Radiation shielding for an unmanned lander on Io

Old March 23rd 07, 08:21 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Harvey

Default Radiation shielding for an unmanned lander on Io

Hi

I am studying for an astrophysics degree and am carrying out a short
theoretical study considering the radiation shielding problems
associated with placing an " unmanned lander" on the surface of the
Jovian moon Io. I know that the Io environment exhibits extremely
strong electromagnetic and magnetic fields so can someone advise me:-

a) where I could find a relevant tutorial on the subject of radiation
shielding in the scenario presented .
b) Suggest links regarding the sort of the radiation protection
techniques required to avoid disruption of the on-board electronic
intrumentation
c) Is there a type of shielding that can be used for both magnetic
field and electromagnetic fields or is it more effective to address
the shielding issue for each field separately?
d) The strength of the fields to be expected on Io
e) If post is in the wrong group - please recommend a more appropriate
location
Any advice on the shielding topic for the above scenario would be
really appreciated

Harvey
Old March 23rd 07, 08:42 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Jonathan Thornburg -- remove -animal to reply

Harvey wrote:
I am studying for an astrophysics degree and am carrying out a short
theoretical study considering the radiation shielding problems
associated with placing an " unmanned lander" on the surface of the
Jovian moon Io. I know that the Io environment exhibits extremely
strong electromagnetic and magnetic fields so can someone advise me:-

[[...]]
e) If post is in the wrong group - please recommend a more appropriate
location
Any advice on the shielding topic for the above scenario would be
really appreciated

I have seen discussion on this issue before in the newsgroup
sci.space.science, and I know a number of spacecraft-design people
regularly post to that newsgroup. You might try reposting your query
there...

ciao,

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg -- remove -animal to reply"
School of Mathematics, U of Southampton, England