United States Falling Behind EVERYONE In Physics, Science, Rockets,EVERYTHING.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 8th 08, 07:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.chem
Damon Hill[_3_]

Default United States Falling Behind EVERYONE In Physics, Science, Rockets, EVERYTHING.

Ian Parker wrote in

oups.com:

I think the US is falling behind both Europe and Asia. I
think there are a number of reasons.

1) The failure to build a supercollider.

Too busy building advanced semiconductor fabs--those are
hugely expensive.

2) Creationalism, the view that the World is no older than
the Ice Age.

Quite a lot of people here, most in fact, don't believe in
that. Still, the fundamentalist conservatives are inhibiting
progress.

3) Governmenr interference with things like Stem Cell
research.

Got more specific examples; this seems trivial by itself.

4) The US is now a lot less welcoming to foreigners than it
was in the time of Kennedy.

You don't live here, do you? Spanish has become the 2nd
national language by default. We're not as bilingual as
Canada but our economic wealth attracts much immigration.

--Damon