Info about "Bausch & Lomb Criterion 4000"

Old August 29th 18, 03:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default Info about "Bausch & Lomb Criterion 4000"

On Sunday, October 31, 1999 at 9:00:00 AM UTC+2, Christian Schims wrote:
I have bought a funny little scope on a flea market, that seems to be
very rare here in Germany. Its a Bausch & Lomb Criterion 4000 (4" SCT)
including a rifle-type finder scope and a 24mm kellner(?) eyepiece.

I even did not star-test ist. So, can anybody tell me anything about
this instrument, e.g. f-ratio, expectable quality, approx. manufacturing
time etc.

Thank in advance
Chris

just got this stuff from auction its comes two lance 18mm and 30mm but when i look at sky at night i don't see anythings can some one help me ?
Old August 29th 18, 11:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Wednesday, 29 August 2018 10:38:16 UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, October 31, 1999 at 9:00:00 AM UTC+2, Christian Schims wrote:
I have bought a funny little scope on a flea market, that seems to be
very rare here in Germany. Its a Bausch & Lomb Criterion 4000 (4" SCT)
including a rifle-type finder scope and a 24mm kellner(?) eyepiece.

I even did not star-test ist. So, can anybody tell me anything about
this instrument, e.g. f-ratio, expectable quality, approx. manufacturing
time etc.

Thank in advance
Chris

just got this stuff from auction its comes two lance 18mm and 30mm but when i look at sky at night i don't see anythings can some one help me ?

In the daytime, point it (using the 30mm eyepiece) at a distant subject and focus until it's clear. Leave it. At night, point the scope at a light source and align the finderscope with the main scope. Once done, you should be able to point it at any object you see with your eye. If the moon is out, try it. You should only need to refocus a bit as an object at infinity in the daytime is going to be close to focus things in the sky at night. Once you learn how to focus the scope with the low power (30mm eyepiece) you can use the higher power 18mm eyepiece.
Old August 31st 18, 09:33 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown[_3_]

wrote:
I have bought a funny little scope on a flea market, that seems
to be very rare here in Germany. Its a Bausch & Lomb Criterion
4000 (4" SCT) including a rifle-type finder scope and a 24mm
kellner(?) eyepiece.

I even did not star-test ist. So, can anybody tell me anything
about this instrument, e.g. f-ratio, expectable quality, approx.
manufacturing time etc.

Thank in advance Chris

just got this stuff from auction its comes two lance 18mm and 30mm
but when i look at sky at night i don't see anythings can some one
help me ?

In the daytime, point it (using the 30mm eyepiece) at a distant
subject and focus until it's clear. Leave it.

You might as well align the finder scope on a distant church spire too.
It won't be all that far out if you use a TV antenna just a few streets
away or the top of a chimney. Anything to get it close is worhtwhile.

At night, point the
scope at a light source and align the finderscope with the main
scope. Once done, you should be able to point it at any object you
see with your eye. If the moon is out, try it. You should only need
to refocus a bit as an object at infinity in the daytime is going to
be close to focus things in the sky at night. Once you learn how to
focus the scope with the low power (30mm eyepiece) you can use the
higher power 18mm eyepiece.

Beginners tend to find there is a lot of empty sky with not much in it
and struggle when moving a astronomical scope with the inverted image.

There are plenty of nice bright planets not that far off the horizon
after dark too. Brighter objects have the advantage that you can tell
which way to move from the glare.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown