analog setting circles

Old February 10th 05, 07:08 PM

Default analog setting circles

Can someone point me to a website that gives directions for using the
setting circles on my Eq mount? I tried to figger' it out for myself
with no luck.

Thanks!

my astronomy page, info and pics at:
www.geocities.com/spiral_72/Spirals_page.html

Old February 10th 05, 07:29 PM
Alexander Avtanski

Can someone point me to a website that gives directions for using the
setting circles on my Eq mount? I tried to figger' it out for myself
with no luck.

Thanks!

my astronomy page, info and pics at:
www.geocities.com/spiral_72/Spirals_page.html

Yes, there is such a site and it's called google.com. :-)

Seriously, just google for "using setting circles" and you will
find many sites on the topic.

- Alex
Old February 10th 05, 10:07 PM
Jeff Polston

Hmmm...I was going to point to my article at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~jeffpo/settingc.htm
but I see that the link below pretty much IS my material.

The bottom of the webpage listed below says something to the effect of
"some non-copyrighted material adapted" from my website. While I have no
problem with people using my material, sharing my material, even adapting it
to their own needs, isn't my article STILL copyrighted, even if I don't
explicitly say so? Just curious.

Jeff

"Michael K" none@ wrote in message

Can someone point me to a website that gives directions for using the
setting circles on my Eq mount? I tried to figger' it out for myself
with no luck.

Thanks!

my astronomy page, info and pics at:
www.geocities.com/spiral_72/Spirals_page.html

I found this to be more helpful than the instuction manual:

http://www.astro-tom.com/telescopes/setting_circles.htm

Old February 10th 05, 10:59 PM
Gaz

Jeff Polston wrote:

The bottom of the webpage listed below says something to the effect

of
"some non-copyrighted material adapted" from my website. While I

have no
problem with people using my material, sharing my material, even

adapting it
to their own needs, isn't my article STILL copyrighted, even if I

don't
explicitly say so? Just curious.

Jeff

\

Hi Jeff,

I don't know the legality of the situation, but I'd guess if you are
putting something in the public domain without expressly copyrighting
it then it's there to be used as people see fit. The guy should have
least given you a mention somewhere though IMHO....if only out of good
manners.

regards
Gaz

Old February 10th 05, 11:50 PM
OG

"Gaz" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jeff Polston wrote:

[...]

According to the Stanford Copyright and Fair Use website
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyrigh...er0/0-b.html#1

"Until 1989, a published work had to contain a valid copyright notice to
receive protection under the copyright laws. But this requirement is no
longer in force -- works first published after March 1, 1989 need not
include a copyright notice to gain protection under the law. "

Also
"But even though a copyright notice is not required, it's still
important to include one. When a work contains a valid notice, an
infringer cannot claim in court that he or she didn't know it was
copyrighted. This makes it much easier to win a copyright infringement
case and perhaps collect enough damages to make the cost of the case
worthwhile. And the very existence of a notice might discourage
infringement."

I suggest you contact Astro-Tom and get that site to acknowledge your
copyright correctly.

Old February 11th 05, 06:37 AM
Michael K

"Jeff Polston" wrote:

Hmmm...I was going to point to my article at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~jeffpo/settingc.htm
but I see that the link below pretty much IS my material.

The bottom of the webpage listed below says something to the effect of
"some non-copyrighted material adapted" from my website. While I have no
problem with people using my material, sharing my material, even adapting it
to their own needs, isn't my article STILL copyrighted, even if I don't
explicitly say so? Just curious.

Jeff

The act of composing an original work bestows the author with a
copyright. Astro-Tom does acknowledge your material at the bottom,
though in a semi left handed way.

If you really dont care if he uses it, contact him and ask for a
clearer more gracious acknowledgement.

Old February 11th 05, 02:30 PM
spiral_72

Well, if you don't mind, I found it very helpful and very well done. I
put a link to it on my website if ya don't mind. Actually I put a link
to the OTHER site but I will correct it ASAP.

Although the mount in the pictures has much nicer setting circles than
mine has.

Old February 11th 05, 05:03 PM
Anders Thulin

Jeff Polston wrote:

The bottom of the webpage listed below says something to the effect of
"some non-copyrighted material adapted" from my website. While I have no
problem with people using my material, sharing my material, even adapting it
to their own needs, isn't my article STILL copyrighted, even if I don't
explicitly say so?

It depends.

Assuming both web sites are in countries belonging to the Berne union,
it *is* still copyrighted. Berne Convention says so, and it also gives
you the right to be recognized as the author. Write and remind them.

However, if that other web site is not in the Berne Union, other conventions
may apply. The World Convention has the '© followed by year of first publication'
requirement. Outside the World Convention, there is very likely no protection.

So, it depends on where your server is, where that other server is, and
what copyright agreements may be in force between the countries. If they
are in the same country, national law applies, of course.

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath

Setting Circles Steven Ziemba Misc 6 July 13th 04 01:10 AM
Dob setting circles Tom Wales Amateur Astronomy 7 May 14th 04 05:29 PM
EQ-5 Mount - Setting Circles Advice Neil Morley Amateur Astronomy 4 October 20th 03 09:30 PM
EQ-5 Mount - Setting Circles Advice Neil Morley UK Astronomy 1 October 20th 03 09:30 PM
No AutoStar + how to use setting circles premal Amateur Astronomy 7 August 12th 03 10:07 AM