Determining orbit trajectories

Old February 11th 13, 03:46 AM posted to sci.space.science
Doug Hortvet

Default Determining orbit trajectories

Am most interested in the methods JPL uses to calculate orbits of NEOs and how frequently
the data used to calculate the orbits is updated for close approach objects.

Specifically:

1. Are JPL's algorithms proprietary or published?
2. If published - where can they be accessed?
3. What is the type and source of the data used in orbit determination?

Thanks in advance for responses / comments.

Regards,

Doug

Old February 12th 13, 01:43 AM posted to sci.space.science
Steve Willner

In article ,
Doug Hortvet writes:
1. Are JPL's algorithms proprietary or published?

The underlying theory is general relativity, which is widely
published. I'd expect many of the numerical methods to be published
as well, but I don't know for a fact that they are. Actual computer
codes are probably being tweaked all the time, and I wouldn't expect
them to be published, but you could try a FOIA request. An informal
request to a JPL contact might be simpler and quicker.

2. If published - where can they be accessed?

Results -- ephemerides and such -- are available at
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/?horizons

I expected to find more information about methods than I did, but
maybe I didn't search well enough.

3. What is the type and source of the data used in orbit determination?

Depends on the object, but in general I'd expect JPL to use all
available data. There are several telescopes dedicated to finding
and tracking solar system objects, and there's an IAU Minor Planet
Center charged with compiling asteroid and comet observations.

Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA

Optimization of Launch-Vehicle Trajectories are History 0 August 23rd 08 04:39 PM
Projectile trajectories RichD Misc 16 July 17th 05 01:43 PM
Mysterious Effect May Influence Spacecraft Trajectories Chuck Farley Misc 5 October 12th 04 10:42 PM
Kepler's laws and trajectories tetrahedron Astronomy Misc 2 March 27th 04 05:31 AM
Question about launch trajectories Mike Space Shuttle 3 January 9th 04 08:29 AM