laser use in astronomy? The NANNY-STATE has you covered!!

Old September 29th 17, 12:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

Default laser use in astronomy? The NANNY-STATE has you covered!!

Lasers and astronomy

Lasers are often used in astronomy to point at stars or sky features. If you plan on aiming a laser into the sky, please complete a notice of proposal form. You can also speak with your local astronomy club – they may have additional information for you.

According to Transport Canada regulations, any person planning to project a laser into navigable airspace must get permission from the department. We give written permission if your laser use is not likely to:

create a hazard to aviation safety
cause damage to an aircraft
cause injury to persons on board the aircraft

We may specify conditions necessary to ensure the safe use of the laser.

The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada has produced a webpage with information and recommendations on green laser pointer usage.
News

Old September 29th 17, 01:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 4:44:45 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
Lasers and astronomy

Lasers are often used in astronomy to point at stars or sky features. If you plan on aiming a laser into the sky, please complete a notice of proposal form. You can also speak with your local astronomy club – they may have additional information for you.

According to Transport Canada regulations, any person planning to project a laser into navigable airspace must get permission from the department. We give written permission if your laser use is not likely to:

create a hazard to aviation safety
cause damage to an aircraft
cause injury to persons on board the aircraft

We may specify conditions necessary to ensure the safe use of the laser.

The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada has produced a webpage with information and recommendations on green laser pointer usage.
News

I use my green laser all the time, it is the most convenient way to point out things in the sky at a star party, and it works like a charm! Of course, you need to be careful with it, and make sure that you are pointing it *only* into the (empty) sky, and not randomly into the surrounding crowd. Like most everything else, it can be misused, which could ruin it for everyone.

As an aside, a green laser will stop coyotes from howling almost instantly. We observe often from a local dry lake bed in the local desert, and when they start up across the valley, a quick blast from the green laser and they choke off their howl immediately, and don't start up again for maybe 20 minutes. Rinse and repeat!
Old September 29th 17, 05:34 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

[...]

Once I shoot down a 747 with my green laser by accident, 300 people died!!
Don't tell the FAA, please?
Old September 29th 17, 05:53 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Friday, 29 September 2017 06:34:12 UTC+2, StarDust wrote:

Once I shoot down a 747 with my green laser by accident, 300 people died!!
Don't tell the FAA, please?

You think a humble 747 is important?
Our Klingon fleet is just waiting for a laser to be shone in our direction.
It will mean all out war! And, we are cloaked in plain sight.
Be very afraid!
Gowron
Old September 29th 17, 03:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 16:44:42 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

According to Transport Canada regulations, any person planning to project a laser into navigable airspace must get permission from the department.

You know why this happens? Because lasers are inexpensive and many
output far more than they are legally allowed to. And idiots buy these
cheap lasers and point them at airplanes, police helicopters, drivers,
and otherwise create unsafe situations. And so we end up with more
regulations, which impact those of us who don't create problems at
all.

Regulations like this are a consequence of too many idiots.
Old September 30th 17, 07:27 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Friday, 29 September 2017 16:00:08 UTC+2, Chris L Peterson wrote:

Regulations like this are a consequence of too many idiots.

Idiots have always vastly outnumbered the sensible.

How else do you explain advertising, religion, obesity, fast food, smoking, new vehicle purchase, soap operas, billionaires, pop idol worship, Walmart, party politics, bad driving, alcoholism, team sports fans, supermarkets, drug abuse, Apple, celebrity culture, high end hi-fi, modern art and music, computer games, patriotism, commuting, snobbery, hunting and shooting, Dump or sigh 1461?
Old September 30th 17, 07:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 12:27:44 AM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

Idiots have always vastly outnumbered the sensible.

Fortunately, we may be in a position to change this.

Thanks to CRISPR, perhaps we will be able to modify the human race so that the
period of rapid brain growth, instead of ending at two years of age, continues
until, say, four years of age.

That way, humans won't have bigger brains at birth, so women won't have any
additional problems giving birth, but adults will look like the traditional
image of "future people" with giant brains - and, presumably, will actually be
somewhat more intelligent.

It may not be quite as simple as that, but an increase in the average
intelligence level of the human race cannot come too soon.

John Savard
Old September 30th 17, 07:51 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 12:27:44 AM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:
Walmart,
supermarkets,

Surely it is rational to purchase articles where they are sold most cheaply,
among those places that can be inexpensively reached by suitable transportation.

computer games,

What is wrong with occasionally passing the time with amusements to keep one's
mind alert and interested?

commuting,

Individuals choosing to commute to work are often acting quite rationally - as
it may be the only way they can take advantage of available employment and yet
afford to live in a neighborhood with reasonable safety from crime.

Now, one could say that the situation would not be allowed to arise in a
rational society - and, indeed, a consciously planned society, rather than one
where the market is basically left to itself, would be different from what we
now live in.

Given, however, the *true* nature of that about which someone once said "I have
seen the future, and it works", achieving a rationally-planned society, given
the risks of abuse of power by people into whose hands it is placed (and having
things be done as planned from above, instead of as everyone does on their own
does require putting power in somebody's hands)... is easier said than done.

Trump is a bad joke who gives both conservatism and Populism a bad name. He
doesn't represent what either of those political viewpoints really stand for.
They have valid points, just as your political orientation brings valid points
to the table. The issues are more complex than you give them credit for.

John Savard
Old September 30th 17, 08:26 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 23:51:18 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
wrote:
Trump is a bad joke who gives both conservatism and Populism a bad

name. He
doesn't represent what either of those political viewpoints really

stand for.

So what does Populism really stand for? Didn't Populism have a bad
name already long before Trump?
Old September 30th 17, 08:45 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 1:26:50 AM UTC-6, Paul Schlyter wrote:

So what does Populism really stand for? Didn't Populism have a bad
name already long before Trump?

You do have a valid point.

But in my view, there is indeed a legitimate political orientation associated
with the phenomenon of Populism.

A significant segment of the electorate is, on the one hand, socially
conservative, and, on the other hand, seeks economic policies which favor the
working class rather than big business.

Neither a conservative party or a liberal party will do what these voters want
in both policy areas. A Populist party would. And isn't democracy about the
people governing the country, instead of political parties getting to advance
their own agendas?

John Savard