Diamonds inside of Uranus

Old January 20th 10, 08:55 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default Diamonds inside of Uranus

Diamond seas, diamond icebergs, a whole ****load of diamonds:
http://www.phenomenica.com/2010/01/o...-diamonds.html

Pat
Old January 22nd 10, 01:11 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
David Spain

Um, something I don't understand.

For this phenomena you need to be at: 11 million ATMs and
50,000 degress (what? K? C? F?, article doesn't say).

Better link resolves this question, it's K:

https://newsline.llnl.gov/_rev02/lab...09-labNews.php

And if that link makes your tin hat tingle you can go directly
to the paper at

http://www.nature.com/nphys/journal/...nphys1438.html

but it'll cost you $18 to read beyond the abstract.

Yeah, internet is soo much faster for getting me stuff I have
to pay to read that I used to take a day or two to find
at my university's library for free...

It's a rich man's utopia....

Dave
Old January 22nd 10, 01:19 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_675_]

"David Spain" wrote in message
Um, something I don't understand.

For this phenomena you need to be at: 11 million ATMs and
50,000 degress (what? K? C? F?, article doesn't say).

Better link resolves this question, it's K:

At that temp, does it really matter? :-)

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old January 22nd 10, 02:28 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
David Spain

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" writes:

At that temp, does it really matter? :-)

You have a point. It's not like I'm going to try to
melt some diamond in the kitchen oven tonight.

:-)

Plus getting to 50,000 K inside a gas giant w/o convection
may be a possibility suggested in the article, but it
seems a stretch to me.

Wasn't it A.C. Clarke that suggested the possibility of
diamonds as gas giant planetary cores in his book 2010?
I seem to remember reading something about those 'monolithic'
aliens and the new and improved David Bowman knowing
the core of Jupiter was a diamond the size of the Earth?

Dave
Old January 22nd 10, 03:09 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_676_]

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" writes:

At that temp, does it really matter? :-)

You have a point. It's not like I'm going to try to
melt some diamond in the kitchen oven tonight.

:-)

It's sorta like saying it's -40 out and someone asking if that's F or C. :-)

Plus getting to 50,000 K inside a gas giant w/o convection
may be a possibility suggested in the article, but it
seems a stretch to me.

Wasn't it A.C. Clarke that suggested the possibility of
diamonds as gas giant planetary cores in his book 2010?
I seem to remember reading something about those 'monolithic'
aliens and the new and improved David Bowman knowing
the core of Jupiter was a diamond the size of the Earth?

Ayup, and this became a large plot point in 2061.

Dave

Old January 22nd 10, 05:59 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

David Spain wrote:
You have a point. It's not like I'm going to try to
melt some diamond in the kitchen oven tonight.

Get it hot enough in the presence of oxygen, and it will burn, not melt,
and all you'll have for your trouble is some CO2.

Pat
Old January 22nd 10, 06:05 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
Wasn't it A.C. Clarke that suggested the possibility of
diamonds as gas giant planetary cores in his book 2010?
I seem to remember reading something about those 'monolithic'
aliens and the new and improved David Bowman knowing
the core of Jupiter was a diamond the size of the Earth?

Ayup, and this became a large plot point in 2061.

For someone who once said he didn't write sequels because he "never
returns to the scene of the crime" he seems to have learned how to write
them in relation to one particular book. ;-)
I'd have to check up on this to see if it's still current theory, but
way back in the 1960's they thought that white dwarf stars eventually
burned out and turned into big balls of diamond.

Pat
Old January 22nd 10, 06:50 AM posted to sci.space.policy
John Park

Pat Flannery ) writes:
David Spain wrote:
You have a point. It's not like I'm going to try to
melt some diamond in the kitchen oven tonight.

Get it hot enough in the presence of oxygen, and it will burn, not melt,
and all you'll have for your trouble is some CO2.

Get it hot enough in the absence of oxygen, and it may turn into
graphite, which is the more stable form at normal pressure. (But perhaps
beyond the reach of kitchen technology.)

--John Park