Orion Atlas Mount?

Old February 10th 06, 10:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Orion Atlas Mount?

"Jan Owen" wrote

Jan Owen wrote:

The Atlas/EQ6 may be just a tad large for that scope,

There is no such thing !!!!!!!!

--
AM

No such thing as WHAT???

There is no such thing as a mount being too large for any given scope.

Old February 10th 06, 10:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Jan Owen" wrote in message

"AM" wrote in message

There is no such thing !!!!!!!!
--
AM

No such thing as WHAT???

Not sure, but you gotta love his enthusiasm!!!!

Ed T.

Old February 10th 06, 10:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Jan Owen wrote:
"AM" wrote in message

Jan Owen wrote:

The Atlas/EQ6 may be just a tad large for that scope,

There is no such thing !!!!!!!!

--
AM

No such thing as WHAT???

As a mount that too large for an OTA.
I always believe bigger is better. There are
times I am tempted to sell the C 11, and put the
C 8 back on my G 11.

A C 8 OTA on a G 11 will spoil you in terms of what
ya think stable is

--
AM

http://sctuser.home.comcast.net

CentOS 4.2 KDE 3.3
Old February 10th 06, 10:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"AM" wrote in message
Jan Owen wrote:
"AM" wrote in message

Jan Owen wrote:

The Atlas/EQ6 may be just a tad large for that scope,

There is no such thing !!!!!!!!

--
AM

No such thing as WHAT???

As a mount that too large for an OTA.
I always believe bigger is better. There are
times I am tempted to sell the C 11, and put the
C 8 back on my G 11.

A C 8 OTA on a G 11 will spoil you in terms of what
ya think stable is

--
AM

Yeah, I subscribed to that theory, up to a point, for about the first twenty
years after I got into amateur astronomy.

But as I got older, my back helped educate me that larger isn't ALWAYS
better.

Finding a good combination of stability and portability have become more
important in the last decade, and I have significantly downsized both my
scopes and mounts, and I'm STILL downsizing...

The best combination you can buy is one you USE.

Today a 13" scope is my largest. Once upon a time, I never used one that
small, because it just wouldn't show me the DSO I like, the way I wanted to
SEE them.

But age and my back helped me understand that my body couldn't keep up with
my astronomical 'druthers, so after learning how to use tools like
refrigerator dollies to move the big scopes, and hand trucks to move the not
so big scopes, I got rid of most of the stuff that would hurt me, and even
the 13" is in jeopardy now...

So, while an ED 80 would definitely be rock-solid on an AP 1200 mount, I
don't think there would be much point...

--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.6
Longitude: -112.3

Old February 10th 06, 10:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Howard Lester" wrote in message

"Jan Owen" wrote

Jan Owen wrote:

The Atlas/EQ6 may be just a tad large for that scope,

There is no such thing !!!!!!!!

--
AM

No such thing as WHAT???

There is no such thing as a mount being too large for any given scope.

That's interesting... coming from you...

Old February 10th 06, 10:52 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Jan Owen" wrote

There is no such thing !!!!!!!!

--
AM

No such thing as WHAT???

There is no such thing as a mount being too large for any given scope.

That's interesting... coming from you...

I should have specified that that is what I believe "AM" meant.

Old February 11th 06, 12:04 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Those are the comments I'm looking for. Hate to sign up up with those yahoo
groups.

"Stephen Paul" wrote in message

"Doink" wrote in message
Anyone have any experience with this mount? I'm considering the newest
one with "Goto" but can't find anything on it. I'm concerned about the
quality of the electronics---not a strong suite with Orion---and the
height maximum.

Doink

My observing buddy has the SkyWatched EQ-6 with SkyScan, and it is
actually a very nice GoTo system. When it slews at high speed, it is a lot
less "grindy" and a lot more pleasant sounding than others. It's not as
loud, and it's accuracy is excellent (as are most). It is very well
self-contained with just the one cable from the handset being exposed
(just like the fork mount scopes), and the power cable to battery or AC
adapter going to the base of the head.

Not sure about the tracking accuracy for imaging, but it is a definitely a
fine, robust visual mount. It handles my C9.25 with an AstroZap aluminum
dewshield like butta'.

I've even considered the possibility of selling my G-11w/DSCs to get one
of my own. But, it will need to track well for imaging. The G-11 is an
amazing (disgusting) weave of wires when you have the drive cables, DSC
cables, ST-4 cables, anti-dew heater cable from the controller to the
scope objective, and the power cables for all four items, plus the DSLR
shutter release cable. Not to mention if you use a laptop with a CCD.

Eliminating the drive wires, the DSC cables and the DSC power cable
suddenly seems like a real plus. :-)

-Stephen

Old February 11th 06, 08:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"AM" wrote in message
Jan Owen wrote:
No such thing as WHAT???

As a mount that too large for an OTA.
I always believe bigger is better. There are
times I am tempted to sell the C 11, and put the
C 8 back on my G 11.

A C 8 OTA on a G 11 will spoil you in terms of what
ya think stable is

Why not compromise?.... the C9.25 is also very stable on the G-11, and it
provides significantly better views than a C8, IME.