Another new planetary system imaged

Old December 5th 09, 07:02 AM posted to sci.astro
Gordon Stangler

Default Another new planetary system imaged

From http://aitj-co.com/gcsgz5/blog/?p=693 and
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-tus120109.php.

A new star system with planets, GL 578 b was directly imaged using the
Hawaii based Subaru telescope, a Princeton news press blares. GL 578
b is a star 51 light years away, with a slightly larger then Jupiter
sized planet in a Jupiter sized orbit, leaving hope for Earth like
planets orbiting the Sun-like star.

I imagine that Kepler will take a look at the system when it gets a
chance. After all, 51 light years is really just a hop, skip and jump
from here.

Based on TV history, if there were aliens listening in on GL 578 b,
they could be watching Captain Kangaroo, or the first re-runs of I
Love Lucy. One should note that the appearance of aliens at GL 578 b
could be answered soon, for if they started broadcasting signals back
at us when they started getting our signals, we could get their
signals as early as 2029, 102 years after the first TV broadcasts.
Old December 5th 09, 07:48 AM posted to sci.astro
Mike Dworetsky

Gordon Stangler wrote:
From http://aitj-co.com/gcsgz5/blog/?p=693 and
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-tus120109.php.

A new star system with planets, GL 578 b was directly imaged using the
Hawaii based Subaru telescope, a Princeton news press blares. GL 578
b is a star 51 light years away, with a slightly larger then Jupiter
sized planet in a Jupiter sized orbit, leaving hope for Earth like
planets orbiting the Sun-like star.

I imagine that Kepler will take a look at the system when it gets a
chance. After all, 51 light years is really just a hop, skip and jump
from here.

Based on TV history, if there were aliens listening in on GL 578 b,
they could be watching Captain Kangaroo, or the first re-runs of I
Love Lucy. One should note that the appearance of aliens at GL 578 b

Or they may conclude from the broadcasts received that there is no
intelligent life on Earth worth communicating with, and stay silent.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

Old December 5th 09, 03:21 PM posted to sci.astro
Gordon Stangler

On Dec 5, 1:48*am, "Mike Dworetsky"
wrote:
Gordon Stangler wrote:
Fromhttp://aitj-co.com/gcsgz5/blog/?p=693and
[...]

Although true, I am of the opinion that if they, much like us,
received a series of non-random modulated signals they would be at
least curious. After all, they/we have technology, so why not check
it out?

SETI scientists are still looking for a repeat of the Big Ear signal
of 1977. We as a species have made terrific advances in every
scientific field there is, with many of these advances being driven by
curiosity, or our desire to discover. Technology directly derived
from science can then be said to be a child of curiosity.

If it holds true for us, why should we assume it is any different for
other intelligent species?
Old December 5th 09, 08:53 PM posted to sci.astro
BradGuth

wrote:

Gordon Stangler wrote:
[...]

Don't tell anyone about the Sean DRILL or whatever use of laser
cannons for transmitting terrific interstellar data packets.

~ BG
Old December 5th 09, 10:29 PM posted to sci.astro
Father Haskell

On Dec 5, 2:02*am, Gordon Stangler wrote:
Fromhttp://aitj-co.com/gcsgz5/blog/?p=693andhttp://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-12/pu-tus120109.php.

[...]

What sucks is, 51 years from now, they'll have to buy
digital converters.
Old December 5th 09, 11:57 PM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Gordon Stangler wrote:
I imagine that Kepler will take a look at the system when it gets a
chance. After all, 51 light years is really just a hop, skip and jump
from here.

Is Kepler even looking at that direction? Kepler points only towards
Cygnus, Lyra, & Draco constellations. Where is GL 578 located,
constellation wise?

Yousuf Khan
Old December 6th 09, 04:34 AM posted to sci.astro
Gordon Stangler

On Dec 5, 4:29*pm, Father Haskell wrote:
[...]

that is a blessing is disguise.. I am sure they will have grown tired
of our reality TV, and will change the damn channel.
Old December 6th 09, 04:45 AM posted to sci.astro
Gordon Stangler

On Dec 5, 5:57*pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Gordon Stangler wrote:
I imagine that Kepler will take a look at the system when it gets a
chance. *After all, 51 light years is really just a hop, skip and jump
from here.

Is Kepler even looking at that direction? Kepler points only towards
Cygnus, Lyra, & Draco constellations. Where is GL 578 located,
constellation wise?

* * * * Yousuf Khan

It is also known as 45 Bootis. It is located at 15h 07m 17.95s, +24
degrees 52' 10.5". It is also called HR 5634, and HD 134083, if that
helps.

Looking at star maps, it is not that far off from Draco, Ursa Minor,
and Ursa Major. Kepler may be able to see divert some attention that
way.
Old December 6th 09, 04:54 AM posted to sci.astro
Gordon Stangler

On Dec 5, 10:17*pm, Dan Birchall
wrote:
(Yousuf Khan) wrote:
*Gordon Stangler wrote:
I imagine that Kepler will take a look at the system when it gets a
chance. *After all, 51 light years is really just a hop, skip and jump
from here.

*Is Kepler even looking at that direction? Kepler points only towards
*Cygnus, Lyra, & Draco constellations. Where is GL 578 located,
*constellation wise?

GJ 758 (oft mis-typed as GL 758) is in Lyra, according to Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GJ_758- but I'm not sure how many of the
actual science targets for the project are.

This is likely only the first of many announcements, since it was
found during instrument engineering prior to the official start this
October of the 5-year SEEDS (Strategic Exploration of Exoplanets
and Disks) project.

The target section of that project includes - see section 2 ofhttp://www.naoj.org/Science/SACM/Senryaku/SEEDSProposal070731submit.pdf
- looking for planets around 100 stars within 100 light years of earth,
as well as 236 more wthin 650 light years, and looking for protoplanetary
disks around another 185 planets within 650 light years.

I wasn't at the summit during either of the SEEDS engineering runs
where they looked at GJ 758, but I'm the scope operator for the first
seven nights of SEEDS (which totals 120 nights over 5 years) - three
over Halloween weekend, and four more during Christmas week. *Seen
some pretty trippy pictures on the observer consoles. *(Everything's
in psychedelic rainbow false-color. *I'm hoping to do a lot more
operating for the project over the years.

-D

--
djb@ | Dan Birchall, Night Operation Assistant, Subaru Telescope/NAOJ.
naoj | Views I express are my own, certainly not those of my employer.

Hi Dan, thanks for the info. I will update my blog.

BTW, did you post this info to Fark.com? That's where I got my link
from
Old December 6th 09, 05:08 AM posted to sci.astro
Greg Hennessy[_2_]

On 2009-12-06, Gordon Stangler wrote:
Looking at star maps, it is not that far off from Draco, Ursa Minor,
and Ursa Major. Kepler may be able to see divert some attention that
way.

Kepler will be imaging the same section of sky for its lifetime.