Nova (PBS) Tuesday - EXCELLENT Program

Old January 5th 04, 06:48 AM
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

Default Nova (PBS) Tuesday - EXCELLENT Program

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 05:30:33 GMT, "Robert J. Kolker"
wrote:

That's a buck forty or so per lander, per person in the United States.
It's not extraordinarily cheap, but we've seen what NASA does with cheap,
and sorry, no thank you.

You neglect to say the buck forty was taken whether or not the person
gave a damn about landing on Mars. Unless this is somehow related to our
national defense or keeping order in our land, I would say this is flat
out theft.

I, for one, am not happy with how they're mis-spending my money in pursuit of
national defense nor domestic order, but I can't do any more about it than you
can do about the Mars missions. At least you could, if you choose, enjoy the
exploration, which is more than I can do with the fascism.

Old January 5th 04, 08:01 AM
lcopps

Robert J. Kolker wrote:

Brian Tung wrote:

You neglect to say the buck forty was taken whether or not the person
gave a damn about landing on Mars. Unless this is somehow related to our
national defense or keeping order in our land, I would say this is flat
out theft.

I suppose you think paying people not to work, farmers not to grow
crops, or other pork spending to allow politicians to buy votes is a
better investment. Never hear of any complaints about that. But for
some reason furthering humanities push into space, and funding an effort
that may allow our civilization to obtain raw materials from sources
other than this pillaged planet, always draws criticism.
Imagine that.

Old January 5th 04, 09:27 AM
Happy Dog

"Robert J. Kolker" wrote in message

Sam Wormley wrote:

Dear Everybody--Nova (PBS) normally airs on Tuesday evenings
and will do so again, Tuesday, January 6th. It will be the
same excellent program that aired tonight (Sunday) but promises
to include in its last five minutes the latest images (in color)
from Gusev Crater (what is believed to have once been a terminal
lake basin) on Mars.

These rovers are like remote geologists on wheels... It's the best
we can do right now as they extend some of our senses down to the
planet's surface!

And they only cost $400,000,000 apiece. What a bargain! And how much new
technology is spinning off of that effort?

Gee. Just to make your position solid, tell us which government programs,
big ones, you think really are a bargain.

Wouldn't it be nice if our space effort actually paid for itself?

You mean made a financial profit? Sure. Assuming that you see some value
in exploration, what programs of this nature could pay for themselves in the
short term?

le moo

Old January 5th 04, 10:56 AM
Franz Heymann

Sam Wormley wrote:

Dear Everybody--Nova (PBS) normally airs on Tuesday evenings
and will do so again, Tuesday, January 6th. It will be the
same excellent program that aired tonight (Sunday) but promises
to include in its last five minutes the latest images (in color)
from Gusev Crater (what is believed to have once been a terminal
lake basin) on Mars.

These rovers are like remote geologists on wheels... It's the best
we can do right now as they extend some of our senses down to the
planet's surface!

And they only cost $400,000,000 apiece. What a bargain! And how much new
technology is spinning off of that effort?

Wouldn't it be nice if our space effort actually paid for itself?

Ye gods, does everything have to be measured in terms of financial return?

Have you realised that if you were to switch off your space research, a
large industry would grind to a halt, thus driving your country even further
into bankruptcy than it already is?

Franz