I hate light polution!!!

Old September 12th 03, 11:19 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

I use to use the telescope at the Griffin observatory with all the
lights,and smog of LA. (no big problem) Griffin park is a 500 ft
hill,and LA has hills all around(like Boston) I would think moon light
is much worse than city lights,when its full. Someday mankind will have
free and very safe trips to the moon,and it will be only 10 hours
away,to look though a telescope 2 billion time more powerful than todays
Hubble. We could have been 37 years closer to this dream "If NASA stayed
with trips to the moon. Bert

Old September 13th 03, 06:00 AM
Martin

(G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote in news:25133-3F624681-
:

I use to use the telescope at the Griffin observatory with all the
lights,and smog of LA. (no big problem) Griffin park is a 500 ft
hill,and LA has hills all around(like Boston) I would think moon light
is much worse than city lights,when its full.

Then why did the residents of cities plunged into the big blackout last
month remark that they could see more stars than ever - when there was a
full moon in the sky?
http://www.darksky.org/~ida/links/aug14tdtlwo.html

Full moons always have the same brightness while light pollution get worse
with time.

Someday mankind will have
free and very safe trips to the moon,and it will be only 10 hours
away,to look though a telescope 2 billion time more powerful than todays
Hubble. We could have been 37 years closer to this dream "If NASA stayed
with trips to the moon. Bert

That is still no excuse for allowing uncontrolled spread of light
pollution. It costs us energy, and the environment. Also it is costing us
the natural heritage of the night sky that inspired our space ventures in
the first
place. To leave the earth's sky behind - junked, while we are forced to
_pay_ to see a dark sky from the moon or elsewhere is shirking our
responsibility here on earth.

Martin Lewicki

Old September 13th 03, 03:49 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Martin and Nate This post was started by Nate from the Boston area. My
main point was to bring out that LA like Boston has hills. Griffin'
telescope is on top of a hill. With the lights of the city of LA seeing
Saturn,and Jupiter was no problem. So my advice to Nate is go to the top
of Powder Horn hill (that's in Chelsea) and try that spot.
Massachusetts has great mountains,so take Rt 90 (Mass Pike?,and in two
hours you are in Easthampton. Its an easy ride up Sugar Loaf MT. No big
cities around and you will find a good building up there to block the
wind. Dress warm. If Nate you go email me,for my daughter Sheri lives
at the foot of that mountain,and you could drop by and say "hello"
Bert