Inflatable mirror design validated

Old August 1st 03, 05:12 AM
Shinji Ikari

Default Inflatable mirror design validated

(william mook) wrote in message . com...
http://www.nasatech.com/Briefs/Jan01/NPO20952.html

... I was roundly
attacked by those who would have us believe they have some sort of
special knowledge in all things related to space technology.

The URL above completely validates my earlier proposal in great
detail. I just wanted to post it here to provide a complete and
correct record of events.

In other words; nya nya nya nya nya.
Old August 1st 03, 05:17 AM
Earl Colby Pottinger

(william mook) :

http://www.nasatech.com/Briefs/Jan01/NPO20952.html

A few years back I proposed a thin film mirror wherein the thickness
of the thin film was varied in order to cause the film to take on a
parabolic shape when inflated under tension.

Those who may remember this idea will also remember that I was roundly
attacked by those who would have us believe they have some sort of
special knowledge in all things related to space technology.

The URL above completely validates my earlier proposal in great
detail. I just wanted to post it here to provide a complete and
correct record of events.

Cheers

-William Mook

First, I tried to do google the original thread to see if I was one of the
people to disagree with you. I know at the time I would not thought of the
solution given to vary the thickness of the mirror. Do you have a google URL.

Second, if I was one of the people disagreeing with you, you now have my
public apology.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
Old August 3rd 03, 04:48 PM
Doug Goncz

An MIT student engineered liquid filled inflatable eyeglasses for third world
countries. An easily trained adjusted would adjust the pressure of the liquid,
positive for positive lens, negative etc.

He made some models, and the inflatable lens is under consideration for
distribution. It was his thesis, I think.

NASA Tech Briefs had an article on the inflatable mirror membrane in about
1996, I think it was. It has been under consideration for many years in many
fields.

Yours,

Doug Goncz, Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA
Unequal distribution of apoptotic factors regulates
embryonic neuronal stem cell proliferation

Old August 4th 03, 03:13 PM
Alex Terrell

(william mook) wrote in message . com...
http://www.nasatech.com/Briefs/Jan01/NPO20952.html

A few years back I proposed a thin film mirror wherein the thickness
of the thin film was varied in order to cause the film to take on a
parabolic shape when inflated under tension.

Those who may remember this idea will also remember that I was roundly
attacked by those who would have us believe they have some sort of
special knowledge in all things related to space technology.

The URL above completely validates my earlier proposal in great
detail. I just wanted to post it here to provide a complete and
correct record of events.

I didn't see the original URL, but note that the article says
"closely" resembles a parabola. I think there would be significant
engineering problems in using this technique to make a large optical
telescope.

However, as a solar concentrator, this could make heat engines more
cost effective than solar panels.

It could also be used to make giant radio telescopes. Two or more of
these could be inflated several hundred million kilometres apart to
provide amazing capability.