Best Amateur Astronomy Mounts

Old August 4th 03, 10:38 PM
Brian A

Default Best Amateur Astronomy Mounts

I'm wondering who is currently making some of the better mounts available to
the average amateur astronomer? I know about AP, Losmandy, Tak, but who are
the other contenders?

Thanks
Brian A

Old August 5th 03, 12:07 AM
Shawn Grant

John Dobson

Old August 5th 03, 09:00 AM
Per Erik Jorde

"Brian A" writes:

I'm wondering who is currently making some of the better mounts available to
the average amateur astronomer? I know about AP, Losmandy, Tak, but who are
the other contenders?

That depends entirely on what you plan to put on the mount, and for
what purpose.

Per Erik
Old August 5th 03, 11:35 AM
Brian A

Default Best Amateur Astronomy Mounts - Clarified

OK, lets clarify just a bit.

A, I'm only considering equatorial mounts.

B, What I'm looking for is brand names of companies that produce top quality
mounts.

Thanks
Brian A

Old August 5th 03, 03:28 PM
Edward

"Brian A" wrote in message
OK, lets clarify just a bit.

A, I'm only considering equatorial mounts.

B, What I'm looking for is brand names of companies that produce top

quality
mounts.

Thanks
Brian A

I would include Mountain Instruments and Software Bisque in the list.

http://www.bisque.com/
http://www.mountaininstruments.com/

Ed

Old August 6th 03, 03:12 AM
Chris S

If this mount is for visual use only, I wouldn't go to nuts on the mount.
Some of the higher end mounts go well up into the thousands. You can pick
up a pretty sturdy EQ mount for visual use for $500 including motors.

If you are interested in astrophotography, then you are going to start at
$1000 and just go up to get anything decent. I have been looking into
mounts for astrophotography for the past few weeks and I really like the
Vixen GP or the GP-DX. The have really good reviews and aren't outrageous
in price.

http://www.vixenamerica.com/StartPage/

/chris

Old August 6th 03, 05:33 AM
Alan W. Craft

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 21:38:07 GMT, "Brian A" ...reflected:

I'm wondering who is currently making some of the better mounts available to
the average amateur astronomer? I know about AP, Losmandy, Tak, but who are
the other contenders?

Thanks
Brian A

Vixen, for one. I have their GP-DX, and it's promising, though
I haven't had any real chance to put it through its paces...yet.

I passed over the Losmandy GM-8 in favor of it.

Alan

Old August 6th 03, 05:40 AM
Alan W. Craft

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 14:28:32 GMT, "Edward" ...reflected:

"Brian A" wrote in message
OK, lets clarify just a bit.

A, I'm only considering equatorial mounts.

B, What I'm looking for is brand names of companies that produce top

quality
mounts.

Thanks
Brian A

I would include Mountain Instruments and Software Bisque in the list.

You'd best throw in several thousand dollars, if not tens..., while you're at it.