A Perpetual Calendar that Respects the Week

Old January 3rd 13, 05:26 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default A Perpetual Calendar that Respects the Week

On my web site at

http://www.quadibloc.com/science/cal03.htm

I have made a minor addition under the subheading "Another
Compromise".

If it is assumed that a calendar of 364 days, with one week added
during leap years, would vary too much with regard to the seasons from
one year to the next,

and a simplification like the World Calendar, which would result in
Friday, Saturday, and Sunday not falling on the days that were
*really* Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, to the great chagrin of three
major world religions,

and our present calendar is too irregular and complicated, what with
there being no apparent system to with which day of the week a year
will begin;

then perhaps what I propose there will be more satisfactory.

I have to admit, I doubt it myself; the improvement is so small, and
so much complication remains, that those seeking a better calendar
than what we now have will be unlikely to be satisfied with it - but
it is a compromise between the possible alternatives that would leave
no one too unhappy.

What I do is alternate between two kinds of groups of years, both of
which always begin on the same day of the week: a group of six years
with one leap year, and a group of five years with two leap years. (As
in our present calendar, a leap year has 366 days, and a normal one
365 days.) This leads naturally to a cycle of 62 years with 15 leap
years, thus the length of the year is 365.24193548 days in this
calendar, which is closer to 365.242199 days, the actual tropical
year, than the 365.2425 days of the Gregorian calendar.

John Savard
Old January 3rd 13, 06:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway[_6_]

"Quadibloc" wrote in message

On my web site at

http://www.quadibloc.com/science/cal03.htm

I have made a minor addition under the subheading "Another
Compromise".

If it is assumed that a calendar of 364 days, with one week added
during leap years, would vary too much with regard to the seasons from
one year to the next,
The week is one day per god, there are seven gods which move in heaven:
Sun,
Moon,
Mercury,
Venus,
Mars,
Jupiter,
Saturn,

Since Uranus and Neptune were discovered we've needed a nine day week to
worship them all, otherwise they'll continue to send us hurricanes and
tsunamis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jalaalileap.gif

-- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway.
When I get my O.B.E. I'll be an earlobe.

Old January 3rd 13, 09:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
OG

On 03/01/2013 05:26, Quadibloc wrote:
[...]

Who wants their birthday ALWAYS to fall on a Monday (for example)
Old January 3rd 13, 12:28 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Jan 3, 2:37*am, OG wrote:

Who wants their birthday ALWAYS to fall on a Monday (for example)

Well, my calendar doesn't have that property any longer, being one
step less simple than that.

If one's birthday fell on a Monday in most leap years, it would fall
on a Friday in a few other leap years... and on every day from
Wednesday to Sunday in normal years. That ought to be enough variety.

I have now noted that alternating six cycles of 62 years with 15 leap
years with one short cycle of 45 years with 11 leap years would reduce
the error in the calendar to about one day in 138,000 years, based on
the current length of the year.

John Savard
Old January 3rd 13, 03:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Jan 2, 11:11*pm, "Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway"
wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jalaalileap.gif

Why thank you. I was trying to remember that one. Yes, my calendar
takes 62 years to achieve about the same accuracy as this one does
with 33 years, accuracy comparable to the Gregorian calendar, but
that's because I take the week as an additional constraint.

John Savard
Old January 3rd 13, 05:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jalaalileap.gif

Why thank you. I was trying to remember that one. Yes, my calendar
takes 62 years to achieve about the same accuracy as this one does
with 33 years, accuracy comparable to the Gregorian calendar, but
that's because I take the week as an additional constraint.

John Savard
If you took a million years or more you'd have even greater accuracy, but
paradoxically you wouldn't because the Earth is slowing down.
Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to determine a future year
in any calendar of your own making (or choosing) that has exactly zero
leap seconds to a precision of one nanosecond. You are permitted a leap
day to get ahead and then fall back by not using leap seconds. This tape
will self-destruct in five seconds.
You mission impossible is to then prove it.

Old January 6th 13, 01:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Jan 3, 12:26*am, Quadibloc wrote:
[...]

You, Andorkles, Oriole and others, have way too much time on your
hands.

Old January 6th 13, 07:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Jan 6, 2:00*pm, wrote:
[...]

No government,no institution,educational or otherwise.no
denominational religious group,no community and no individual has
faced what has been front and center here for a decade - the
astonishing inability to match one 24 hour day with one rotation of
the Earth and keep them in step nor the realization that it is the
thin end of a very destructive wedge that undermines civilization and
especially Western Civilization.

There is nothing in you to absorb the seriousness of the situation,it
shows in the mediocrity of your views but then again who could face
something as cruel as the particular delusion that is now fabricating
a new story without fear of objection using a celestial sphere
framework and the daily rotation of the Earth.There are no facts out
there as to how fast or slow the Earth slows down each 24 hours as the
silly attempt to bundle daily and orbital motion into right ascension
so empiricists can lean on the predictive convenience of the calendar
based Ra/Dec extensions prohibits any creative or productive work.

I have absorbed this horror while attempting to open up lines of
investigation that will return some sense to astronomy and yes,allow
genuine empiricists to work with cause and effect in a less aggressive
approach.

Life goes on and for those who are genuine in their love of humanity
in individual and Universal terms,this is what makes me a Christian,it
gives back a thousand times the small effort needed to appreciate how
others looked out into this vast arena with eyes of honesty and
integrity and not as a meal ticket.

Old January 6th 13, 07:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
badastrobuster

Default Oriel - 5th attempt

Notice how carefully Oriel, over a period of some years, has avoided
explaining exactly where his views and the views of other members of
this group differ. He writes whole paragraphs - sometimes nultiple
paragraphs - hundreds of times a year but refuses to explain something
as basic as this.

He also refuses to answer any questions designed to identify what the
difference might be.

As an example - Oriel, if you look due south at midnight on July 1st
and again at midnight on January 1st of the next year will you see the
same stars in the same places.

Yes or no?

Old January 6th 13, 07:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Jan 6, 8:46*pm, badastrobuster wrote:
Notice how carefully Oriel, over a period of some years, has avoided
explaining exactly where his views and the views of other members of
this group differ. He writes whole paragraphs - sometimes nultiple
paragraphs - hundreds of times a year but refuses to explain something
as basic as this.

He also refuses to answer any questions designed to identify what the
difference might be.

As an example - Oriel, if you look due south at midnight on July 1st
and again at midnight on January 1st of the next year will you see the
same stars in the same places.

Yes or no?

I wouldn't expect anyone else to share the load,God knows it becomes
intolerable,but the least this community can do is to stop more damage
being done as they try to morph to another fabricated story of an
idealized rotation once in 24 hours back in 1820.There are students
out there who can easily grasp the foundations of timekeeping and how
they connect to the planetary cycles,an advanced student may even come
to understand the technical ins and outs of how they jumped the tracks
with right ascension,but it all depends on sharing the load rather
than this crime of silence.

There is nothing more I could do even if I wanted to continue but that
is where somebody else begins and God bless them in their endeavor.