jupiter and saturn

Old April 19th 04, 04:12 PM
Holly

Default jupiter and saturn

I have a question and thats can people still see jupiter and saturn ?
I remember sone guy or some person said they were only out during winter well
now that its getting warm im going to start looking around the sky again.
Old April 19th 04, 04:30 PM
Dave

Holly wrote:
I have a question and thats can people still see jupiter and saturn ?
I remember sone guy or some person said they were only out during
winter well now that its getting warm im going to start looking
around the sky again.

Hi Holly,

The exact positions in the sky depend on where you are, and whether you use
daylight saving time. I'm in London UK, and assuming you are at the
apporximately the same latitude, then the following should be close enough
for your location and local time.

At about 9pm tonight:
Jupiter should be about 45 degrees high, just a little bit east (left) of
south.
Saturn will be about the same hight in the sky, but in the SWW direction. If
you can find Orion, it's about 20 degrees higher than Betelgeuse.
Venus will be almost due west about 30 degrees high, with Mars a little to
the left, but much fainter.
That should be reasonably accurate for the next few days.

Good luck finding them.

DaveL

Old April 19th 04, 10:55 PM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

Holly wrote in
:

I have a question and thats can people still see jupiter and saturn ?
I remember sone guy or some person said they were only out during
winter well now that its getting warm im going to start looking around
the sky again.

The only time when you cant see these planets is when their ecliptic
longitude is too close to the Sun to see them. At present Jupiter and
Saturn are both visible in the evening. Saturn will be behind the Sun from
our point of view around 8th July so viewing a month or so either side of
that isn't much good. By September it will be a good morning object prior
to Sun rise. Jupiter doesn't pass behind the Sun until about 22nd September
so will remain visible in the evening for quite a while.

LK.
Old April 20th 04, 03:53 AM
Holly

"Dave" wrote in
:

Holly wrote:
[...]

Well I live in lower Michigan and I will need good luck finding them because
I dont know anything about 45 degrees except if you mean temperature.
I can find directions becuase I have a compass.

Old April 20th 04, 03:55 AM
Holly

Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th wrote in
7.6:

Holly wrote in
:

I have a question and thats can people still see jupiter and saturn ?
I remember sone guy or some person said they were only out during
winter well now that its getting warm im going to start looking around
the sky again.

The only time when you cant see these planets is when their ecliptic
longitude is too close to the Sun to see them. At present Jupiter and
Saturn are both visible in the evening. Saturn will be behind the Sun
from our point of view around 8th July so viewing a month or so either
side of that isn't much good. By September it will be a good morning
object prior to Sun rise. Jupiter doesn't pass behind the Sun until
about 22nd September so will remain visible in the evening for quite a
while.

LK.

Well the thing about that is I like to do most of my watching from when it
gets dark to maybe midnite so you are saying you can only see them early in
the morning ?

Old April 20th 04, 04:34 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

Holly wrote in
:

[...]

No. Evening at present. Morning later this year.

LK
Old April 20th 04, 10:16 AM
Dave

Holly wrote:
"Dave" wrote in
:

Holly wrote:
[...]

No, I mean degrees of angle. If you turn through a full circle that's 360
degrees, half a circle is 180 degress, and a turn through a quarter of a
circle is 90 degrees. Similarly, the hight of stars (or planets) can be
measured in degrees of angle. If you are in a flat area, the horizon will be
at 0 degrees, and a point directly overhead will be at 90 degrees
If you are in lower Michigan, then you are a bit further south than me, so
the planets should appear a bit higher in the sky, but not much.
By 45 degrees, I mean halfway between the horizon (0 degrees elevation) and
straight up (90 degrees elevation). Actually, I'd guess Jupiter and Vensus
should be at about 50 degrees elevation at 9pm for you. You can't really
miss them, as they are the brightest objects in those parts of the sky.

DaveL