Asteroid-Smashing Space Probes Set for Cosmic Crash in 2022

Old March 22nd 13, 05:00 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

Default Asteroid-Smashing Space Probes Set for Cosmic Crash in 2022

I have mixed feelings about this venture.
Man can sometimes/manytimes make things worse,
such as starting stupid unnecessary wars.
Can't we learn from some of our [big] mistakes?

Shouldn't we spend time trying [practicing] to Divert asteroids,
not trying to do this -
smashing into it, just to see what's inside?

http://www.space.com/20341-asteroid-...raft-2022.html

marc
Old March 22nd 13, 05:31 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Mar 22, 10:00*am, wrote:
I have mixed feelings about this venture.
Man can sometimes/manytimes make things worse,
such as starting stupid unnecessary wars.
Can't we learn from some of our [big] mistakes?

Shouldn't we spend time trying [practicing] to Divert asteroids,
not trying to do this -
smashing into it, just to see what's inside?

http://www.space.com/20341-asteroid-...raft-2022.html

marc

They could practice on our second moon without any chance of their
screw-ups having any negative consequences for us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3753_Cruithne

Or they could just start using TBMs on our paramagnetic moon, whereas
live televised science and otherwise covering most of everything else,
we could all keep a close eye on whatever's going on.

Old March 26th 13, 09:47 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Mar 22, 10:00*am, wrote:
I have mixed feelings about this venture.
Man can sometimes/manytimes make things worse,
such as starting stupid unnecessary wars.
Can't we learn from some of our [big] mistakes?

Shouldn't we spend time trying [practicing] to Divert asteroids,
not trying to do this -
smashing into it, just to see what's inside?

http://www.space.com/20341-asteroid-...raft-2022.html

marc

There's no such thing as zero risk. There are viable alternatives w/
risk, as to otherwise just sitting here and hoping for the best.

Asteroid diverting should not be all that insurmountable, as long as
its final approach is not too nearby to start off with.