An active region just over the sun's eastern horizon is cracklingwith solar flares

Old November 3rd 10, 11:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default An active region just over the sun's eastern horizon is cracklingwith solar flares

Space Weather News for Nov. 3, 2010
http://spaceweather.com

FARSIDE SOLAR FLARES: An active region just over the sun's eastern
horizon is crackling with solar flares and hurling material high above
the stellar surface. One of today's flares, a C4-class event, created a
wave of ionization in Earth's upper atmosphere despite the fact that the
blast site was not directly visible from Earth. The source of this
activity appears to be old sunspot 1112, which has spent the last ~12
days transiting the far side of the sun, and is now about to turn back
toward our planet. Visit http://spaceweather.com for movies of today's
activity and updates.

COMET HARTLEY UPDATE: NASA's Deep Impact (EPOXI) probe is closing in on
Comet Hartley 2 for a daring flyby on Nov. 4th. The small but active
comet is full of surprises, with spinning jets, geysers of cyanide gas,
and a strangely pickle-shaped core. Mission scientists expect to reveal
first images from the flyby during a press conference on Thursday
afternoon, around 4 pm EDT. Tune into NASA TV to follow events live, and
meanwhile read this story for a preview:
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news.../02nov_epoxi2/

SPACE WEATHER ALERTS: Would you like a call when solar storms erupt?
Sign up for Space Weather Phone: http://spaceweatherphone.com

Old November 4th 10, 02:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Nov 3, 4:25*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:

...An active region just over the sun's eastern
horizon is crackling with solar flares and hurling material high above
the stellar surface.... The source of this
activity... is now about to turn back
toward our planet.

Not exactly on topic, but I have an observation that I find curious.
This page;

http://www.petermeadows.com/html/parallactic.html

.... tells me that when facing the sun, with the sun's north pole 'up'
and south pole 'down', the sun's east limb is to the left and the
western limb to the right.

What I find curious is that it is just the opposite for the moon,
where east is to the right and west to the left, just like looking a a
map of a place on Earth. There may be a good reason why they are
different, but to me, this seems to be inconsistent.

Why is this?

\Paul A

Old November 4th 10, 03:47 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William Hamblen[_2_]

On 2010-11-04, palsing wrote:
[...]

Directions used to be same for the Moon and the Sun. Traditionally,
east and west on celestial bodies were the same as east and west in
the sky. The western edge was the preceding edge and the eastern edge
was the following edge as the object appeared to move in the eyepiece of
a stationary telescope. When we started to send landers and astronauts
to the Moon they changed the convention for the moon and other celstial
bodies so the Sun would rise in the east and set in the west, the same
as on the Earth.

Bud
Old November 4th 10, 04:06 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Nov 3, 8:47*pm, William Hamblen
On 2010-11-04, palsing wrote:

[...]

OK, that would explain it.

Just to make sure I fully understand, are you saying that if I were to
look at a map of Mars or any other planet or dwarf planet, or
asteroid, for that matter, with north 'up', that west would be to the
left and east to the right?

Thanks!

"I feel a very unusual sensation - if it is not indigestion, I think
it must be gratitude."
~Benjamin Disraeli

\Paul A
Old November 4th 10, 12:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William Hamblen[_2_]

On 2010-11-04, palsing wrote:

[...]

Directions in recent maps, since the 1960s, match terrestrial maps.
The relative locations of the features never changed. Only the direction
labels changed. Traditionally south was up to match the image in an
astronomical telescope in the northern hemisphere.

Bud

Solar Active Region 0618 (H-alpha image) Sam Wormley Amateur Astronomy 4 May 29th 04 11:41 PM
Solar Active Region 0618 (H-alpha image) Paul Hyndman Amateur Astronomy 2 May 28th 04 05:31 PM
Eastern horizon, 10pm Mike Misc 4 November 20th 03 12:16 AM
Active region 484 is peeking over the sun's eastern limb Sam Wormley Amateur Astronomy 1 November 15th 03 03:32 AM
Solar Active Region Produces Intense Solar Flare Ron Baalke Misc 0 October 28th 03 07:29 PM