Question: Different Size and redish tent of the Moon

Old September 9th 03, 05:55 AM
Darrell

Default Question: Different Size and redish tent of the Moon

Can someone explain why at certain times the Moon looks redish in color, low
on the horizon, and appears to be much larger?

Does the moon seem larger because it is actually closer?

I was thinking that this may be the reason, but I can imagine the moving
away to appear normal size again in just a few hours or less.

And what about the redish tent?

I understand that during a total lunar eclipse, the Moon remains visible by
sunlight refracted through the Earth's atmosphere. And that the path of
lower frequency red light is bent enough to shine on the Moon. However this
isn't an eclipse of any kind (that I know of anyway) , so can someone
explain what is happening when the Moon is large and red?

Thanks,

D-

Old September 9th 03, 06:22 AM
Darrell

I think J. Scott Miller answered my question in the moon 9/8/03 11:36 PM
(Oops...Reddish, not Redish)

Thanks,

D-

Old September 9th 03, 06:46 AM
Bonnie Granat

"Darrell" wrote in message
Can someone explain why at certain times the Moon looks redish in color,

low
on the horizon, and appears to be much larger?

I'm not sure, but it's probably the same cause of sunset colors.

Does the moon seem larger because it is actually closer?

Yes.

I was thinking that this may be the reason, but I can imagine the moving
away to appear normal size again in just a few hours or less.

It only takes 24 hours for it to orbit the earth. Its distance can vary up
to 20,000 miles or so from closest to farthest in its orbit.

And what about the redish tent?

I understand that during a total lunar eclipse, the Moon remains visible

by
sunlight refracted through the Earth's atmosphere. And that the path of
lower frequency red light is bent enough to shine on the Moon. However

this
isn't an eclipse of any kind (that I know of anyway) , so can someone
explain what is happening when the Moon is large and red?

Same reason as the red sky at sunset, I should think.

--
___________________________
Bonnie Granat

Old September 9th 03, 06:47 AM
Bonnie Granat

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...oon+size+orbit

Old September 9th 03, 07:06 AM
a f

Well, the reddish color is pollution. Especially if there is a fire in your
state and you are downwind. Or are around a city or a suburb and have some
pollution. The second question as to why it is to big is due to a
phenomenon called the famous Moon Illusion.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question491.htm

That's a good link for you. Personally I think it is a "glitch in the
Matrix" Afterall, why can a person make more detail out? Oh no, I
think I just started a new discussion....

Old September 9th 03, 07:12 AM
David Knisely

Hi there Darrel. You posted:

Can someone explain why at certain times the Moon looks redish in color, low
on the horizon, and appears to be much larger?

The moon appears more reddish when it is low towards the horizon due the the
Earth's atmosphere. It reddens the moonlight, scattering the shorter
wavelengths more away from your viewing direction but allowing the longer
(redder) wavelengths to come to you more directly. However, the true angular
size of the moon is actually just a tiny bit *less* when it is low on the
horizon than it is when it is nearly overhead, because we are just a little
farther away from it when it is on the horizon. The "enlarging" effect you
refer to is known as "the Moon Illusion", and is just that, a mere illusion.
When the moon is low, you can see other objects to compare it to, but when it
is overhead, there is little next to it for comparison. It is this difference
which makes the moon seem to be a little larger towards the horizon that it
does when it is overhead, even though it isn't all that much different in true
angular size. Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 27-Aug. 1st, 2003, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old September 9th 03, 07:39 AM
Darrell

"Bonnie Granat" wrote in message

It only takes 24 hours for it to orbit the earth. Its distance can vary up
to 20,000 miles or so from closest to farthest in its orbit.

The Moon orbits the Earth at an average distance of about 384,400
kilometers. Its orbit is slightly elliptical so its distance from Earth
varies by as much as six percent. The sidereal period of the Moon is
27.32166 days. That is, the Moon takes 27.32166 days to orbit the Earth and
return to the same place among the stars. From an Earth based perspective,
the Moon moves about 13 degrees per day. The 24 hours that you are thinking
must be the Earth's rotation.

Old September 9th 03, 06:44 PM
David G. Nagel

The large appearance of the moon when it is low on the horizon is pure
optical illusion. If you look through a window at moon rise and make a
mark then as the moon rises make another mark as it clears the previous
mark you will see that it does not change size. As to the reddish tint
that is caused by air pollution, pure and simple. This condition has
exhausted for as long as the moon has exhisted. Today the pollution is
mostly caused by man but nature contributes is share also.

Dave Nagel