Mars Rover track colours....

Old February 10th 05, 08:45 AM
Stuart Chapman

Default Mars Rover track colours....

Hi all....

I was just taking a look at one of the most recently posted panoramas
from the Spirit rover:

http://tinyurl.com/65n83

I'm wondering about the sharp contrast of Spirit's track as compared to
the 'virgin' surface.

On Earth, this would suggest to me that the soil is damp, which wouldn't
apply on Mars.

Anyone know of mechanisms on Mars for this contrast? Could it be that
the dirt lightens in colour on UV exposure? Other ideas? Any guesses how
long the tracks would remain, ignoring wind?

Cheers, Stupot
Old February 11th 05, 01:44 PM
Ed

"Stuart Chapman" wrote:

I'm wondering about the sharp contrast of Spirit's track as compared
to the 'virgin' surface.

The sharper the tracks, the finer the soil. Fine-grained material can
act like a fluid.

Any guesses how long the tracks would remain, ignoring wind?

Millions of years, ignoring wind. Of course, you can't ignore wind on
Mars, so they will likely only last months.

Old February 12th 05, 05:13 AM
Stuart Chapman

Ed wrote:
"Stuart Chapman" wrote:

I'm wondering about the sharp contrast of Spirit's track as compared
to the 'virgin' surface.

The sharper the tracks, the finer the soil. Fine-grained material can
act like a fluid.

I understand that, but I'm wondering about the contrast in colour.

Any guesses how long the tracks would remain, ignoring wind?

Millions of years, ignoring wind. Of course, you can't ignore wind on
Mars, so they will likely only last months.

Yes, but how long would the contrast in colour remain.

Stupot