street lights

Old February 10th 05, 07:13 PM
spiral_72

Default street lights

Just out of curiousity..... I know I am not the only person fighting
with street lights. I live in the country with one street light on my
road directly in front of my house. Is there a way to turn it off while
I am observing? (without a shooting it) I have heard a rumor about
using a laser... Any truth to that?

Thanks again...

my astronomy page, info and pics at:
www.geocities.com/spiral_72/Spirals_page.html

Old February 10th 05, 07:31 PM
Mark

A cheap red laser that you can keep in the "on" position on a simple
tripod works well with a little care in aiming it and making sure the
tripod is stable. The sensor is usually above the light and on the
north side (at least in my neighborhood).

If you get tired of the laser thing, you can also spray paint the side
of the light fixture toward your property. The power company will
often do this for free upon request, and I have also HEARD that a spray
can on the end of a LONG pole will do the job if you just can't wait.
;-)

Mark

Old February 10th 05, 09:19 PM
Peter Bealo

Also,

"Rumor on the street" is that a well-placed BB also works. 22's are
effective, but anything larger overkill.

Not that I have ANY personal knowledge...

Peter
Sweet Hill Observatory

Old February 10th 05, 11:14 PM
vic20owner

Also heard that pointing a camera fash into your focuser and flashing in
the direction of the light's photocell will turn it off. There is
usually a 15 minute warmup delay, so you'd have to do it every 15
minutes. Not a bad choice since you are not causing damage to the light
and therefore are in a nice safe grey area
Old February 10th 05, 11:36 PM
Bill Tschumy

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:14:18 -0600, vic20owner wrote
(in article ):

Also heard that pointing a camera fash into your focuser and flashing in
the direction of the light's photocell will turn it off. There is
usually a 15 minute warmup delay, so you'd have to do it every 15
minutes. Not a bad choice since you are not causing damage to the light
and therefore are in a nice safe grey area

The light by my house only gets turned off for about 1-2 minutes by having a
light shined on it. I have resorted to using a red laser on a tripod with
slow motion controls. I do use a bright light to initially turn it off so I
can see to position the laser.

Old February 11th 05, 12:27 AM
Martin R. Howell

On 10 Feb 2005 11:13:35 -0800, spiral_72 wrote:

Just out of curiousity..... I know I am not the only person fighting
with street lights. I live in the country with one street light on my
road directly in front of my house. Is there a way to turn it off while
I am observing? (without a shooting it) I have heard a rumor about
using a laser... Any truth to that?

Disable the streetlight and the sky will cloud up and start to rain. You
have been warned.

--
Martin R. Howell
"Photographs From the Universe of Amateur Astronomy"
Old February 11th 05, 12:57 AM
Shawn

Martin R. Howell wrote:
On 10 Feb 2005 11:13:35 -0800, spiral_72 wrote:

Just out of curiousity..... I know I am not the only person fighting
with street lights. I live in the country with one street light on my
road directly in front of my house. Is there a way to turn it off while
I am observing? (without a shooting it) I have heard a rumor about
using a laser... Any truth to that?

Disable the streetlight and the sky will cloud up and start to rain. You
have been warned.

New eyepiece
Cloudy
Crappy Karma
Old February 11th 05, 01:24 PM
CNJ999

Martin R. Howell wrote:
On 10 Feb 2005 11:13:35 -0800, spiral_72 wrote:
Just out of curiousity..... I know I am not the only person fighting
with street lights. I live in the country with one street light on my
road directly in front of my house. Is there a way to turn it off

while
I am observing? (without a shooting it) I have heard a rumor about
using a laser... Any truth to that?

If you are serious in your question, just remember that you can be
legally held liable for any incident/accident that might occur in the
vicinity or in any way be associated with the disabling of that
streetlight and its security aspect(automobile
accident,robbery,personal injury). I am aware of several such cases.

JB

Old February 11th 05, 02:06 PM
Jax

"CNJ999" wrote in message
oups.com...

If you are serious in your question, just remember that you can be
legally held liable for any incident/accident that might occur in the
vicinity or in any way be associated with the disabling of that
streetlight and its security aspect(automobile
accident,robbery,personal injury). I am aware of several such cases.

JB

Please share some cases with the group.

Peace,
Jon

Old February 11th 05, 02:23 PM
spiral_72

Alright. I suppose my next project will be permenantly mounting a
strategically placed laser on the roof corner of my house with a power
supply and a wall switch.