solar twin?

Old August 11th 05, 06:30 AM
draper1070

Default solar twin?

I have read that star hd 143436/hip 78399 may be a very close match to
sol,and is not extremely distant to boot.However I haven't been able to
find a finder chart online.The article I read indicated that it is
within range of binocular observation but left it at that.I do have a
couple of planetarium programs(ie cartes du ciel)but no luck.If anyone
else is interested in this ,or has info on where I should look I would
greatly appreciate it .Thanks

Old August 11th 05, 07:28 AM
George

"draper1070" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have read that star hd 143436/hip 78399 may be a very close match to
sol,and is not extremely distant to boot.However I haven't been able to
find a finder chart online.The article I read indicated that it is
within range of binocular observation but left it at that.I do have a
couple of planetarium programs(ie cartes du ciel)but no luck.If anyone
else is interested in this ,or has info on where I should look I would
greatly appreciate it .Thanks

Does this star have another designation? I'm not finding it anywhere.

Old August 11th 05, 08:11 AM
Mike Kreuzer

" George" wrote in message

"draper1070" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have read that star hd 143436/hip 78399 may be a very close match to
sol,and is not extremely distant to boot.However I haven't been able to
find a finder chart online.The article I read indicated that it is
within range of binocular observation but left it at that.I do have a
couple of planetarium programs(ie cartes du ciel)but no luck.If anyone
else is interested in this ,or has info on where I should look I would
greatly appreciate it .Thanks

Does this star have another designation? I'm not finding it anywhere.

The standard installation of Cartes only has a catalogue of stars down to
mag 6.5, you need to download the other (deeper & therefore bigger)
catalogues (and indexes) separately. I have sky2000 and the HD index and
found it. Check out the Cartes downloads page for details.

For anyone interested this is the article in Astronomy:
http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=3412

Same article on the author's page has a link to the original research:
http://www.kencroswell.com/HD143436.html
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/astro-ph/0508004

Regards,
Mike Kreuzer
www.mikekreuzer.com

Old August 11th 05, 08:18 AM
Martin R. Howell

From Cartes du Ciel :

Star
HIP 78399
Visual Magnitude: 8.05
Color Index: 0.64
Spectral Class: G0
Proper Motion in Right ascension: -0.136
Proper Motion in Declination: -0.110
Parallax: 0.0230
Distance: 141.8 light years
Magnitude Tycho BT: 8.847
Magnitude Tycho VT: 8.127
V-I:0.71
Hpmag:8.1821
Hpscat:0.011
VarPer:0.0
Position Angle: 0.0
Separation: 0.0
Dmag:0.0

J2000 RA: 16h00m18.92s DE:+00°08'14.2"
Date RA: 16h00m36.15s DE:+00°07'18.2"

--
Martin R. Howell
"Photographs From the Universe of Amateur Astronomy"
Old August 11th 05, 11:33 AM
George

"Mike Kreuzer" wrote in message
" George" wrote in message

[...]

I found it on starry night 4.5 using it's alternate name - HIP 78399.

Here is some more information on the star from the Hipparcos catalogue:

http://cadcwww.dao.nrc.ca/cadcbin/wd...99&simbad=none

Here is some photmetry data for the star:

http://cadcwww.dao.nrc.ca/tmp/hipparcos/4848.gif

And here is the star:

http://207.219.21.2/cgi-local/dss.cg...2c-EW&p=N65289

I will be doing some observing with my brother and a couple of very
experienced friends Friday night. It might be an interesting object to try
to find and photograph. Will keep everyone posted. Wish me luck.

Old August 11th 05, 01:24 PM
Sam Wormley

Mo http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/sim-id.pl...dent=hd+143436