URANUS AND EPICENTERS OF EARTHQUAKES

Old September 14th 03, 10:57 PM
OG

"Martin" wrote in message

"OG" wrote in
For any randomly chosen place what proportion of the time is Uranus
not within 15 degrees of the meridian and/or horizon?

When you say 15 degrees what do you mean?

15 deg in right ascension from the meridian/horizon
15 deg in ecliptic from meridian/horizon
15 deg altitude from horizon

Each requires a differnt mathematical approach and comes up with differnt
frequencies.

Martin

That's fine - any one of those will be welcome. Just so we have a figure
that we can judge against the observed frequency. We can then go back and
check the results against C Ezekwe's proposition.

Owen

Old September 15th 03, 01:49 AM
Benoit Morrissette

On 12 Sep 2003 16:51:28 -0700, (C. Ezekwe) wrote:

Early last century, some geophysicists were said to have noticed that
Uranus was often located within 15 degrees of meridians of epicenters
in the most powerful earthquakes, far more frequently than chance
would allow.

This hint spurred me to conduct a study into records of later
earthquakes, especially, those of magnitude 6.5 (in the Richter scale)
and above. My research has indicated that, Uranus is also frequently
located within 15 degrees of the celestial horizon of epicenters, in
earthquakes of strong magnitude.

Using the publications of USGS NEIC, I have prepared A statistical
analysis at:
HTTP://WWW.GEOCITIES.COM/CEZASTRON/2003stron.htm
The analysis shows that in the twenty cases of earthquakes of the
6.5-and-greater magnitude -- covering the period January 1 to June 16,
2003 -- Uranus featured, in 13 occasions, within 15 degrees of the
horizon or meridian.

Sorry, pure coincidence...

There are so many bodies in the Solar System and so many earthquakes on Earth
that if you look long enough, you will always find coincidences like this one.

Besides, 13 occurences in 20 events is not very convincing, statisticaly
speaking...

Good night!

Benoît Morrissette

Old September 15th 03, 03:17 AM
Odysseus

OG wrote:

I'm sorry, I was hoping for a number. The original proposition is that
"Uranus is near the horizon/meridian more often than expected". Unless you
or the OP can calculate the proportion of time that uranus is near the
horizon, then how do we know if the figures are significant?

No disagreement he IIANM not only do we need to know the expected
value, but also something about the distribution, e.g. its variance.
I was just pointing out that it's not at all a straightforward matter
to characterize it, particularly since the two 'parameters' are not independent.

--
Odysseus

Old September 15th 03, 09:38 AM
C. Ezekwe

Martin wrote in message . ..
"OG" wrote in
:

"C. Ezekwe" wrote in message
om...
Early last century, some geophysicists were said to have noticed that
Uranus was often located within 15 degrees of meridians of epicenters
in the most powerful earthquakes, far more frequently than chance
would allow.

What is the frequency you would expect?

For any randomly chosen place what proportion of the time is Uranus
not within 15 degrees of the meridian and/or horizon?

Uranus (like all planets) stays relatively close to the ecliptic, so
its not as though it wanders aimlessly over the sky.

Have you done a similar study for other planets?

I mean
15 deg in right ascension from the meridian/horizon

--
C. Ezekwe

Do let us know.

Old September 15th 03, 09:54 AM
C. Ezekwe

ANSWERS
What is the frequency you would expect?

ANSWER: I EXPECT ANY PLANET TO STAY WITHIN 15 DEGREES 33.33% OF THE
TIME(BY MATH CALCULATION).

For any randomly chosen place what proportion of the time is Uranus
not within 15 degrees of the meridian and/or horizon?

ANSWER: MOST OF THE TIME

Uranus (like all planets) stays relatively close to the ecliptic, so
its not as though it wanders aimlessly over the sky.

ANSWER: YES

Have you done a similar study for other planets?

ANSWER: YES, SOME PLANETS, LIKE PLUTO, STAY MORE 33.33% WITHIN THAT
RANGE, BUT NOT CLOSE ENOUGH TO THE FREQUENCY OF THAT OF URANUS'

--
C. Ezekwe

Martin wrote in message . ..
"OG" wrote in