, unauthorised repair, damage from improper installation,
broken antenna, marred cabinet, incorrect line voltage, missing or altered
serial numbers, sonic boom vibrations, electromagnetic radiation from
nuclear blasts or other Acts of God are not covered; incidents owing to
aeroplane crash, ship sinking, motor vehicle accidents, leaky roof, broken
glass, falling rocks, mud slides, forest fire, flying projectiles or
dropping the item are also excluded; other restrictions may apply. If
something offends you, lighten up, get a life, and move on. All conditions
apply. Not available in all stores. Facts have been changed to protect the
guilty.

cyanovinyl-cyclohexylphenoxy-thiodiethanol-2-1-chloro-4-phenolsulfonic-acid

Old March 11th 06, 03:17 PM posted to alt.astronomy

No, frootbat, we didn't miss you!

Saul Levy

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 02:30:06 -0500, nightbat
wrote:

nightbat wrote

Old March 11th 06, 03:20 PM posted to alt.astronomy

What secret work, frootbat?

As for first contact happening soon: NO WAY!

Saul Levy

Old March 11th 06, 04:00 PM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.fan.art-bell,alt.usenet.kooks

nightbat wrote:

nightbat wrote

"Wally Anglesea™" wrote:

[...]

Hey frootbat, I read all the way through the article Wally referenced,
and there is nothing in there about comets, much less black comets.

Have you been dropping acid again?

--
Official Associate AFA-B Vote Rustler
Official Overseer of Kooks and Saucerheads in alt.astronomy

"Causation of gravity is missing frame field always attempting
renormalization back to base memory of equalized uniform momentum."
-- nightbat the saucerhead-in-chief