New Horizons "stellar" course?

Old January 5th 19, 08:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Default New Horizons "stellar" course?

wrote:
On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 1:03:16 PM UTC-5, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
JBI wrote:
On 1/5/19 1:23 AM,
wrote:
On Friday, January 4, 2019 at 8:51:04 AM UTC-5, JBI wrote:
Cannot find this information anywhere, but curious where New Horizons
would be heading in the long term, in other words what star? And also
are there any more visits to other objects planned besides the latest?
Thank you.
It seems to be heading in the general direction of Xi 1,2 Sagittarii,
less than a degree to the east of those stars, perhaps.
Thank you, the information I was looking for.

So you believe blindly everything that you read?

Maybe you have a better estimation of where this spacecraft is headed?

Certainly. But it does not appear to have a name, or a designation
(apparently it is not even in the Hipparcos Catalogue).

If it helps, it is a star belonging to Sgr, color index (B−V) 0.98
(something between spectral class K0V and M0V, so I guess a main sequence
red dwarf), that has the equatorial coordinates (J2000.0-based)
α = 18h59m12.86s and δ = −20°49'35.1" (J2000.0-based; figures from Stellarium).

This is using your assumption, which may be wrong, that the heading of NH
has only insignificantly changed since the Pluto flyby.

Pluto has α = 18h59m16.36s and δ = −20°45'26.9" then (∆ ≈ 0°4'12.88"), while
ξ1 Sgr, which of the two ξ’s is closest on the celestial sphere to Pluto,
has α = 18h57m20.48s and δ = −20°39'23.0" (∆ ≈ 0°27'46.07").

(Hint: It will exit the Kuiper Belt in a few years. And keep going.)

Maybe. That depends on *several* *unknowns*.

--
PointedEars

Twitter: @PointedEars2
Old January 5th 19, 09:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

wrote:
On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 4:40:03 PM UTC-5, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
wrote:
Maybe you have a better estimation of where this spacecraft is headed?

Certainly. But it does not appear to have a name, or a designation
(apparently it is not even in the Hipparcos Catalogue).

If it helps, it is a star belonging to Sgr, color index (B−V) 0.98
(something between spectral class K0V and M0V, so I guess a main sequence
red dwarf), that has the equatorial coordinates (J2000.0-based)
α = 18h59m12.86s and δ = −20°49'35.1" (J2000.0-based; figures from Stellarium).

This is using your assumption, which may be wrong, that the heading of NH
has only insignificantly changed since the Pluto flyby.

Pluto has α = 18h59m16.36s and δ = −20°45'26.9" then (∆ ≈ 0°4'12.88"), while
ξ1 Sgr, which of the two ξ’s is closest on the celestial sphere to Pluto,
has α = 18h57m20.48s and δ = −20°39'23.0" (∆ ≈ 0°27'46.07").

IOW, in the general direction of Xi 1,2 Sagittarii, a little bit east.

Too imprecise. Consider the distances. In the worst case, you can fit
approximately 7 × 10¹² potential planetary systems like the Sol System, each
with at least one star, into the volume of the cone between those directions.

(Hint: It will exit the Kuiper Belt in a few years. And keep going.)

Maybe. That depends on *several* *unknowns*.

There isn't enough fuel on board to keep it from leaving the Kuiper Belt
and heading out into interstellar space, never to return. Unless, it were to hit something heavy enough to stop it.

Repeating something which *might* be true does not *make* it true either.

--
PointedEars

Twitter: @PointedEars2
Old January 5th 19, 10:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 3:53:02 PM UTC-5, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

There was an unofficial crowdfunding campaign for a “Golden Record 2.0”
for New Horizons, but it failed to meet its goal in time:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/31060842/one-earth-message-a-digital-voyager-golden-record/faqs

Darn! We lost our opportunity to "Send more Chuck Berry."

