CFI: Canonical List of Sci-Fi "Real" Astronauts

Old November 23rd 04, 11:02 PM
Darren J Longhorn

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 01:09:29 GMT, (Derek Lyons)
wrote:

Darren J Longhorn wrote:

I like that idea, but Footfall features a fictional spacecraft with
strap-on non-fictional spacecraft.
http://www.up-ship.com/apr/michael.htm

It would help if he read the book. The rifles from the BB's were used
as recoilless rifles that formed the propulsion/weapons systems for
auxiliary craft, not as turrets.

Original questions remain though. Do the shuttle pilots qualify?
Does the crew of Michael qualify?

Old November 24th 04, 12:05 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Ami Silberman" wrote in message
Major Tom -- from David Bowie's "Space Oddity", "Ashes to Ashes", and

Peter
Schilling's "Major Tom". Appears to have flown a MA-10b type mission with

solo space walk.

Well, are we sure Major Tom was American? May have been an ill-fated Soyuz
flight.

(and i've always wondered if Soyuz 1 influenced Bowie in this song.)

Old November 24th 04, 12:42 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Ami Silberman" wrote in message
I'm confining my contribution to half-remembered books set in the 20th
century.

Autopsy for a Cosmonaut by Jacob Hay -- extra Gemini mission with a

forensic
pathologist aboard to determine cause of death in an Almaz-like Soviet

space
station.

Chain of Chance by Stanislaw Lem -- former Astronaut turned Private
Investigator solves mysterious "crime" in Naples.

if it hasn't been mentioned before, the TV Show "Northern Exposure" had a
former Mercury Astronaut as a character.

I believe it was, and I believe he was in fact an Apollo astronaut.

Old November 24th 04, 03:53 AM
Pat Flannery

Ami Silberman wrote:

if it hasn't been mentioned before, the TV Show "Northern Exposure" had a
former Mercury Astronaut as a character.

Anybody gotten Jack Nicholson as Apollo LM crewmember Garrett Breedlove
from "Terms Of Endearment" and "The Evening Star" yet?

Pat

Old November 24th 04, 04:13 AM
Dante Scott

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:53:14 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Ami Silberman wrote:

if it hasn't been mentioned before, the TV Show "Northern Exposure" had a
former Mercury Astronaut as a character.

Anybody gotten Jack Nicholson as Apollo LM crewmember Garrett Breedlove
from "Terms Of Endearment" and "The Evening Star" yet?

Pat

Wasn't there also a Martin Sheen movie where he played an astronaut
who had walked on the moon and found some alien artifact? I can't
recall the movie or the character's name, but I think it had Christian
Slater in it too.

Dante
Old November 24th 04, 06:16 AM
Hugh McGuinness

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
"Ami Silberman" wrote in message
if it hasn't been mentioned before, the TV Show "Northern Exposure" had a
former Mercury Astronaut as a character.

I believe it was, and I believe he was in fact an Apollo astronaut.

In that case, how about Garrett Breedlove, played by Jack Nicholson, in
'Terms of Endearment'?

Do any of the space-going characters in the Turtledove
WW2-interrupted-by-aliens series count? I would think not since the
point of divergence is a bit far back.

How about the Goodies in their Big Bunny episode?
--
Hugh - to reply, don't c me
Old November 24th 04, 07:15 AM
Pat Flannery

Hugh McGuinness wrote:

In that case, how about Garrett Breedlove, played by Jack Nicholson,
in 'Terms of Endearment'?

All great minds think alike, I see ;-)

Pat

Old November 24th 04, 08:26 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Dante Scott
writes
wrote:

Ami Silberman wrote:

if it hasn't been mentioned before, the TV Show "Northern Exposure" had a
former Mercury Astronaut as a character.

Anybody gotten Jack Nicholson as Apollo LM crewmember Garrett Breedlove
from "Terms Of Endearment" and "The Evening Star" yet?

Pat

Wasn't there also a Martin Sheen movie where he played an astronaut
who had walked on the moon and found some alien artifact? I can't
recall the movie or the character's name, but I think it had Christian
Slater in it too.

Dante

"Beyond the Stars". Character name is Paul Andrews and the IMDB review
describes him as "first man on the moon", but I can't recall if that's
in the film.
Old November 24th 04, 02:00 PM

Where Are The Russians, by John Bentley...Manfred Luckner Galt, Cdr.,
Roy Smith, CMP, William Norlund, LMP........crewing Apollo 469, the
first American lunar landing attemp.
Old November 24th 04, 08:34 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , OM
om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org writes
...After exchanging a couple of e-mails with Mark Wade over an
addition I think needs to be made to the "Phantom Astronauts" page on
EA, I've suddenly come up with an idea for a "Canonical List" of said
Phantoms.

Gavin Lewis - ex-astronaut (Peter Graves)
Hardy Smith (John Ericson)

in "The Invaders" episode "Moonshot". Without watching it, I can't work
out the names of the other two astronauts.
I'm mildly surprised the network passed a story about dead astronauts in
1967.

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 August 1st 04 09:08 PM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Lunar 100 - April S&T phil Amateur Astronomy 39 March 19th 04 12:51 PM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 February 4th 04 06:48 PM