Starliner refractor?

Old October 11th 03, 02:14 AM
Steve Hix

Default Starliner refractor?

The local paper has a classified listing for a "Starliner
6" refractor telescope" for sale.

The fellow selling it wasn't very helpful (not irritable, just unable to
describe mount type, tripod/pier, f/ratio, focal length...), and I need
some advice.

I understand that Starliner went away a couple of decades ago, that
they were based in Arizone (where he hails from)...and that's about it.

Did they make any refractors? Were they any good? Would it be worth
it for me to begin negotiating with my wife for the $300 asked-for
purchase price? (Or is it likely to be a 6" reflector with an average
mirror?)

TIA
Old October 11th 03, 02:29 AM
Bill Becker

That *has got to be* a reflector., probably 6" f/8.(ask him where the
focuser is located?)

IIRC, Star Liners had a pretty good rep in their day. At US$ 300 it sounds
like a pretty good deal
as long as the scope wasn't abused. Count on it needing collimation at best
and recoating of the mirror
at worst. I say..check it out personally if you can and run it through its
paces.

Best regards and best of luck,
Bill

Old October 11th 03, 03:29 AM
Bill Foley

A lot of people do not really know what the difference is between a refractor
and a reflector, and one advertiser in S&T used to run an ad for their 90mm
refrector. They finally figured it out and corrected the ad.
I had a Star-Liner 6" reflector, and I can tell you the mirror was super. But
this one might need recoating by now. Still, with the heavy mounts they had, I
think it would be a good buy. Ask to see a picture of the scope to be sure....

Clear, Dark, Steady Skies!
(And considerate neighbors!!!)

Old October 11th 03, 03:53 PM
Gary Hand

Starliner never made a 6" Refractor. They did make a fine 6" reflector.
Depending on the condition and model, $300 can be a real bargain.
Gary

Old October 12th 03, 02:07 AM
Steve Hix

Thanks for all the responses. I'll have to go check it
out m'self. Guessing from the phone number that it's not
far from where I'll be tomorrow night.

With any luck...