possible that the asteroid belt is the remnants of mars moon?

Old January 17th 09, 06:45 AM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro
S Claus

Default possible that the asteroid belt is the remnants of mars moon?

Hi all

I wanted to ask a question about the asteroid belt. There is some talk
in some circles that it is the remnants of a planet that exploded in
the distant past. Some people say that it would have been a relatively
small planet as supposedly all the asteroids assembled together equate
to a body about 1/10th the size of our moon.

Of course it could have been a larger body than that as it could be
that most of contents vaporized or dissipated into space as such small
pieces that we do not detect them (e.g. smaller than 1cm across). Or
it could have been a semi-gaseous planet with a solid core.

Anyway, there was this other possibility that came to mind, namely
whether it could be a remnant of mars moon? So perhaps Mars had a moon
in the past that exploded due to an impact or something?

I would like to know whether any research has been done on this
possibility?

Thanks in advance
Old January 17th 09, 12:32 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro
Ian Parker

On 17 Jan, 06:45, S Claus wrote:
[...]

No, the explanation of the asteroid belt is Jupiter. It is planetary
material that failed to coalese. Asteroids have NEVER been part of a
larger body. The gravitational field of Jupiter has prevented the
formation of a fifth rocy planet.

- Ian Parker
Old January 17th 09, 01:57 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro
Greg Neill[_6_]

S Claus wrote:
Hi all

I wanted to ask a question about the asteroid belt. There is some talk
in some circles that it is the remnants of a planet that exploded in
the distant past. Some people say that it would have been a relatively
small planet as supposedly all the asteroids assembled together equate
to a body about 1/10th the size of our moon.

Of course it could have been a larger body than that as it could be
that most of contents vaporized or dissipated into space as such small
pieces that we do not detect them (e.g. smaller than 1cm across). Or
it could have been a semi-gaseous planet with a solid core.

One would have to propose a plausible mechanism for having
a planet spontaneously explode. Where would the energy come
from?

It might be possible that a body there could be destroyed by
collision with another interloping body.

Anyway, there was this other possibility that came to mind, namely
whether it could be a remnant of mars moon? So perhaps Mars had a moon
in the past that exploded due to an impact or something?

I think that, given the odd shapes of Mars' moons, it is more
likely that they are captured asteroids rather thyan the other
way around.

I would like to know whether any research has been done on this
possibility?

Sure. Google: origin of mars' moons

Thanks in advance

Old January 17th 09, 04:57 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro
Hagar

"Ian Parker" wrote in message
On 17 Jan, 06:45, S Claus wrote:
[...]

That appears to be the present day theory. However, during the accretion
period of the Solar System, Jupiter wasn't always as huge as it is today,
thus exerting much gravitational influence on its immediate surroundings,
including the orbit of the possible 5th planet. That would imply that there
possibly was a proto planet, which subsequently was ripped asunder as
Jupiter grew larger and exerted more gravitationally influence upon its
celestial neighborhood.
I think there was another planet, which was hit by a planet "X", pretty much
like the one that struck the early Earth, an event which subsequently
created our Moon. Most of its mass would have scattered in all directions,
with perhaps 20% of its mass settling into the orbit of the present day
asteroid belt.
Ultimately, only a close analysis of scattered pieces of the Asteroid Belt
will reveal scientifically whether the debris is homogenous enough to
support the planetary postulation.

Old January 17th 09, 10:41 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro
Yousuf Khan

S Claus wrote:
Hi all

I wanted to ask a question about the asteroid belt. There is some talk
in some circles that it is the remnants of a planet that exploded in
the distant past. Some people say that it would have been a relatively
small planet as supposedly all the asteroids assembled together equate
to a body about 1/10th the size of our moon.

This is true.

Of course it could have been a larger body than that as it could be
that most of contents vaporized or dissipated into space as such small
pieces that we do not detect them (e.g. smaller than 1cm across). Or
it could have been a semi-gaseous planet with a solid core.

If the majority of it were just or gas, then we'd still be able to see
it, mainly as a shimmering haze. That amount of material is not
insignificant and should be detectable, whether it's the size of
boulders or mountains, or gas or dust.

