NGC 2035 - Southern jewel

Old December 27th 14, 09:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

Default NGC 2035 - Southern jewel

NGC2035 is located in the Large Magellanic Cloud. The attached image shows a complex nebular region of clouds and dust where star formation is taking place, mixed with bubbles of gas and filaments created by supernova explosions. Scattered about are several star clusters of hot blue stars.

This image was taken at our remote observatory with a 305mm F8 Astrograph at Las Campanas in Chile. The image is taken with SII, H-a and OIII filters in the Hubble Palette.

http://www.buytelescopes.com/content...5_ngc2035.jpeg

Old December 29th 14, 03:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Saturday, 27 December 2014 13:11:08 UTC-8, Uncarollo2 wrote:
NGC2035 is located in the Large Magellanic Cloud. The attached image shows a complex nebular region of clouds and dust where star formation is taking place, mixed with bubbles of gas and filaments created by supernova explosions. Scattered about are several star clusters of hot blue stars.

This image was taken at our remote observatory with a 305mm F8 Astrograph at Las Campanas in Chile. The image is taken with SII, H-a and OIII filters in the Hubble Palette.

http://www.buytelescopes.com/content...5_ngc2035.jpeg

Very nice shot, but how come the HA areas are tinted yellow instead of red?
Old December 29th 14, 06:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

On Sunday, December 28, 2014 9:11:39 PM UTC-6, RichA wrote:
On Saturday, 27 December 2014 13:11:08 UTC-8, Uncarollo2 wrote:
NGC2035 is located in the Large Magellanic Cloud. The attached image shows a complex nebular region of clouds and dust where star formation is taking place, mixed with bubbles of gas and filaments created by supernova explosions. Scattered about are several star clusters of hot blue stars.

This image was taken at our remote observatory with a 305mm F8 Astrograph at Las Campanas in Chile. The image is taken with SII, H-a and OIII filters in the Hubble Palette.

http://www.buytelescopes.com/content...5_ngc2035.jpeg

Very nice shot, but how come the HA areas are tinted yellow instead of red?

The 3 filters are mapped according to the Hubble Palette. SII is mapped to red, H-a is mapped to green, OIII is mapped to blue. Since SII is a deeper red than H-a, it makes some sense to map it to the red channel. The yellow areas are a combination of SII (red) and H-a (green) to form yellow. Although these colors are not really natural, they do provide a pleasing palette.
Old December 29th 14, 09:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Don Kuenz

Uncarollo2 wrote:
[...]

Thank you for a beautiful picture. And pre-answering my question about
the naturalness of the colors. The website that's hosting your
photo does a good job of "keeping things real" in regards to color.

http://www.buytelescopes.com/t/101_1HowThingsLook

--
,-. GIVE MORE expect less LOVE MORE
\_/ argue less LISTEN MORE talk less
Old December 29th 14, 09:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

On Monday, December 29, 2014 3:10:25 PM UTC-6, Don Kuenz wrote:
Uncarollo2 wrote:
[...]

The eye does not have the ability to see color at night on a faint object. There is not enough light to stimulate our color receptors. That does not mean there is no color there. I have seen the Ring nebula in a 10" scope, and yes, there is really no color to be seen. However the view in a 60" does show quite stunning color, at least that was my experience.

In the case of narrowband, the three filtered images have strikingly different amounts of luminance, so when you combine them as an RGB color image, you get a very strong color image. There is no way to mush them together into a non-colored image except to turn it into a black&white and discard the color information.

The different colors does tell you something about the chemical composition of this glowing gas. Since oxygen (blue) and hydrogen (green) are so strong, it suggests that this particular area would have a large amount of water potential if the O and H were to combine in the right proportion. Scientists who have studied molecular clouds have discovered the atoms of hydrogen, oxygen, carbon, nitrogen and iron in quantities similar to what is found in our own hemoglobin.

Using narrowband filters is one way that researchers can tease out information on the chemical composition of deep sky structures and get an idea of how they were formed - from supernova explosions or from accretion, etc.