MOON DOES NOT ROTATE ?????

Old July 17th 05, 01:55 AM
Benzopia Topia

Default MOON DOES NOT ROTATE ?????

Is it true that the moon does not rotate on its axis ?? I have heard
it is the only body in our solar system that does not. My question is ,
WHY WHY OH WHY ???? Thank you.

Old July 17th 05, 02:12 AM
Wally Anglesea™

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 20:55:23 -0400, (Benzopia
Topia) wrote:

Is it true that the moon does not rotate on its axis ?? I have heard
it is the only body in our solar system that does not. My question is ,
WHY WHY OH WHY ???? Thank you.

The Moon rotates about it's axis. It rotation matches the period of
it's orbit around the Earth.

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/que...php?number=637

as for other moons doing this:

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/que...php?number=142

Almost all moons in the Solar System keep one face pointed toward their planet.
(The only exception we know of is Hyperion, a moon of Saturn.)
This tells us it's probably not a coincidence, that there is probably a
reason for this to happen, a physical process that happens to most moons to slow their rotation.

Who told you otherwise? They need an education.

--

http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese...Astronomy.html

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down"
Old July 17th 05, 02:24 AM
Mark Earnest

"Benzopia Topia" wrote in message
Is it true that the moon does not rotate on its axis ?? I have heard
it is the only body in our solar system that does not. My question is ,
WHY WHY OH WHY ???? Thank you.

Yes it is true, the Moon does not rotate.
If you are looking from the point of view of the Earth.
But from the point of view of the rest of the universe, it indeed does
rotate.

Old July 17th 05, 02:54 AM
Starlord

Who ever told you that doesn't know anything. It does rotate, at the very
same rate that it goes around the earth, and because of this, we see the
same side all the time. Anyone who says it doesn't rotate didn't study
astronomy while they where in school because it's basic 4th grade teaching.

Old July 17th 05, 03:31 AM
winglesswonder03

"Starlord" wrote in message
Who ever told you that doesn't know anything. It does rotate, at the very
same rate that it goes around the earth, and because of this, we see the
same side all the time. Anyone who says it doesn't rotate didn't study
astronomy while they where in school because it's basic 4th grade

teaching.

"Benzopia Topia" wrote in message
Is it true that the moon does not rotate on its axis ?? I have heard
it is the only body in our solar system that does not. My question is ,
WHY WHY OH WHY ???? Thank you.

It must be a counter-clockwise rotation I assume? I also find it more than

a coincidence that during a total eclipse, it perfectly blots out the
diameter of the sun. Yes, my friends, I do indeed believe in a Creator.

Old July 17th 05, 07:18 AM
Double-A

Benzopia Topia wrote:
Is it true that the moon does not rotate on its axis ?? I have heard
it is the only body in our solar system that does not. My question is ,
WHY WHY OH WHY ???? Thank you.

It all depends on how you look at it.

Double-A

Old July 17th 05, 08:30 AM
Wally Anglesea™

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 22:31:32 -0400, "winglesswonder03"
wrote:

"Starlord" wrote in message
Who ever told you that doesn't know anything. It does rotate, at the very
same rate that it goes around the earth, and because of this, we see the
same side all the time. Anyone who says it doesn't rotate didn't study
astronomy while they where in school because it's basic 4th grade

teaching.

"Benzopia Topia" wrote in message
Is it true that the moon does not rotate on its axis ?? I have heard
it is the only body in our solar system that does not. My question is ,
WHY WHY OH WHY ???? Thank you.

It must be a counter-clockwise rotation I assume? I also find it more than

a coincidence that during a total eclipse, it perfectly blots out the
diameter of the sun. Yes, my friends, I do indeed believe in a Creator.

If *THAT'S* why you believe, then you are mistaken.

1: it's NOT perfect (and you really should look up the word *annular*
2: in the past, it was marginally closer
3: Eclipses happen on other planets too. It's unlikely that there are
any worshippers on Jupiter.

Old July 17th 05, 08:38 AM
Zarkovic

I also find it more than
a coincidence that during a total eclipse, it perfectly blots out the
diameter of the sun. Yes, my friends, I do indeed believe in a Creator.

It doesn't "perfectly" (i.e. 100%) block out the diameter of the Sun during
the solar eclipse. In fact, our Moon recedes from Earth about 4 cm each
year. This fact has been confirmed in many ways, such as the very accurate
measured distances from Earth and the mirrors astronauts left on the Moon in
the 60's. Therefore, your definition of perfect eclipse can not stand from a
year to a year and it's just your and our natural visual inability to detect
such small changes on such great distances. So it's either that or those
Moon people are screwing with us. And for f's sake, the Moon does rotate,
every object in nature does in order to be more stable.

Old July 17th 05, 08:42 AM
Zarkovic

"Double-A" wrote in message
oups.com...

Benzopia Topia wrote:
Is it true that the moon does not rotate on its axis ?? I have heard
it is the only body in our solar system that does not. My question is ,
WHY WHY OH WHY ???? Thank you.

It all depends on how you look at it.

Double-A

Double A, if you are referring to the frame of reference, you are somewhat
correct. However, I remember reading in my intro astronomy book that the
Moon's face is not the same face we see throughout the whole year, and if
you were to observe the Moon for a whole year, you'd notice that, even
without the scope.

Old July 17th 05, 08:59 AM
Starlord

As far as the eclipse goes, it was not always that way, and there will come
a time when it will not be such. At one time the moon was closer to the
earth and it totaly blocked the sun during the eclipse and as it's slowly
moving outward still, it'll come to a point where there will be more sun and
less moon at that time, ofcouse by that time the sun will be getting bigger
and the earth will be a hell of a lot hotter, oh say in about 2 billion
years.

The rest of your statement is yours, not mine.

o.verio.net...

Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla UK Astronomy 11 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
The apollo faq the inquirer Astronomy Misc 11 April 22nd 04 06:23 AM
significant addition to section 25 of the faq heat UK Astronomy 1 April 15th 04 01:20 AM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones Misc 8 February 4th 04 06:48 PM