Anyway, there was this other possibility that came to mind, namely
whether it could be a remnant of mars moon? So perhaps Mars had a moon
in the past that exploded due to an impact or something?

Then most of that would've gone into orbit around Mars as a ring.
Possibly the ring would be stabilized by Mars's two existing moons,
which are basically asteroids themselves.

I would like to know whether any research has been done on this
possibility?

Most of the research suggests that it was leftover material during the
Solar System's formation, which was not able to meld together into a
planet due to Jupiter's tidal pull. It's not coincidental that the
material is located mainly at the equilibrium point of Mars & Jupiter's
gravity (closer to Mars than Jupiter). This belt is almost like the
Sun's own Saturn rings, and the ring's shepherd moons are Jupiter and Mars.

Yousuf Khan
Old January 18th 09, 01:14 AM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro
John Curtis

On Jan 17, 5:41*pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
S Claus wrote:
[...]

The layer of dust on Eros (low gravity) hints at planetary
fragmentation. Dactyl and Linus will eventualy settle on Ida
and Kalliope, respectively. With the help
of Jupiter, most of the asteroids were directed towards the
cratering of Mars, Moon, and Mercury. John Curtis

Old January 18th 09, 01:25 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro
Ian Parker

On 17 Jan, 16:57, "Hagar" wrote:

[...]

support the planetary postulation.- Hide quoted text -

Jupiter formed first. Remember the Sun was contracting as it was
giving off material. I see no reason to dispute the generally held
theory. Jupiter BTW is the size it is because it managed to asccrete
the more volatile fractions of the Sun.

The difficulty for me is mech more in terms of extrasolar planets were
we get Jupiters within the orbit of Mercury.

I have nothing against examining the asteroids in more detail, indeed
I feel that in many ways NASA has neglected them as against planets.
The ISS is also a drain on resources.

- Ian Parker

Old January 18th 09, 01:34 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro
BradGuth

On Jan 17, 4:32*am, Ian Parker wrote:
On 17 Jan, 06:45, S Claus wrote:

[...]

Are you suggesting that we didn't get our fair share of Sirius B ?

~ BG
Old January 18th 09, 03:09 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro
John Curtis

On Jan 17, 8:57*am, "Greg Neill" wrote:
S Claus wrote:
Hi all

I wanted to ask a question about the asteroid belt. There is some talk
in some circles that it is the remnants of a planet that exploded in
the distant past. Some people say that it would have been a relatively
small planet as supposedly all the asteroids assembled together equate
to a body about 1/10th the size of our moon.

Of course it could have been a larger body than that as it could be
that most of contents vaporized or dissipated into space as such small
pieces that we do not detect them (e.g. smaller than 1cm across). Or
it could have been a semi-gaseous planet with a solid core.

One would have to propose a plausible mechanism for having
a planet spontaneously explode. *Where would the energy come
from?

The pressure inside the core of a gas giant can amount to
70 million atmospheres.
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Ju...ium_999 .html
Closer to the Sun, a gas giant would lose its hydrogen-helium
atmosphere leading to a violent isostatic rebound. John Curtis

It might be possible that a body there could be destroyed by
collision with another interloping body.

Anyway, there was this other possibility that came to mind, namely
whether it could be a remnant of mars moon? So perhaps Mars had a moon
in the past that exploded due to an impact or something?

I think that, given the odd shapes of Mars' moons, it is more
likely that they are captured asteroids rather thyan the other
way around.

I would like to know whether any research has been done on this
possibility?

Sure. *Google: origin of mars' moons

Thanks in advance- Hide quoted text -

Old January 18th 09, 04:25 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro
BradGuth

On Jan 18, 5:25*am, Ian Parker wrote:
On 17 Jan, 16:57, "Hagar" wrote:

[...]

Perhaps Jupiter once belonged to Sirius B, as a brown dwarf just like
the 50x Jupiter that's Sirius C.

Solar systems do acquire rogue items from time to time. Oddly we’ve
only recently obtained Cruithne, because nothing of our extensive cold-
war or that of our DARPA Apollo missions ever noticed such a large and
relatively nearby item that should have made quite a nifty radar blip,
in addition to its 0.15 albedo being entirely visible to astronomy of
that advanced space travel era.

~ Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth BG / “Guth Usenet”