Scientists Find Asteroids Are Missing...

Old March 13th 09, 04:06 PM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Default Scientists Find Asteroids Are Missing...

Thought I'd accidentally post some astronomy content here...

http://www.physorg.com/news154802620.html

.... some of us may not have seen this ...

David A. Smith
Old March 14th 09, 01:33 AM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan

dlzc wrote:
Thought I'd accidentally post some astronomy content here...

http://www.physorg.com/news154802620.html

... some of us may not have seen this ...

Well, I guess we can be glad that they aren't talking about the giant
planets migrating all of the way into the inner solar system, but just
moving slightly to closer or further orbits depending on the planet.

Everything about our solar system seems very moderate. Not only do we
have a Goldilocks terrestrial planet, even our gas giants are ideally
situated. Other solar systems, you get gas giants migrating right into
the inner solar system, but ours not so much. At least as far as we can
tell from the leftover remnants that we have left.

Yousuf Khan
Old March 18th 09, 12:20 PM posted to sci.astro
Bluuuue Rajah

Yousuf Khan wrote in :

dlzc wrote:
Thought I'd accidentally post some astronomy content here...

http://www.physorg.com/news154802620.html

... some of us may not have seen this ...

Well, I guess we can be glad that they aren't talking about the giant
planets migrating all of the way into the inner solar system, but just
moving slightly to closer or further orbits depending on the planet.

Everything about our solar system seems very moderate. Not only do we
have a Goldilocks terrestrial planet, even our gas giants are ideally
situated. Other solar systems, you get gas giants migrating right into
the inner solar system, but ours not so much. At least as far as we
can tell from the leftover remnants that we have left.

There's more detail here.
Old March 18th 09, 12:20 PM posted to sci.astro
Bluuuue Rajah

Yousuf Khan wrote in :

dlzc wrote:
Thought I'd accidentally post some astronomy content here...

http://www.physorg.com/news154802620.html

... some of us may not have seen this ...

Well, I guess we can be glad that they aren't talking about the giant
planets migrating all of the way into the inner solar system, but just
moving slightly to closer or further orbits depending on the planet.

Everything about our solar system seems very moderate. Not only do we
have a Goldilocks terrestrial planet, even our gas giants are ideally
situated. Other solar systems, you get gas giants migrating right into
the inner solar system, but ours not so much. At least as far as we
can tell from the leftover remnants that we have left.

I mean here.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/commu.../41067517.html
Old March 21st 09, 05:16 PM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan

Bluuuue Rajah wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote in :
Well, I guess we can be glad that they aren't talking about the giant
planets migrating all of the way into the inner solar system, but just
moving slightly to closer or further orbits depending on the planet.

Everything about our solar system seems very moderate. Not only do we
have a Goldilocks terrestrial planet, even our gas giants are ideally
situated. Other solar systems, you get gas giants migrating right into
the inner solar system, but ours not so much. At least as far as we
can tell from the leftover remnants that we have left.

There's more detail here.

Your link has the following quote:

"As Minton and Malhotra point, this "great escape" coincides with a
pulse of intense inner-planet bombardment that left the Moon with the
vast majority of the craters seen today."
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/commu.../41067517.html

They said that the majority of asteroids may have been ejected 100
million years after solar system formed. There seems to be a timing
problem here. If, as according to the Earth-Mars-sized-object collision
theory that led to the formation of the Moon, then the Moon was also
just recently formed. Then wouldn't the Moon be basically a molten blob
at this point of time, if not simply a debris field? So wouldn't all of
these asteroid-hit craters have just gotten smoothed out and
incorporated into the molten Moon?

If this is the case, then there is a major problem with the
Earth-Mars-sized-object theory, and the Moon can't have been formed in
that way. Perhaps the Moon actually formed from the same primordial
material that the Earth formed from, and at the same time? Thus the Moon
would be already relatively as cool as the Earth, by the time the
asteroid-belt bombardment happened. I know that people have a problem
with this theory about Moon formation because they think the Moon is far
too large of a satellite to have formed naturally around the Earth, but
perhaps it was one of those freakish coincidences about the Earth that
eventually led to life?

Yousuf Khan
Old March 21st 09, 10:30 PM posted to sci.astro
Elijahovah

other solar systems?
you know of any star with more than one or two planets?
how do you know these stars that wobble form planets have
large planets that interfere with small planets.
What drugs are you on that makes you see things that
wicked fallen angles would show you ?