Old January 5th 19, 10:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

The third stages for New Horizons, Pioneer 10, Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 are also on Sun-escape trajectories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inters...e#Probe_debris

Also the de-spin weights for New Horizon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...pulsion_stages

Old January 5th 19, 11:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 9:12:15 PM UTC, wrote:
On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 3:53:02 PM UTC-5, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

There was an unofficial crowdfunding campaign for a “Golden Record 2.0”
for New Horizons, but it failed to meet its goal in time:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/31060842/one-earth-message-a-digital-voyager-golden-record/faqs

Darn! We lost our opportunity to "Send more Chuck Berry."

I am sure that if another civilization on Earth got their hands on the information sent on Voyager in the 70's, they would wonder how we survived as a society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wGFJd3j3ds

One daily rotation can be split into two - the Sun remains in view from sunrise to sunset and the stars are in view from sunset to sunrise. One Polar day/night cycle can also be split in two, 6 months of the Sun in view from Polar sunrise to sunset and 6 months of the stars in view from sunset to sunrise.

Is it not bad enough that cretins disgrace themselves here on Earth that they find it necessary to send pseudo-intellectual nonsense into space.

Golden records indeed !, the most astronomically illiterate society the world has ever known however well they do with engineering.
Old January 5th 19, 11:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

wrote:
On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 1:03:16 PM UTC-5, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
JBI wrote:
On 1/5/19 1:23 AM,
wrote:
[...]

There isn't enough fuel on board to keep it from leaving the Kuiper Belt and heading out into interstellar space, never to return. Unless, it were to hit something heavy enough to stop it. But as you said, "space is big."
Old January 5th 19, 11:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 5:00:17 PM UTC-5, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 9:12:15 PM UTC, wrote:
On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 3:53:02 PM UTC-5, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

There was an unofficial crowdfunding campaign for a “Golden Record 2.0”
for New Horizons, but it failed to meet its goal in time:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/31060842/one-earth-message-a-digital-voyager-golden-record/faqs

Darn! We lost our opportunity to "Send more Chuck Berry."

I am sure that if another civilization on Earth got their hands on the information sent on Voyager in the 70's, they would wonder how we survived as a society.

One thing working in our favor is that none of YOUR posts made it onto the V'ger records.
Old January 5th 19, 11:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 19:59:36 +0100, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
wrote:

Sorry, I am not playing your game.

That's what I figured. You got nothing.
Old January 6th 19, 11:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
JBI

On 1/5/19 11:09 AM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
JBI wrote:
On 1/5/19 1:23 AM, wrote:
On Friday, January 4, 2019 at 8:51:04 AM UTC-5, JBI wrote:
Cannot find this information anywhere, but curious where New Horizons
would be heading in the long term, in other words what star? And also
are there any more visits to other objects planned besides the latest?
Thank you.
It seems to be heading in the general direction of Xi 1,2 Sagittarii, less than a degree to the east of those stars, perhaps.

Thank you, the information I was looking for.

So you believe blindly everything that you read?

No, I actually confirmed this same information after my initial post and
the reply here. I was waiting for a legitimate reply before I
responded, not something rude or condescending like yours. The idea was
to get a *ballpark* figure to share interesting calculations, such as
travel time to, say, that star, assuming no course or speed changes,
which would be highly unlikely of course.

Most non-astronomers don't have any idea of stellar distances and, if
there is interest, I like to express those distances in terms they can
understand. Someone was asking me where the probe was headed after its
current studies and it wasn't easy to find the answer. Sometimes Google
provides so many hits that it doesn't help in finding a fast answer
which, of course, you already knew I'm sure by the nature of your
initial response. The first place I checked was the probe site itself
and was unable to find it; from there other sources until I myself found
the answer on Wikipedia, then confirmed here and then a few more
sources. Again, the idea was *ballpark* assuming hypothetically no
changes, not precision.

BTW, any more snide remarks, I simply won't respond because I don't have
time to waste.