As predicted - Black hole confirmed in Milky Way

Old December 12th 08, 10:34 PM posted to sci.astro
Bluuuue Rajah

Default As predicted - Black hole confirmed in Milky Way

Sjouke Burry wrote in
:

Bluuuue Rajah wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote in
:

Common World Inheritage Ambassador wrote:
http://math-science-tit-bits.blogspot.com/

They've been calling this location the Milky Way's central blackhole
for years now, I wasn't even aware that this location wasn't proven
until now.

This was just an independent confirmation of the original
observation, about which there was never any controversy.
Journalists demand confirmation, because they don't know how to
evaluate scientific claims without it, but scientists had long since
examined the observational method of the original group and found it
to be bulletproof.

The video data was shown on Nova last year, and it easily laid to
rest any uncertainty about the question. In it, a star in a high
eccentricity orbit is clearly seen making a very fast, tight turn,
through perihelion, in real time, around an invisible object.

By Occam's Razor, that's all that's needed to be absolutely certain
of it's existence, because no other counter explanation exists that
doesn't postulate a much more complex, but completely unwarranted,
explanation.

I looked for the video on Youtube, and I don't see it, so if anybody
else wants to try to dig it up, this would be a good place to post a
link. The video leaves absolutely no doubt at all, that the original
work was a brilliant and extraordinary work of analysis.

Via astro picture of the day,
found this link(32MBYTE MPEG)
http://www.eso.org/public/videos/eso...T2_P_MPEG1.mpg

That shows it, but I recall the Nova footage as having better resolution
and being in color. It makes me wonder if anybody is trying to do a
census of the core stars, and name them, just for their own sake. Just
imagine how the **** would hit the fan if that nearby star decided to
fall into an accretion disk. 'Course, it would take many millennia for
the **** to sterilize earth, after it hit the fan. I wonder if there's
any kind of friction operating among those orbiting stars.
Old December 13th 08, 07:52 AM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan

Bluuuue Rajah wrote:
Via astro picture of the day,
found this link(32MBYTE MPEG)
http://www.eso.org/public/videos/eso...T2_P_MPEG1.mpg

That shows it, but I recall the Nova footage as having better resolution
and being in color. It makes me wonder if anybody is trying to do a
census of the core stars, and name them, just for their own sake. Just
imagine how the **** would hit the fan if that nearby star decided to
fall into an accretion disk. 'Course, it would take many millennia for
the **** to sterilize earth, after it hit the fan. I wonder if there's
any kind of friction operating among those orbiting stars.

I think you're talking about the Nova episode called "Mystery of Milky
Way" from 2008? I have that episode here in 720p resolution. It's
probably too big to put into Youtube. However, PBS itself makes these
programs available for streaming direct from their own site.

NOVA | Monster of the Milky Way | Watch the Program | PBS
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/blackhole/program.html

Yousuf Khan
Old December 16th 08, 01:23 PM posted to sci.astro
Bluuuue Rajah

Yousuf Khan wrote in :

Bluuuue Rajah wrote:
Via astro picture of the day,
found this link(32MBYTE MPEG)
http://www.eso.org/public/videos/eso...CAST2/ESOCAST2

_P_MPEG1.mp

That shows it, but I recall the Nova footage as having better
resolution and being in color. It makes me wonder if anybody is
trying to do a census of the core stars, and name them, just for
their own sake. Just imagine how the **** would hit the fan if that
nearby star decided to fall into an accretion disk. 'Course, it
would take many millennia for the **** to sterilize earth, after it
hit the fan. I wonder if there's any kind of friction operating
among those orbiting stars.

I think you're talking about the Nova episode called "Mystery of Milky
Way" from 2008? I have that episode here in 720p resolution. It's
probably too big to put into Youtube. However, PBS itself makes these
programs available for streaming direct from their own site.

NOVA | Monster of the Milky Way | Watch the Program | PBS
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/blackhole/program.html

Rather than poste the whole episode on Youtube, you should just post the
video of the stars moving in the center of the galaxy.
Old December 16th 08, 11:12 PM posted to sci.astro
Steve Willner

In article ,
Bluuuue Rajah Bluuuuue@Rajah. writes:
Just
imagine how the **** would hit the fan if that nearby star decided to
fall into an accretion disk. 'Course, it would take many millennia for
the **** to sterilize earth...

"Forever" is more like it. The Galactic center is a long way away,
and a mere few stars falling in to an accretion disk is unlikely to
have any effect.

I wonder if there's any kind of friction operating among those
orbiting stars.

Dynamical friction. The article at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamical_friction
is not bad.