19th Cent. Image of Comet Tearing Earth Apart

Old November 19th 03, 09:48 PM
Pat Flannery

Default 19th Cent. Image of Comet Tearing Earth Apart

Bruce Palmer wrote:

That file name looks like a cache file. If you look in your cache
directory (or "Temporary Internet Files" for MSIE users) you'll see
everything gets strange random looking names.

That is indeed where it was located; Norton took out the virus; so I
went and downloaded the file to Wordpad to see what it was; it was (I
think) the main homepage for the site; it definitely was from the site;
as it said "origin of the moon" or some-such in regards to the graphics
that were displayed, and real-time Norton monitoring of my computer
spotted it within around a minute after it downloaded- unfortunately, I
deleted the file after looking at it on Wordpad; otherwise I would send
you a transcript of what was in the cleaned version of the file. IIRC, I
went to the homepage, then went to the section about the book, and the
outline of the theory; so it should be in one of those places; and from
what the file showed, I think it was the homepage.

If that is the case, the name will be differetn for everyone who
downloads it.

Computer whizz kid I'm not; I was pleased with myself in being able to
track down the file and look at it in Wordpad.

I'm going to look at it since I don't use MSIE or Lookout and
therefore am not vulnerable to such things. I'll let you know which
link on the page it's coming from (if it's still there).

I don't use either of those either, and it got me. (I'll send you the
info on what I use via private email) you will see, the graphic isn't
anything to get excited about.
I would go back and download it on purpose to see what exactly it is,
but even with Norton, downloading a virus on purpose doesn't sound like
a good idea on basic principles.

Pat

Old November 20th 03, 07:43 PM
Scott Ferrin

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 19:51:13 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

JimO wrote:

I'm looking for a jpg of that late 19th century drawing showing a demonic
comet hitting earth, tearing the planet apart with its comet arms. Is it
available on the 'net anywhere? I've tried the search engines but can't
describe it precisely enough to avoid being swamped by thousands of
candidate hits. Thanks!

I know exactly the one you are talking about. Bet you didn't think of
doing "comet cartoon" on Google, did ya?
http://www.boulder.swri.edu/clark/chance/23oldcom.jpg

Pat

Sad thing is I knew exactly which one she was tallking about.
Old November 20th 03, 09:21 PM
Pat Flannery

Scott Ferrin wrote:

Sad thing is I knew exactly which one she was tallking about.

Okay...was it Jim or I that just got back from Denmark?

Pat...as in Patrick

Old November 21st 03, 12:41 AM
Scott Ferrin

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:21:50 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Scott Ferrin wrote:

Sad thing is I knew exactly which one she was tallking about.

Okay...was it Jim or I that just got back from Denmark?

Pat...as in Patrick

Actually I looked at it later and I was replying to Jim LOL But I
*had* always wondered about Pat since there are names used by both men
and women. I'd been thinking Pat was female and that I was replying
:-)
Old November 21st 03, 04:48 AM
Stuf4

From Pat Flannery:
Stuf4 wrote:

This thread has taken a curious twist...

Teton/clitoris discussion = A-OK,
Link to lunar origin graphic/theory offered by myself = Threat of
somekind.

Well, if anyone want's to go to the site you supplied the web address
to, and download the virus along with the webpage, who am I to stop them?
I at least gave you the benefit of an out, by stating that I thought it
may have been somebody impersonating you who purposely sent the address
to a site which they knew contained a virus, so as to cause your "good
name" (ROTFLMAO) to be tarnished by the annoyance the virus caused...as
your posts aren't even supposed to show up on my machine at all, the
arrival of the post, along with the web connection to the site with the
virus seemed to indicate that this might be the case...so either
something's wrong with my killfiles, or you changed your address...but
don't take my word for it, go over to the site you recommended, nose
around, and see if you get a file named F3E3BED9d01 containing the
W32.Nimda.A@mm(html) virus downloaded along with the really crappy
amateur painting of two planets hitting each other.
Now back under the iron pot, puffball.

Here is a new thread regarding "fear of retribution" for expressing
certain views that may not conform to the "popular opinion" within a
group:

. com

Point being: Ron Dittemore might have benefited from having a few
more "puffballs" and a few less "iron pots". Or to put it another
way, you might want to use more care when screening out what you call
a virus, because you might be discarding an antibiotic.

....not to say, necessarily, that the "ameteur painting" ISN'T "really
crappy". Let's say that we *agree* that it's a "really crappy"
painting. In exercising open-minded thinking (in place of groupthink)
one might arrive at the realization that even a "crappy" image might
serve as good fertilizer for the sprouting of an excellent idea.

~ CT
Old November 21st 03, 05:10 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Stuf4" wrote in message
om...
From Pat Flannery:
Stuf4 wrote:

[...]

You know CT, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume
here you're being ignorant.

The only threat of somekind was that the website you directed folks to
apparently has a worm on it. Pat never claimed that a) it was your website
or b) your redirection to the URL was intentional. In fact he gave you the
benefit of the doubt that it might have been someone else trying to make you
look bad.

Given it's probably some amatuer running IIS, it's very likely they've not
installed the right patches and don't even know their website is infected.

So stop trying to find offense when none was apparently intended. It only
makes you look like a moron.

~ CT

Old November 21st 03, 05:29 AM
Andre Lieven

One minor correction added below...

"Greg D. Moore \" ) writes:
"Stuf4" wrote in message
om...
From Pat Flannery:
Stuf4 wrote:

[...]

.... *more of*...

a moron.

Andre

--
" I'm a man... But, I can change... If I have to... I guess. "
The Man Prayer, Red Green.
Old November 21st 03, 12:27 PM
Pat Flannery

Scott Ferrin wrote:

Actually I looked at it later and I was replying to Jim LOL But I
*had* always wondered about Pat since there are names used by both men
and women.

Yes...and I can't tell you how thrilled I was that the writers of
Saturday Night Live also realized that fact.

I'd been thinking Pat was female and that I was replying

I'm a woman trapped in a man's body....and that woman is a LESBIAN!

Pat

Old November 21st 03, 01:08 PM
Pat Flannery

Stuf4 wrote:

Or to put it another
way, you might want to use more care when screening out what you call
a virus, because you might be discarding an antibiotic.

GOD! I've got to figure out how the killfile in 7.1 works, pronto!

...not to say, necessarily, that the "ameteur painting" ISN'T "really
crappy". Let's say that we *agree* that it's a "really crappy"
painting. In exercising open-minded thinking (in place of groupthink)
one might arrive at the realization that even a "crappy" image might
serve as good fertilizer for the sprouting of an excellent idea.

That's bull****.

Pat

Old November 21st 03, 01:14 PM
Pat Flannery

Andre Lieven wrote:

Given it's probably some amateur running IIS, it's very likely they've not
installed the right patches and don't even know their website is infected.

So stop trying to find offense when none was apparently intended. It only
makes you look like

... *more of*...

a moron.

The sergeant turned to the private, and asked: "What do you think of
Hitler?"
The private replied: "He's an asshole, sir."
....then he reconsidered: "He's an asshole."

Pat