18 Volt Cordless Drill

Old May 22nd 09, 04:33 AM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default 18 Volt Cordless Drill

Price:$39.99
Image: http://thediscounfinder.info/image.php?id=B000FLYQ72
Best deal: http://thediscounfinder.info/index.php?id=B000FLYQ72

I already own a Cummins 18v Combination set with a drill and saw. I must say that I love the set. They have ample power to do a wide variety of jobs. By no means a Dewalt but not bad at all. This being said...This 18 v Cummins drill is NOTHING like the one I already have. Because I only have one battery I decided to get another one. For the price difference I figured that I would buy a drill and end up with a new drill and back up charger in addition to the battery that I needed. When I received the drill, I discovered that the batteries are not at all the same. They are both 18v but are constructed differently. (no numbers or identifying markings are on the battery except for 18v) I contacted the company directly and learned that they no longer carry a battery to fit the combo set that I have. I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT! THEY DON'T SUPPORT THERE PRODUCTS! Instead of paying $10 shipping to return the drill I decided to "suck it up" and just keep it. Once I removed it from the box...I could not believe how "cheap" the charger is...a "HUGE" step backwards from the one that I had already. So cheap in fact that the charger cord was broken off right at the plug. Cummins issued a full refund and told me to discard the drill. I am dissapointed in this product and with the company too for not supporting their products!
I needed an inexpensive drill, since I wouldn't be using it daily, like for work, or even weekly, but for occasional jobs around the house. I was willing to save money by buying a corded drill. I did some web searching and every drill I found was over my spending limit. Yes, many were from well-known brands, but none within my price range, even refurbished. Then I came across the Cummins cordless. I'd never heard of Cummins, but the drill looked nice, was cordless, came with a charger, drill bits and carrying case. I figured if it was crap I could send it back. When it arrived I was pleased. The drill had a nice weight and balance (I'm female and needed something that didn't weight a lot). I liked the keyless chuck - that was easier than using a key (usually taped to the cord, the teeth of which stripped over time). It was reversible and variable speed. After charging the battery, I tried it on a project and it worked well. It may not last a lifetime (then again, it might), but I won't be out a significant chunk of cash.
[UPDATE EDIT: Cummins Tools admitted they made a mistake/typo on both their website and Amazon's website. They changed the specs on both sites the same day I emailed them asking for a full refund. They gave me a full refund and also did not ask that I return the item, but instead asked me to discard it in any way I see fit. The drill seems to work fine up to 600 RPM, which should be enough power to use it as a cordless screwdriver at the least. As a test, I just drilled a hole in a piece of hard wood fire wood. It made the hole, but the bit clogged fairly quickly and it would not drive any further unless I pulled it out, cleaned it and continued. The bits that come with the drill are not very good so it may do better with good, sharp, straight bits. I would not attempt any serious or major project, but it'll do for re-drilling holes that don't line up on IKEA furniture and that sort of thing. Not sure it's worth the $30 you pay with s/h, but mine ending up being free becasue of their typo. I'll post back if it dies unexpectedly quickly.][This is approximately my first review. I edited out some harsh language due to their quick and satisfying customer service:]According to the manual and box the drill came in, the speed of this drill is 0-600 RPM NOT 0-6000 as it incorrectly states above.I have not tested as to whether it will actually drive a hole into anything as it will take 5 hours to charge the battery.I'll update this review later as to performance and/or what Amazon/Cummins proposes we do about the "false advertising" I have been a victim of.
HD battery means long run time between charging. Soft Grip and well balanced handle for more comfortable operation. Includes: 18 volt drill/driver, Battery and charger, 12 assorted bits